Need an excellent thrower.

GhostMatador

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix tk75 which is great for lighting up big rooms underground, but I feel like it lacks the throw I'm looking for when I'm riding up in the mountains and want to take a look at a peak or a road across a valley.

I see this supbeam that has 10k lumens coming up on the market but that may not be much better with throw.

I assume the size of the reflector to focus the light is a major limitation. I used to have a few of those big "20 million candle power" spotlights that had a atv battery in it. They defiantly had focused light but were too big and unreliable. (And my memory may have made them a legend in my mind)

I'm fine with a big light. I just want to be able to put it in a backpack so I can pull it out and put it on turbo for a couple minutes.

I'm fine spending around $300

What do you recommend experts?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For the throw you are looking for, I would ask if there was a range, say in meters, that you wanted to be able to to see something at, and, perhaps an example or examples of what it was you wanted to be able to tell about what you were seeing at those ranges.

The size of the beam's spot, and, the lux that it generates on your target, would be factors to consider...as some targets are higher contrast, and can be resolved with less lux, and, some are low contrast and require much higher lux to tell anything about what's out there, etc.

For throw, lights are rated in terms of cd (candela), and, those "Candlepower" ratings, such as "20 Million Candlepower" atv battery powered search lights, do not represent anything in particular, other than marketing propaganda. (A "One Million CP" light will NOT be 1 milion cp, or even close, and, still, MIGHT be brighter than a "20 Million CP" light, as there's no proportional difference between those 1 miliion and 20 million CP search lights in real life, as they are merely marketing numbers)

So, what did you want to be able to see at what range?

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Gotta keep in mind that doing so will void warranty, if that matters.

On the plus side, Vinh's "warranty" is a lot better than the OEM's...and, as his mods upgrade the wiring and heat sinking, etc, the lights end up being more reliable than stock lights anyway.

(I put Warranty" in quotes, as there is none officially, except he, as a policy, fixes any problems, which, in practice at least, serves the same function)

ven

Flashaholic
I will throw a couple in the mix,tk61vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TS-TK61vn-Throw-Queen-1735-ANSI-Lumen-622-KCD

In the next couple of weeks the tk61vn v2(new version)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?387187-TK61vn-V2&p=4464284

Same carrier as the tk75 although vinh does mod it and can use the same extension used on the tk75. If you like the tk75(hard not to as its a fantastic light) then the tk61 has the same UI.

As mentioned about getting the tk75 modded,de-domed,burn in for around 300kcd on the tk75vn KT(Killer Throw).

Lots of options:)

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the plus side, Vinh's "warranty" is a lot better than the OEM's...and, as his mods upgrade the wiring and heat sinking, etc, the lights end up being more reliable than stock lights anyway.

(I put Warranty" in quotes, as there is none officially, except he, as a policy, fixes any problems, which, in practice at least, serves the same function)

Then that is good to know. Like you said although no official warranties by Vinh, I believe his warranties seem to be better than the manufacturers. I don't see anyone complain about his services.

ven

Flashaholic
Then that is good to know. Like you said although no official warranties by Vinh, I believe his warranties seem to be better than the manufacturers. I don't see anyone complain about his services.

Vinh is 2nd to none,i have 100% confidence in him like all his customers,unlike fenix /nitecore.............well pretty much any make thats from china being honest. Sending off for weeks/months is not good!

As i have said before,its not just bumping up the current,its extra heat sinking,thicker wires etc etc that make the light superior in many ways over standard manufactured lights.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh is 2nd to none,i have 100% confidence in him like all his customers,unlike fenix /nitecore.............well pretty much any make thats from china being honest. Sending off for weeks/months is not good!

As i have said before,its not just bumping up the current,its extra heat sinking,thicker wires etc etc that make the light superior in many ways over standard manufactured lights.

