Need a new scorpion hunting light

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Jaxman U1 for fairly close-up stuff as it is very intensive and runs on 1 x 18650 li-ion battery.

I have a very bright UVBeast with 100 LEDs installed.

It runs on 6 x AA batteries and covers a good area.

Both will not disappoint you.

CHEERS

Koam

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how much longer this will be on sale but Gearbest has the S2+UV for $16.00. Must have a Gearbest account. Log into your Gearbest account and use code SD365NM. Or search the slickdeals site for the thread and link.

Last edited:

stickx

Newly Enlightened
Will the Convoy run on 2 x CR123? I couldn't find that info on the gearbest web site.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the Convoy run on 2 x CR123?

don't know but
it might be a bad idea because the voltage is different
2xCR123 would be 6V, one 18650 is 3.7 volts :)

You could run 1 RCR123, plus a dummy cell.. I don't see any benefit to that though

google has more info, here is a shortcut:
http://bfy.tw/Btif

Last edited:

greatbluewhite

Newly Enlightened
How floody is the Convoy S2+ UV? Based on the video on its Aliexpress page, the beam angle looked tight - Probably more suited to shining an object in front of you, e.g. passport, ID, bank notes, as opposed to a 'search-based' activity, e.g. looking for something fluorescent in a wide area, which requires a floody beam (less need to move the beam around).

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how much longer this will be on sale but Gearbest has the S2+UV for $16.00. Must have a Gearbest account. Log into your Gearbest account and use code SD365NM. Or search the slickdeals site for the thread and link.

Thanks for the heads up on that! Just got to find that gitd o ring now.....

Cheers

Dave

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
How floody is the Convoy S2+ UV? Based on the video on its Aliexpress page, the beam angle looked tight - Probably more suited to shining an object in front of you, e.g. passport, ID, bank notes, as opposed to a 'search-based' activity, e.g. looking for something fluorescent in a wide area, which requires a floody beam (less need to move the beam around).

It's pretty narrow but the scorpions glow like crazy once you "hit" them.

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the convoy. The bark scorpion who made a finger tip numb for 2 years glows bright green not blue. Might be a species or post-mortem difference. I'm a little afraid to take the Convoy camping here in Arizona. I go straight into stomp mode when I see big spider eyes glowing back at me with conventional light.

Mike

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the convoy. The bark scorpion who made a finger tip numb for 2 years glows bright green not blue. Might be a species or post-mortem difference. I'm a little afraid to take the Convoy camping here in Arizona. I go straight into stomp mode when I see big spider eyes glowing back at me with conventional light.

Mike

Get a mount for it and put it on a shotgun, you can take care of them without getting up from the campfire! LOL

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a drag, would you mind sharing how you got tagged?

I haven't been stung...yet. My mom got hit by one while she was cleaning her house, it was hiding on some sticks she has in a vase and she was dusting and it fell on her hand and stung her near the top knuckle other pinky. She said it hurt pretty bad and could feel her arm getting warm as the venom spread.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
that ruins a perfectly good meal
I suggest roasting, with a blowtorch :)

Chinese delicacy:
Scorpions have stingers that aren't removed but are not poisonous when exposed to heat
34528406080_3d39364d27_b.jpg

in china they eat the stinger:

in Mexico they remove the stinger:

Last edited:

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
So the venom is "deactivated" by heat, but does the stinger still poke holes in the roof of you mouth? I think I will use the shotgun, where appropriate, and stick to chips and salsa for snacking on!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Great thread. I bought a cheapy 9 LED UV light before going on our hiking trip. Found quite a few scorpions sitting on the lower ends of trees, with basically just their pincers and heads poking out.