need help understanding lumen brightness in an LED projector

fruithead

Newly Enlightened
Hi! im new here and joined specifically to ask this question actually :)

basically, i am a teacher in a small private school. classrooms are average sized, and i frequently use a projector in my class. the school had 3 projectors, and the teachers are always squabbling over who gets them. sadly, one broke, and one started overheating occasionally making it frustrating to use (it stinks when you have to wait five min right in the middle of a powerpoint slide while the fan tries to valiantly cool down the bulb lol). the situation is so unbearable that i have decided to buy my own projector. i dont mind owning one anyway. the problem is i know NOTHING about how to estimate lumen brightness in the real world, aka my classroom

so i was considering one of these two:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824138085 (viewera v100p)
OR
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HD6OVOO/?tag=cpf0b6-20 (erisan er70up)

the erisan claims to be 1200 lumens. 1200 seems like a lot! but oddly the reviews for many of these led small projectors tell a different story: people say the sellers of these products are wildly exaggerating their claims to almost the point of outright dishonesty. most say they only really work well up to about 60" in a dark room. i dont know much but that does not sound right?

meanwhile the viewera ha virtually no reviews ANYWHERE on the web. on newegg one of the only pieces of info i found was a user reporting that the projector was "shockingly bright" for its size. anywhere on the internet you find it it sells at $500, which is comparable to the price of the high end brands like lg or nec or such. its on a black friday weekend sale at the link i posted on newegg for $145, very tempting! but will i be able to use it at 100 lumens?

for reference, what i need is something that can project to about 40-60" in a room with the lights off but there is daylight coming in. the blinds are not very effective at keeping light out.

can anyone give some advice?

ty all!

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
The odds of it being 1200 lumens are virtually nil, and since they are lying, you really can't trust anything about it.

60", semi-dark room, possibly easy to read text, I would want 500 lumens minimum. In a fully dark room with movies, 500 lumens can do a 90" screen (way more area). Not very effective blinds will let in a ton of light that you need to overcome.