Need brighter blue and amber bulbs to replace clear 921s...

B1K

Newly Enlightened
...preferably ones that don't rely on the reflector housing that they're mounted in.

To make a long story longer:

In April, we purchased a new 2WD Ford pickup to build up to pre-run the Baja 1000 in Mexico.

Then we were invited to join one of the professional racing teams (in a support role).

The SCORE rule book requires that all race vehicles have a rear-facing amber dust light, and the slower vehicles are required to have a rear-facing blue-colored "no nerfing" light. Obviously, these lights should be high-mounted, due to the terrain. They are only used off-road, on the race course, so there are no legal problems.

We are not a race vehicle, but we want to mirror the rules, as there will be race vehicles pre-running the course at the same time that we are, and I really don't want to get rammed by a Trophy Truck.

Like all modern pickups, ours has a high-mounted light housing on the rear of the cab above the rear window, that contains the CHMSL (Center High-Mount Stop Lamp), and two good-sized cargo lights.

The cargo lights have fluted lenses and reflectors that appear to be shaped to put a good amount of their light into the bed, but a lot of it spills over the tailgate, making them fairly visible from the rear.

They use 921 bulbs that appear to be pointed straight out the back, parallel to the ground. I hope I'm explaining this part clearly enough to be understood.

I'm wondering if there are projector-type LED bulbs available (in blue and amber) that would be brighter than what I've got now, so that the light would be projected straight out the back, so that the light pretty much goes straight put the back, instead of the downward-focused reflector sending the light downwards.

As far as I can tell, this is not a CANBUS application- I removed one bulb and drove the truck around, and got no error messages.

In my searching so far, I don't know enough about this subject to be able to tell the difference from the junk and the good stuff, so I'm hoping that you guys can point me in the right direction.

I've already got the wiring diagrams for our truck and have identified the right wire to cut where it comes out of the BCM (Body Control Module), so that I can put it on a fused switch in the dash and wire it to a constant 12V source.

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
I've already got the wiring diagrams for our truck and have identified the right wire to cut where it comes out of the BCM (Body Control Module), so that I can put it on a fused switch in the dash and wire it to a constant 12V source.
I can't help you find bulbs, but if you do, double-check the wiring at the cargo light before you start cutting wires. Some BCM switch the ground, not the hot.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
I can't help you find bulbs, but if you do, double-check the wiring at the cargo light before you start cutting wires. Some BCM switch the ground, not the hot.
I already read the wiring diagram- it's the hot wire that goes from the BCM to the lights.

Lark Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any examples of what other participants are using for lights in this application? Something tells me that the optics of a cargo light aren't going to work adequately to advertise your vehicle's presence to others coming up on you under the prescibed conditions. And this would probably be exacerbated by using an LED drop-in in a lamp designed for an incandescent light source... I'm not aware of any adequate LED replacements for a 921 being on the market at this time.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why a red rear fog lamp doesn't cover both applications is beyond me. They were designed to prevent rear-endings in fog conditions and therefore would work in heavy dust.

For the no-nerfing light, this might do: (https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/material-handling-safety-light-model-770-blu/)

The 3" model 217 turn signal may make a good rear-facing amber light (https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-signal-lights-model-217/#product_parts)

But if they're going to require lights they need to give actual specifications for them instead of letting people guess at the requirements. Reread that SCORE book carefully and if the requirements aren't in there, contact them for clarification.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
Why a red rear fog lamp doesn't cover both applications is beyond me. They were designed to prevent rear-endings in fog conditions and therefore would work in heavy dust.

For the no-nerfing light, this might do: (https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/material-handling-safety-light-model-770-blu/)

The 3" model 217 turn signal may make a good rear-facing amber light (https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-signal-lights-model-217/#product_parts)

But if they're going to require lights they need to give actual specifications for them instead of letting people guess at the requirements. Reread that SCORE book carefully and if the requirements aren't in there, contact them for clarification.
As far as the color goes, it's not my call- the rules specify amber rear dust lights and blue "no nerfing" lights, we want to make a reasonable effort to mirror the race rules, since we're going to be on the course at the same time as the race vehicles.

