Need help finding this burnt out 20w driverless SMD LED.

LEDphile

Enlightened
That's a light engine, not an LED, and was likely designed by a manufacturer for use in a specific product or family of products. With no company identifier or part number, it is highly unlikely that it was intended for separate sale.

Also, looking at the drive circuit, I'll bet that unit has a wicked 120hz flicker.

DarkPrognosis

Newly Enlightened
That's a light engine, not an LED, and was likely designed by a manufacturer for use in a specific product or family of products. With no company identifier or part number, it is highly unlikely that it was intended for separate sale.

Also, looking at the drive circuit, I'll bet that unit has a wicked 120hz flicker.
All 20w led flood lights are using this style of "light engine", and as to flicker if it has any there is absolutely none to the naked eye (I am pretty sensitive to flicker even on LCD monitors).

All 20w led flood lights are using this style of "light engine", and as to flicker if it has any there is absolutely none to the naked eye (I am pretty sensitive to flicker even on LCD monitors).

Whether you think you are sensitive or not, this has a ton of flicker. That is a custom light engine as noted above. The MFR will not sell you the part to fix it yourself, too big of liability. It is not meant to be serviced. Flicker is not an issue too much with these things because you are not usually using them for very long, so headaches, etc. not as much of an issue.

DarkPrognosis

Newly Enlightened
Seems all sub 50w outdoor lights use this. So stupid not to have replacements, but I ordered a different COB and will make it work.

Seems all sub 50w outdoor lights use this. So stupid not to have replacements, but I ordered a different COB and will make it work.

No it is not stupid, it is a safety issue. It makes no sense for them to take on the liability of someone hurting themselves or someone else from an improper repair. To make it a replaceable part would significantly increase the cost and then people would not buy them. Have to have regulatory approval or no major retailer will sell them.

DarkPrognosis

Newly Enlightened
#1 Who said this was from a major retailer?
#2 Go to AliExpress, or eBay. 50w,100w are serviceable.
#3 I didn't come to this forum to have an argument.
#4 You make no sense whatsoever when I can purchase 1w, 3w, 5w, 10w, 20w, 30w, 50w, 100w cob lights (or as you people would put it "light engines") just not in those SMD style. I purchased a COB "light engine" that is not exactly the size but will solder in and work which makes your reply incorrect about regulatory approval etc...

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find anything like the one in the picture. Dimensions are top to bottom 50mm, side to side 70mm, and the smd is 30mm sq. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for some reason I can't see your original image. Don't want to make any meaningless comments. But, if you're going to do the replacement, hopefully the new COB voltage/current as well as power ratings are matched by the replacement. Not sure how you do that with a burnt device, unless you knew prior to its failure.

Dave

Last edited: