Need a replacement/upgrade for my old faithful pop can flashlight

ErnieMccracken

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a hobbyist or collector, just need something manageable that will throw a ton of light for use in fields. Time to retire my old one.

I bought this one over a decade ago from a group buy here, described only as:

"Hello Guys, Here we do a group buy for DRY 3xCREE XM-L T6 Cool White / Warm Tint 3x18650 Hi power Flashlight.

- Version A - 4 mode with Turbo-- Lo>Mid>Hi>Turbo 5A with Step down - 3x 18650"

What's the modern equivalent?

x6DjMvk.png

FVI83yu.png

ZqTU8nd.png

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess it really depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

I have a few 3 x 18650 lights, but honestly I find them heavy and bulky for the most part. A single 21700 or 26650 light might be able to offer similar performance in a smaller package. Although it depends on how long you want to run it on high outputs, as bigger torches can handle more heat.

Do you have a preference on beam profile or tint?

For example the D11 from Int'l Outdoor is compact, but with a 4000mAh 21700 battery will run a long time. Great choice of emitters and tints too.

It is compact and pocket friendly.

However if you want something bigger and heavier may I suggest something like the Convoy L8

It uses a monster 26800 battery and has built in USB charing. The large reflector and big LED make it way better than any of my multi emitter lights when out across the fields.

I know neither are exactly the same format as the one you have now. but I think either would impress.

ErnieMccracken

Newly Enlightened
However if you want something bigger and heavier may I suggest something like the Convoy L8

It uses a monster 26800 battery and has built in USB charing. The large reflector and big LED make it way better than any of my multi emitter lights when out across the fields.

I know neither are exactly the same format as the one you have now. but I think either would impress.

Definitely looking for something bigger. I will check this one out. Thanks.

Not too picky about color other than I don't care for too much blue. Also my needs are mostly flood, not throw.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I recently picked up the Acebeam X80-GT2, and like it very well. 34,000 lumen monster flood light, smaller than a soda can. Well built, runs on 4 x 18650s - replaceable when needed. No external charge port, which is a good thing to me (unless it's hidden under threads and o-rings). Comes with a cool little detachable handle, and tri pod mount. Nice belt holster. Lots to like. More than $200 though, as we are living in a high inflation time period.

3_gun

Enlightened
I gota second the

Sofirn SP36 BLF Anduril 2.0 Rechargeable Flashlight 5650 lumens, 4*LH351D LEDs and Powerbank Output

. Under $60 w/batteries. The 351s give a good CRI & add the diffuser so you can use it as a lantern. As is it has a useful throw & flood plus if you run it at a level around 200L a single charge will get you about 30hrs of run time. It can also run with just one battery if you need to. Solid light, I use mine often

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that was 3500K (or possibly even 4000K) and HCRI I would be more interested myself, but I just don't see the appeal of these blue tinted LED lights. That's also just another flood design again as well with no throw. Tiny shallow little reflectors and with an LED.. which has a much larger emitter surface than a point of light like a filament or HID arc. Everything is the same these days. Just not appealing.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to skylumen .com and check out beam shots of some of Vinh's offerings. Or email him and tell him what you are looking for. If he doesn't have it he can build what you want at your price point.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm
I recently picked up the Acebeam X80-GT2, and like it very well. 34,000 lumen monster flood light, smaller than a soda can. Well built, runs on 4 x 18650s - replaceable when needed. No external charge port, which is a good thing to me (unless it's hidden under threads and o-rings). Comes with a cool little detachable handle, and tri pod mount. Nice belt holster. Lots to like. More than $200 though, as we are living in a high inflation time period.

34,000 lumens, but for how long? After 90 seconds I bet the output has dropped a lot!!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
34,000 lumens, but for how long? After 90 seconds I bet the output has dropped a lot!!
Yes, of course. I think most modern lights these days have a turbo mode that is designed for short bursts. There is no other way to dissipate the heat in a small light. I call it "headroom". The medium / high will last continuously, and the higher the turbo mode is, the higher the medium modes will be. I never use turbo for more than a half a minute or so anyway, just like I rarely hold the pedal to the floor on my car, or run my stereo amp on 10. I find that things function most efficiently in the middle to upper middle of their range. Power amps for sound reinforcement are designed to be ran at the 2:00 position, which is around 6 to 7, on a scale of 10. Hence, the "headroom".

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, of course. I think most modern lights these days have a turbo mode that is designed for short bursts. There is no other way to dissipate the heat in a small light. I call it "headroom". The medium / high will last continuously, and the higher the turbo mode is, the higher the medium modes will be. I never use turbo for more than a half a minute or so anyway, just like I rarely hold the pedal to the floor on my car, or run my stereo amp on 10. I find that things function most efficiently in the middle to upper middle of their range. Power amps for sound reinforcement are designed to be ran at the 2:00 position, which is around 6 to 7, on a scale of 10. Hence, the "headroom".
Trouble is, floody lights only get reasonable beam distance due to insane lumen numbers. At more modest output levels they often have very poor beam distance. So maybe no ideal for use in a field.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Trouble is, floody lights only get reasonable beam distance due to insane lumen numbers. At more modest output levels they often have very poor beam distance. So maybe no ideal for use in a field.
True, but I was going by what the OP asked for. He has a soda can light with Lo, Mid, Hi, and Turbo with step down. Looking at his multi emitter light and not a huge diameter head, it looks more like a flood light to me. He asked for a modern equivalent. I guess it depends on how big the field is, and if long and narrow, square, etc. If he asked for a thrower, I certainly would have a different recommendation.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Same. I'll only use Turbo on my lights for usually a few seconds. And, very careful not to exceed 30 seconds at most. LEDs hate heat, unlike incandescent bulbs that love heat. My favorite Klarus flashlight ended up with a fried LED. Not sure if it was due to being defective, possibly my fault for running Turbo a few seconds longer than 30. Or, perhaps due to a freshly charged battery outside of the light that needed some of its energy dissipated.

Ironically, it kept working. Ugly donut hole in the center, and the battery would get far too hot after a few seconds. Had to dispose of both the light and the battery.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I gota second the

Sofirn SP36 BLF Anduril 2.0 Rechargeable Flashlight 5650 lumens, 4*LH351D LEDs and Powerbank Output

. Under $60 w/batteries. The 351s give a good CRI & add the diffuser so you can use it as a lantern. As is it has a useful throw & flood plus if you run it at a level around 200L a single charge will get you about 30hrs of run time. It can also run with just one battery if you need to. Solid light, I use mine often

Sold!!!
Now the waiting begins.

3_gun

Enlightened

$40 with batteries for this during a FLASH SALE ! ! ! Crazy good deal

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have few pop can lights, I agree with the poster who said they are bulky, most are, but some are smaller than others, the smallest I got is noktogon d18, 3x18650. I do not think you can find anything smaller in that class.