We're not looking to stick all sorts of stuff to the outside of our vehicle. We've gone to substantial lengths to subdue the appearance of our vehicle- our BF Goodrich All Terrain tires are mounted with the raised white letters facing inwards. Our Method Racing wheels are powder-coated in an OEM-looking grey color. I had the aluminum front skid plate of our SVC frame-cut Baja bumpers powder coated black. We are looking into a Baja Designs OnX6+ light bar to be recessed into the front bumper and covered with black covers during daylight hours. No racing stickers, no extra antennas, no fuel jug spouts sticking up, and our two full-sized spare tire/wheels will be strapped down as flat as possible in the bed, with a tarp over them.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the color goes, it's not my call- the rules specify amber rear dust lights and blue "no nerfing" lights, we want to make a reasonable effort to mirror the race rules, since we're going to be on the course at the same time as the race vehicles.
If it's the race rules, a "reasonable effort" will not be good enough. If it's their rules you need to comply with them-- they set the rules, they can define for you how to comply with them.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
If it's the race rules, a "reasonable effort" will not be good enough. If it's their rules you need to comply with them-- they set the rules, they can define for you how to comply with them.
We're not a race vehicle- we are not bound by the rules. We are simply making a reasonable effort to mirror them, for consistency. Everybody on the course knows what amber and blue lights on the back of a vehicle means.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
Rigid makes chase lights specific for this use.

Yes, there are many lights like that on the market, but as I said before, we're not trying to stick a bunch of stuff to the outside of our vehicle.

And the fact that those lights have the ability to flash, would be a legal problem here in the U.S.- having flashing blue lights on a vehicle is a crime in some states, even if you're not using that particular function.

But nobody's going to have a problem with (or even notice) one non-flashing blue-colored bulb in our stock clear cargo lamp housing, especially if we're not using it on public roads.

Again, what we're looking for is brighter alternatives to the stock 921 bulbs, in blue and amber.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
But nobody's going to have a problem with (or even notice) one non-flashing blue-colored bulb in our stock clear cargo lamp housing, especially if we're not using it on public roads.
Gee, shouldn't they notice it? Isn't it supposed to be visible to others?

You're better off asking the organizers for their recommendations-- and *following them*.

If you're going to be near the other vehicles, even if not racing, you really need to have the right kind of lighting to prevent accidents.

By permitting you to be out there with the race vehicles they have established a basis of liability in the case you are hurt or your vehicle is damaged. They're not going to want to be liable for something that could have been prevented by establishing a specification and ensuring your vehicle meets it.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are no reputable brand/legitimate products of the type you describe; you're pretty much going to have to splash around through the muck in the sewer and try your luck with the toy "LED bulbs" until you (hopefully) find ones that work the way you think you want them to. I don't think your odds are very good in that venture. I think you would be far better off (better/safer result, much less time hunting for a product that doesn't exist, etc) just going ahead and attaching a couple of new lights to the back of your truck and moving along to the next project after that.

So like this blue light and this amber light.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
Gee, shouldn't they notice it? Isn't it supposed to be visible to others?

You're better off asking the organizers for their recommendations-- and *following them*.

If you're going to be near the other vehicles, even if not racing, you really need to have the right kind of lighting to prevent accidents.

By permitting you to be out there with the race vehicles they have established a basis of liability in the case you are hurt or your vehicle is damaged. They're not going to want to be liable for something that could have been prevented by establishing a specification and ensuring your vehicle meets it.
There is no "permitting" or liability on their part- it's Mexico, and the course is open.

I have an extensive and successful background in several different motorsports disciplines, as an expert-licensed racer, racing in a Pro class, as a crew chief, as a race official, as a racing instructor, as a builder, and so on. I don't need any "help" with that stuff- I'm only here for input on this particular bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no "permitting" or liability on their part- it's Mexico, and the course is open.
Mexico is a signatory of the Hague Service Convention, so you could potentially sue the organizers and you can potentially be sued by other participants, even across national borders.

I have an extensive and successful background in several different motorsports disciplines, as an expert-licensed racer, racing in a Pro class, as a crew chief, as a race official, as a racing instructor, as a builder, and so on. I don't need any "help" with that stuff- I'm only here for input on this particular bulb.
But you're not an SME on vehicle lighting and you're not treating the subject seriously enough, going about this by guess and golly.

If the organizers are serious about safety they'll have product recommendations for real, functional lighting that you should heed, rather than just pretending to "mirror the rules" with bulb-shaped toys in lamp assemblies not designed to serve warning, signaling, or identification functions.

B1K

Newly Enlightened
There are no reputable brand/legitimate products of the type you describe; you're pretty much going to have to splash around through the muck in the sewer and try your luck with the toy "LED bulbs" until you (hopefully) find ones that work the way you think you want them to. I don't think your odds are very good in that venture.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks.