Need something bright and tougher than a D40A

ShayAllen

Newly Enlightened
Killed my D40A on the second outing. Very disappointed. I fell into deep water. I got out quickly. My Zebralight survived. My Fitbit One (not even submersion resistant) survived. My iPhone (in a wet bag) survived. My D40A did not.

I need a replacement that's bright enough to light pictures and tough enough to survive some real life.

Would be nice if it were AA powered, but that's a secondary consideration at this point. Long battery life is not a concern. Is there a way to mod a divelight for greater output? The divelights I've found are either massive or relatively dim.

Requirements:
Actually tough
Min 400 lumens
Relatively compact

Preferences:
AA powered
<$200
Accomodates slip-on reflector

A brighter Pelican Nemo would be perfect. Not used for continuous light.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
What is your budget ?

The McGizmo AquaRam is a diving light which is both relatively compact (1x 18650) and bright (450 lm stock for the XML, but can be increased with programming).

ShayAllen

Newly Enlightened
There are some things I very much want to do that I CANNOT do without this light. So, high-end isn't completely out of the question, but I'm not exploring any ship wrecks, just swampy places.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 is not AA powered (obviously) , but might otherwise be worth checking out.

Under budget, ~ 800 lumens, super tough, great warranty ... [emoji106]

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to Arch's good recommendation, consider a Malkoff MDC for pocketablilty... and they're on sale now.

An MDC XPL 16650/2CR123 (500lms, but no AAs). You should be able to Lego this on 1AA or 1CR123 tubes with IMR 14500 or 16340 cells too.

Or maybe an MDC 2AA which get you the AA format, but it maxes at 250 lms (500 lumens appears only ~40% brighter...if you believe in the inverse square laws of light perception ;)).

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
How about a Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED (L1) 400 lumen 4xC-cell light? dive rated from a diving light company or take a look at their other lights maybe one will work for you better. I have a SL4 and it is a tough light. I keep it for storm duty/hunting cabin/storm road work/recovery. used it during Sandy and the 2012 storms in NJ for hours in the rain never had a problem

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix SD10 is a dive light that is more than bright enough. Does not run on AAs though.

Eagle

ShayAllen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, all.

Looks like I'll have to give up AS to get everything else I want.

Narrowed down to Fenix SD10 (actual dive light), Nitecore SRT7 (anecdotal toughness), Malkoff Hound Dog (can't find water resistance information), or Armytek Viking (advertised toughness).

Going to send back the Sunwayman D40A for repairs and maybe keep it as a disaster light.