my wicked extreme i think it's damaged

dimkrom

Newly Enlightened
my wicked extreme i think it\'s damaged

today i notice that the spot of my extreme laser isn't clear but it has some artifacts (if this is the right word) around the spot, in a distance around 1.5m.
What may caused this ? is it a crystal problem or laser diode problem? Should i send it for replacement ?
I have it only 8 days. Does the wickedlasers replace it? or i send and i have to wait for ages to get it back ? any experience from others?

you can see some imagers here
http://users.forthnet.gr/the/dimkrom/

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: my wicked extreme i think it\'s damaged

It might just be dust on the final focus optic. I dont own one of the newer ones, but I am pretty sure it ie easy to get to the outsice face of this lens. A 'puffer' could be used to blow ant debris off, or a dry q-tip to gentally brush it clean.
Jeff

dimkrom

Newly Enlightened

"A 'puffer' could be used to blow ant debris off, or a dry q-tip "

Sorry but i didn't understand, what is puffer? how can i clean it? can you describe more how?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

a puffer is a rubber bulb with a nozzle on it (like a infants ear cleaner bulb) to blow clean dry air. The filan focus lens is the one you would see if you look directally in the business end (with it off of course). That lens will cause most if the beam 'fuzzieness' when it gets dirty
Jeff

dimkrom

Newly Enlightened

i think it's something else except dirty because i see this artifacts around the spot during operation when i shooting to the wall (suddenly appears). i also use an air spray but nothing happend. maybe it's an inside lense and not the final.

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened

I had a similar problem, but it came after i tried to allign the crystals in stage 2. For me, I was able to solve it for the most part by turning the crystals slightly as well as drilling a larger hole in the front aperture (with it removed of course). Apparently a part of the beam was reflecting off of the hole in the aperture and possible in the laser barrel. But if this is a wicked laser thats been modded professionally, you may not want to go to that extreme. Some leakage around the dot is to be expected, especially in handheld lasers so i probably wouldnt worry too much.

*edited to correct spelling of allign*

bootleg2go

Enlightened

I think term "modded professionally" is an oxymoron isn't it? It's the amatures that mod their lasers as well as the small business owner reselling lasers at a profit, the real professionals design their lasers for a certain power level and then manufacture them.

Jack

LaserMod

Enlightened

About 4/10 lasers I've found after modding (sometimes just with the pot mod) have 'spill' problems after about 20s use.

The beam either splits into two or goes out of alignment and hits the side of the aperture. It's not a huge problem and IMO it is a limitation of the technology - stability and a perfect beam can never be acheived using DPSS methods and without enough heat management.

Even my Phoenix has a 'spill' problem when warming up but I know that this is not really a fault and in order to correct it I would have to go through several to find a good one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

It looks like dust/dirt on the lens Dimkrom. Actually the lines across the dot are caused by smears on the lens - possibly from cleaning previously.

Try using sligthly damp (with water) household kitchen roll. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast

i've come to the conclusion, dont mess with your good lasers! wait until they start to get dim, then experiment with it. it'll be a couple of years before i begin thinking about messing with my phoenix. by then i'll be partially blind and wont be able to if i wanted to