Hearing that much confidence from you means a lot alright. If you have such faith in him than I don't see why others should not! :)

Nice pic with its super throw by the way!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy from Vinh with TOTAL confidence. I had a problem with one of his lights, I ship to him it's repaired and I get it back within a week.
Very impressive. His warranty is miles better than anything a company can offer.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another super flashaholic giving praise to Vinh!

Within a week you say. That is impressive. Not even Surefire can beat that!

Hopefully GhostMatador will heed the advices given here and get his tk75 sent to Vinh. He will be satisfied I think.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another vote for Vinh: You can specify what you want, you can change what you want. He stands by his products. He charges a fair price and regularly does things where he does not make any money. It is possible that he won't be around at some point in the reasonable future, but that is the case with companies and more often than not, the companies's repair policies are near dismal in duration and coverage.

If you like what you've got, get it Vinh modified. It will be a much better light made by someone who cares, and he will answer your questions with real time, rubber-meets-the-road knowledge. Be careful though, he has many repeat customers and you may be inexorably drawn in.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grab a tk61vn from him. 600kcd of throwing insanity :)

Under your budget, Fenix quality.

But honestly, I'd go tk75vnkt. It's 300kcd, and much more useful. :)

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
Another Vinh supporter here. Ordered 3 lights over the past 2 weeks and received 2 so far. I just ordered the third over the weekend. The performance on both of these lights is good to begin with and he just added PED's and now their performance is incredible.

Btw, he posted his home address all over his subforum and people have gone to his home to pick up the lights. How many people in Fenix, Surefire, etc. do you know that gave out their home addresses?

Whatever you end up choosing, come back and let us know.

GhostMatador

Newly Enlightened
Excellent information everyone!Sounds like I need to get a TK61vn and probably mod my TK75 while I'm at it.
I was reading Vihn's thread and thought I'd check before going that route, but it sounds like it's the way to go.

Teej, I'll have to do some research and testing to figure out how many meters away these things are that I'm trying to see. Good to know what I need to look at.

Also what kind of money would I need to spend to get up to the next level of thrower? To have a light that I can throw much farther than a tk61vn. Does anything even really exists?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next one up is $500. The tn36vn.

There's also the deft x, but it's an aspheric light and $900. The aspheric means it's a very small usable spot if light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I will throw a couple in the mix,tk61vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TS-TK61vn-Throw-Queen-1735-ANSI-Lumen-622-KCD

In the next couple of weeks the tk61vn v2(new version)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?387187-TK61vn-V2&p=4464284

Same carrier as the tk75 although vinh does mod it and can use the same extension used on the tk75. If you like the tk75(hard not to as its a fantastic light) then the tk61 has the same UI.

As mentioned about getting the tk75 modded,de-domed,burn in for around 300kcd on the tk75vn KT(Killer Throw).

Lots of options:)

LOL... a helicopter searchlight!
Nice pic ven :thumbsup:

ewetstone

Newly Enlightened
In search of tight/narrow beam long throw Flash Light

I will say hello to all here being a very new member and will take in any advice and suggestions gladly.

For you reading pleasure I will try and be as succinct as possible since my needs in a light are very specific.

The main purpose of this light will be tactical in nature where it will be mounted on my AR15. I have done hours of research and do believe I have browsed pretty much every big name in tactical LED's and have gone do far as to purchase several but ended up returning all but one that being a JetBeam B25C-SE 960LM. It is very well built and jetbeam states that it is ANSI tested at 960LM but I am a bit skeptical because I have a cheap Chinese unit that has a sharper longer throw...go figure.

So...please suggest a unit where the beam is extremely tight with very little spill. Of course it should have a throw of a minimum of 250 meters of white light. would like to keep it to one emitter if possible but open on that.

One absolute condition is the body Diameter has to be 25.4mm or 1" give or take about 1-2mm or .98" to 1.02". I believe this will fit most standard 1" tactical light mounts.

Was that succinct? maybe not...sorry.;)

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagtac s200cvn xpg2.
Can be found in the modified lights section. Modder vinhnguyen54. This is the furthest throwing light in its class. I've mounted mine on my mossberg many times.