Neutral-white Quark 123² Tactical or Quark "X" 123² Tactical

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on which is the better light for general use.

Thanks Bruce

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Quark X. The throw is nearly the same but you have so much more light and more flood from the Quark X. The beam is really nice on the Quark X. I liked it so much I purchased three neutral quark X.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks tre

I forgot to include the R5 model.

Thanks Bruce

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 10 quarks, and I definitely like my two neutral X versions the best. When comparing the new X version to my older R5 versions, the X version really does throw just as well. Even though the hotspot is larger, the fact that it's brighter makes up the difference.

vegasmarine

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering myself on this issue.

I just started a thread in general discussion on the whole cool / neutral / warm led issue.

LGT

Enlightened
Any opinions on which is the better light for general use.

Thanks Bruce
You won't really know which is best for you unless you had them both side by side, for whatever you intend to use them for. The opinions of others, while valuable, might be different then yours. I guess one option would be to buy one or the other and see if it fits your needs. Reviews, beamshots and info from members goes a long way when trying to decide on what light will fit your needs. But it really comes down to actually owning the light and seeing firsthand what it actually does.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been disappointed with the tints of the latest Quark neutrals. The high CRI models that are out now are another matter entirely; I'm very pleased with the tints they have.

I bought a high CRI Preon 1 first, for my keychain, and liked the tint so much I bought two more of the 1x123 high CRI models, and additional 1xAA and 2xAA bodies for those heads. The one on the 1xAA body is now my main light in my EDC bag, and the one I put together with the 2xAA body is strapped onto the waistbelt of my hiking pack as my dedicated hiking/camping/backpacking light.

They won't be as bright as one of the X models, but tint is much more important to me than overall brightness.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
RBH are you asking between the XPG neutral and XML cool model because I definitely would choose the XM-L Quark X, now if your talking the neutral XM-L or the cool XM-L then that is just a personal preference.

If you don't own a Quark yet then I would probably suggest starting with the cool white just so you can see what the brightest version is capable of.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Hi jhc37013

I have a G5 Maelstrom that I like a lot. The Neutral-white Quark 123²Tactical can be bought for around $55, but if the Quark "X" 123² Tactical is superior, I wouldn't worry about the extra money.

Bruce

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a doubt, X marks the spot! The more floody beam makes the X much more useful for general use and EDC. I bought the neutral X 2AA tactical and just love it.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Is the Neutral-white Quark "X" 123² Tactical harder on batteries than the other versions ?

Bruce

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Neutral-white Quark "X" 123² Tactical harder on batteries than the other versions ?

Bruce

No all the Quark 123x2 X require the same amount of energy 990ma on max output, the only difference is the phosphor color of the LED (emitter). The power to the emitter is regulated by a driver rather than battery straight to the emitter direct drive, so the driver dictates how much battery energy is used and the manufacturer sets the driver details and on the Quark 123x2 it's ~990ma on max. I'm not sure what the low's and mediums are driven at, seems like I use to know but I can't remember maybe someone does?

If you look at 4sevens website you can see what they drive each output mode at, of course the harder driven the brighter but shorter runtimes and I have not looked at the specs in awhile so it might not tell you what every mode is driven to.

Last edited:

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for all of the great answers.

Bruce

kreisler

Banned
Thanks to everyone for all of the great answers.

Bruce
Thanks. here is another great answer.
Quark X 123² Tactical vs.
Quark X 123² Tactical NeutralWhite?

If money doesnt matter, than the NeutralWhite is the better choice because NeutralWhite is neutral white and not greenish (e.g. in the low modes of the XML-head).

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone say whether the Turbo X throws as far as the regular Turbo?

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does the JetBeam BC20 compare to the quark 123 series lights ?

Thanks Bruce

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If both Turbo heads use the same reflector, I'd wager that the X would throw the same distance and have a much brighter/larger hotspot.

The Turbo X has a much larger reflector than the XP-G version so it can keep up with the older models throw, I think the throw is close but the X kills it in the overall output especially in the spill area.

If the size of the head is not a issue for the owner than I would definitely go with the X but if size is a concern go with the smaller head on the XP-G R5 model. It's not a issue for me and the 123x2 Turbo X is one of my favorite light's.