Need advise choosing bike light and A place to buy from

zhd

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! New here, was looking for some information about diy led stuff and boy, this place has some.
I was planing to build a nice "to see in city" bike light.
So, that didn't work out, i chickened out. So i am -for now- just gonna pick one and use it for a while. Because i really need one right now, and there is this chance that i might mess it up if i try to build one. Though i have some nice ideas for a custom machined, potantiometer dimmed, batteries in the case design, it is for later :(
I need help picking one AND a place to buy from. And it would be lovely if you could throw answers to my random questions.

By reading forum, i figured these(i learned A LOT of other stuff too, but these are relevant):
-XM-L2 is superior and i should have those one my light. Preferably t6 or u2, ideally u3(?)
-Solarstorm x2 is GOOD,
-but the batteries suck. Gotta get some reliable 3400Mah 18650 batteries.
-There are fakes. And even if it says it xm-l2, i can't trust that.
-XM-L2 series is ideally driven at 1.8a to 2.5a. That should give 800 Lumens per emitter(?)

I found a really great deal, XM-L2 SolarStorm X2 without batteries for $12. What do you think? Could it be fake or not be XM-L2? Also they dont write the binning, could be lower than t6?

For $23, i can get one with a battery pack:

And there it is again, from another seller, looks more legit but it is also more expensive $40!:

Where should i buy it and which one of those? Or should i even get any of those? Are there any better? My aim is to get highest (lumens*runtime)/price :naughty:

Random things i wonder:
-Do li-ion batteries really have higher energy density than lipos? Panasonic 18650 3400Mah at 47 grams is very dense you know. I thought lipos are the highest energy density battery type? I have some lipos batteries lying around, i thought i could use them, but they are heavier than li-ions in per-Mah(Voltage is about the same). I know li-ions discharge rate sucks but still...
-Which led emitter has the highest output per Watt? Are there any better ones than xm-l2 in this regard? I remember reading something about xp-e2 but there are not any bike lights with those.
-In which amper, xm-l2 leds are the most efficent? Looking at the datasheet, it looked to me that it is 700mA, but i read that it is 1.8a to 2.5a everywere.
-In which discharge rate, (good)18650 batteries are the most efficent? Or does it makes any significant difference at all? I rode somewhere that if you discharge them at a rate more that it is designed to do, 3400mAh can become like 1000mAh(?)

Thank you guys. All help and advise is highly appreciated :) Cheers from Turkey!

Links deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix BT 20 and like it. Uses 2 18650 batteries. From Amazon.

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: