Need info about this Russian pocket light

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed about moving it.

Funny things is, current LED tech makes the entire incan section 'the vintage' section.

Awesome info desert snake.

About Daylo: Eveready had a contest in the late 1910's to rename the flashlight. Since the tungsten filament had been invented it no longer poofed quickly so an electric light could run steady instead having to flash on and off before the lousy batteries failed or the carbon filament popped. Runtimes were now in the minutes instead of seconds. Later Charles Burgess created batteries that could last hours with a shelf life beyond a few weeks. He was the PK of that era. The casings were perfected by shoving zinc tubes over tool handles. C size was a rake handle and D was a shovel handle. The chemistry was perfected using funds paid by a local phone company during his spare time.

What a marvelous thing that must've been. Electric fire on a stick that burned longer than a match stick. Woohoo.

Anyway, owner of Eveready Conrad Hubert did a promo to come up with a name and the winner was the term Daylo that indicated "daylight" from a flashlight. He spent millions on the promo that did not catch on.

He wanted folks to call his battery powered lights Daylo's instead of flashlights. Eveready Daylo lights were issued to America troops during the first world war. That was part of the Daylo promotion.

So that Ruskie light could have been used while fighting the Nazis during the second big one.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a facinating thread. I do remember the type of battery that fitted that light, but for the life of me couldn't name it.
We have an amazing collective knowledge on CPF, long may it last.
P

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These types of lights were popular during the WW1 era, particularly with the Germans, but other countries used them including the US (the "Beacon Army Light"). Usually they were intended to attach to the buttons of a military tunic or overcoat for hands free use. These were again widely used during WW2, although the US mostly used angle head flashlights by then. The Swiss were still making a more elaborate version of these lights with built in colored filters well into the 1990's. Not sure about the Soviet/Warsaw pact nations, but I think they were still using them at the end of the cold war, some of these had the colored filters as well.

n3mo

Newly Enlightened
My dad had such light from the East German army (NVA). Was funny for us to change the color. Today I miss those easy pragmatic ways to e.gm use an modern LED as night lamp.

Those batterie were also very common in East Germany. It was the essential part of every boy*s electric toolbox. Some reasons
-Huge connector, so one could easily attach a cable.
-Long bendable connectors could be used as switches
-A lot of power in it
-And the best, it was easy to test is there was "juice" left. One could simply lick on the contacts, as there are s close to each other  if you felt something then there was juice left :p remember that feeling like it was yesterday.'
Here in Europe (specially in Germany) you can still buy those batteries. 3L12 yes, but just google for "4,5V Flachbatterie".

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
wosser,
Here is another 3xAA adapter that Petzl made. It is different than the picture of the other one above in post #4, so I don't know which one would work better for you. I got one of these for a surplus Swiss military headlamp that I have, and have not yet gotten around to either filing or moto-dremeling it to get it to fit in the case. To find this at Amazon, put in the search phrase, "Petzl - AA Battery Adapter for Zoom Headlamp".

broadgage

Enlightened
Regarding the similar lights but with colour filters as shown in post #15, these are still fairly readily available from fleabay. I have several, both two color and three colour.
AFAIK they are no longer manufactured but large inventories still exist.

The 4.5 volt batteries are available worldwide but are less common in the USA than in Europe.

Latest posts