Need a backup duty light

Jhawthorn

Newly Enlightened
I work 3rd shift and currently use a Surefire 6p with 18650s. Would like to stay with the same batteries. I am ok with recomendations that would involve purchasing a bored host. I have been looking at the Surefire P2X but need to learn a little about the single, dual, and intellibeam first.

Another thing is I use the holster below and would like something that would fit it unless you have recommendatiins for a holster without plastic (I take my pistol inside and leave my belt in the trunk in the winter so I dont want it to chip/break)

*Link removed - see notice at top of page.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Just to clarify do you use the 6P as a back up and you are looking to replace it or are you looking for something to back up the 6P?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered just replacing the drop in?
Lots of them out there in all sorts of outputs, runtimes tints and cost.
Look at Adventure Sports, EDC+ and Malkoff to name but a few.
I would suggest lookung at a Malkoff host, but it basically the same as your SF with a Malkoff drop in and a McClicky switch, both of which you could fit in your 6P.
P

Jhawthorn

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered just replacing the drop in?
Lots of them out there in all sorts of outputs, runtimes tints and cost.
Look at Adventure Sports, EDC+ and Malkoff to name but a few.
I would suggest lookung at a Malkoff host, but it basically the same as your SF with a Malkoff drop in and a McClicky switch, both of which you could fit in your 6P.
P

I have a malkoff drop in for the 6p and mcclicky. Posted this to find a second light to have something at home as well and swap back and forth and essentially another light to play around with.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
You haven't mentioned a budget so I'll recommend what I consider to be the best LEO belt light out there!

Malkoff M91T MD3, 600 lumens constant, no drop down, small enough to always be on your Duty Belt, but long enough to tuck under your arm when checking Doc's, runs on 2 x 18500 (1700mah) rechargeable batteries for 1hr 23 mins (will also run on 3 x CR123's if your department supplies them).

The optional High/Low ring is a must have, it has a low of 25 lumens, which is suitable for checking documents etc. Simply untighten the head a fraction of a turn to activate Low mode, tighten head and it's back to High mode. Tail cap clicky switch can be pressed with whole of thumb pad for momentary flash when carrying out a tactical search etc.

The M91T is fitted with a TIR lens that provides more throw than a standard reflector but it still offers sufficient spill. It's not too bright, on high, for dwelling searches etc. but it's also bright enough for open area searches.

Malkoff's fit in with the 'Keep It Simple Stupid' philosophy which means you won't have any issues operating it in a high stress situation, which could be a life saver.

Malkoff's are built like tanks, they are very robust and reliable, they are simple to use and come with a lifetime warranty, they also offer an LEO discount.

I am not affiliated to Malkoff's, I'm a retired LEO and a very satisfied Malkoff customer, I carried Surefire lights for 20 years of my career but I would carry a Malkoff now.

With the High/Low ring installed the price is about $153 with the LEO discount.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the MD2 or MD3 light....

If you are looking to stay with Surefire though, The Surefire P1R Peacekeeper is also a good option. It is similar to the P2X but the P1R takes 18650 batteries.

You can get the P1R in either dual stage (low/high) or tactical momentary high only.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Look into the Elzetta Bones. Uses 18650 or regular 123's as well.

Otherwise the Malkoff drop in is great. If you like the tint of the 6P as is you'll love Malkoffs Neutral drop in.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the Lumens Factory Seraph 6. I you don't want the single mode LED it comes with, order the body only, then add a Malkoff or your other favorite P60 drop in. The Seraph 6 takes an 18650 with no problems, and comes with both a tactical twisty tail cap and a clicky, along with both a smooth and slightly crenelated bezel. Great light from a great company.

Jhawthorn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I am going to look into the MD2 and 3. Do you know how long the MD3 is? I didnt see it listed.

Any suggestions on specific model for MD2?

Also sugesstion for 18500 batteries for the MD3

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I am going to look into the MD2 and 3. Do you know how long the MD3 is? I didnt see it listed.

M91T MD3 is 6 1/2" long

Any suggestions on specific model for MD2?

M61HOT with High/Low ring.

Also sugesstion for 18500 batteries for the MD3

I use 2 x KeepPower 1700 mAh in mine

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Think of the MD3 as 1 cell longer than your 6P... or ie a 9P.
It seems Gene sell the body with a switch but not a turnkey light like the MD2. Look up "parts and misc items"

Last edited:

Jhawthorn

Newly Enlightened
Went ahead with the MD3 and love it already with the high/low switch. Thanks for the recommendations