Nebo MYCRO: a 400 lumen powerhouse the size of a quarter!

fyrstormer

Banned
Always something, isn't it? PWM is the sign of poor programming/design. I would have gotten this if the PWM wasn't noticeable. Also a shame they don't have a CRI version.
1) How would you achieve variable brightness without tint-shift, if not by using PWM? I agree that VHF PWM is preferable to anything humans can perceive, but as far as I know, PWM is the only way to get variable brightness without tint-shift.

2) All light sources have a CRI rating. You mean Hi-CRI.

After 3 days of usage it is my favorite light. Considering I'm an old fart that grew up on 2 D cell flashlights that produced 8 to 12 lumens in a form factor larger than my Big Bruiser, something this small and convenient cranking out 150 lumens for 90 minutes is perfect for me. As soon as a manufacture builds a light in the same size as the Mycro 400 and uses a single XHP35 HD for a 10 second burst of 1666 lumens, that would be my new favorite. So anyone in the industry, IMHO a keychain light with 150 lumens with 90 minute duration, 50 lumens for 3 hours, and 15 lumens for 7.5 hours and 1666 lumens for many 10 second bursts would get my vote.
1666 lumens in a package so small is probably doable with current technology (though it would require a high-quality LiPo battery that would raise the cost significantly), but such a small package can't collimate light very effectively, so the vast majority of those 1666 lumens would be emitted as spill. If you're looking for a "wall of light", then that's fine; if you want more throw you pretty much have to get a larger light. TIR optics can collimate light more effectively than reflectors can, but not enough to make a really throwy beam in such a tiny package. I've been on a Surefire kick for the past couple months and I've been surprised at just how effective ~100 lumens can be at a distance when they're focused tightly. You'd think I'd have learned that lesson at some point over the past 10 years, but...I have no explanation for how I missed it.

Last edited:

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
After 3 days of usage it is my favorite light. Considering I'm an old fart that grew up on 2 D cell flashlights that produced 8 to 12 lumens in a form factor larger than my Big Bruiser, something this small and convenient cranking out 150 lumens for 90 minutes is perfect for me. As soon as a manufacture builds a light in the same size as the Mycro 400 and uses a single XHP35 HD for a 10 second burst of 1666 lumens, that would be my new favorite. So anyone in the industry, IMHO a keychain light with 150 lumens with 90 minute duration, 50 lumens for 3 hours, and 15 lumens for 7.5 hours and 1666 lumens for many 10 second bursts would get my vote.

Same, I have it on my lanyard and it's now my multipurpose 'go-to' light, unless I need something brighter.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
LED flashlights that are powered by rechargeable lithium batteries are addictive. I've had the Big Bruiser for around 10 years. Picked up the Nebo 400 last week and thus restarted that damn addiction. Tonight placed an order with Bang Good to round out my collection. The Big Bruiser is my flood 3000 lumen light. The Nebo 400 is my EDC 400 lumen light, so tonight's order fills in the gap of a thrower. Went with the Astrolux MF04 which should be a fun light here in the southern New Mexico desert. There isn't any light pollution and the air is so clear that I can see the glow of El Paso, Texas lights 75 miles away.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Curse it...a Nebo Mycro dropped into my Amazon cart today,and refused to leave until I bought it.

Please return to this thread with your opinion on this nifty little light. Small and powerful with good run times is my new bar for future purchases. Does anyone know of any light as small (or smaller) with more lumens? I believe the Nebo Mycro is the smallest 400 lumen light on the market.

Latest posts