Narrow Beam Pocket Flashlight

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh's lights typically require too much amp draw for my pocket. I'd prefer a manufactured product for pocket carry.

He is the best mod guy I know so if I cannot find anything I will get in touch with him. Thanks.

I think the main reason to go with Vinh is his use of the osram white flat emitters. The SC64 is one of the smallest 18650 lights around do if you want more throw without increasing size out current draw you're gonna need a small, high intensity emitter.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think the main reason to go with Vinh is his use of the osram white flat emitters. The SC64 is one of the smallest 18650 lights around do if you want more throw without increasing size out current draw you're gonna need a small, high intensity emitter.
That's a good point but with the tiny reflector I don't know how much throw it would add. Has he ever done an sc64?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have never seen an optic with good throw and decent spill like a reflector. I'm all for anything that does the job.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
+

..wonder if a very narrow optic w/ a XP-L HI would get you there, maybe in the FW1A or similar chassis.
just a thought

oh, I see optics have been mentioned

add:

The short length you want is an issue;
because really deep reflectors (to get a narrow beam) in a short/pocket 18650 light just don't exist ----- simply length limitations.

What is you took a D25LC2 Mini 'twisty' @ 4.25"
put a Carclo 8.7° 20 mm Circular Beam Optic in it, part# 10193
I think it would fit

It may not be 1000lm, but you might have to sacrifice something in what you want.
I am interested in the FW1A but none are available.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's funny but I just got an ad for the FW1A with sst20 that sounds perfect. I'm not at all familiar with the product but it does use high amp unprotected batteries so I wonder if anyone is familiar with the FW3A safety record? The 1A and 3A are very similar from what I can tell.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point but with the tiny reflector I don't know how much throw it would add. Has he ever done an sc64?
Not that I know of. Zebras are not very mod friendly even just to swap emitters with the same footprint, much less changing the board for a different size emitter.

I am interested in the FW1A but none are available.
The FW1A is available right now from Neal's Gadgets.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks! Just waiting to hear any comments about safety record of the similar FW3A

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but what about the Lumintop GT Mini or Micro? The Micro uses a 14500 battery and will put out 1000 lumens in turbo.

boo5ted

Enlightened
I don't know who Neal is but I'll check back in a month.

As said before Neal's Gadgets.

I'm not sure how you define "throwy" ...but it's not the word I would use to describe my FW3A. Floody would be my choice to describe it. I can't tell for certain which lens I received since it took over a month to get delivered and there was no communication from Neal.

That's because it's a triple emitter light, they are not designed to be a thrower they are designed to be wide floody lights lol.

At this point the FW1A intrigues me so I will at least wait for a price and specs before I choose something else. Most throwers have big heads or they are silly long for no reason. Every Surefire I've ever used is an inch longer than it should be.

http://www.lumintop.com/fw1a.html

Neals has them for $43.95 but you can find codes for cheaper than that if you know where to look

It's funny but I just got an ad for the FW1A with sst20 that sounds perfect. I'm not at all familiar with the product but it does use high amp unprotected batteries so I wonder if anyone is familiar with the FW3A safety record? The 1A and 3A are very similar from what I can tell.

I've had my FW3A since mid July and my FW3T since early August, one of them has been in my pocket everyday since and I've had zero issues with them. I'm really interested in getting a FW1 light but just waiting on the titanium version.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
As said before Neal's Gadgets.

That's because it's a triple emitter light, they are not designed to be a thrower they are designed to be wide floody lights lol.

http://www.lumintop.com/fw1a.html

Neals has them for $43.95 but you can find codes for cheaper than that if you know where to look

I've had my FW3A since mid July and my FW3T since early August, one of them has been in my pocket everyday since and I've had zero issues with them. I'm really interested in getting a FW1 light but just waiting on the titanium version.
Thanks, very useful info. Just need to pick the emitter.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Illumn has the FW1A for Pre order > same price w/ coupon as Neals

..pick tint at bottom of page

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a flashlight the size of my sc64 with more throw and a narrower beam with 1000 lumens or more? The sc64 is 1300 lumens but just too floody for me.

Bob McBob mods Zebralights,

Vinh makes a throwy RRT-01

and yes the FW1a may be an option to try

share your thoughts on what you buy :)

sent you a PM with links where to buy

recDNA

Flashaholic
With FW1A would you recommend Sony VTC6 or Samsung GA or something else?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'd highly recommend Sanyo NCR18650GA flat top.
One of the very best 18650

you can find for as little as $5.50 maybe less

Last edited:

CLB

Newly Enlightened
RecDNA, the FW3A was a multi-year project by BLF, and a German forum. I think it's a terrific little light, with the nifty Anduril interface, and I like supporting this kind of open source innovation. On BLF, you can find more information than you ever wanted to know about the FW3A as well as the FW1A, including battery suggestions. The NCR18650GA is a good choice for longest runtime, but remember this is an FET light, so a higher drain cell like the Samsung 30Q (or Sony VTC6) will give you the highest output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
RecDNA, the FW3A was a multi-year project by BLF, and a German forum. I think it's a terrific little light, with the nifty Anduril interface, and I like supporting this kind of open source innovation. On BLF, you can find more information than you ever wanted to know about the FW3A as well as the FW1A, including battery suggestions. The NCR18650GA is a good choice for longest runtime, but remember this is an FET light, so a higher drain cell like the Samsung 30Q (or Sony VTC6) will give you the highest output.
Good tip. Has anyone measured the max amp draw the Fw3a or FW1A use? I'm surprised it is more than 10 amps!