New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanefred

Enlightened
what didnt you like about it?

Overall, it just didn't impress me. It's bright, but not really as much as I wanted, it throws, but not nearly as much as I thought.
I also don't like the tint at all, at least not what I'd use it for.

As for it being just $25 I'd would recommend it to SOME people. I mean, you never know when you find a gem from time to time.
The end result, , it's just not for me.

Things I liked:
overall build
tailstands

Things I didn't like
emitter color temp.
plastic lens
Trendy "tactical" style light

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
Overall, it just didn't impress me. It's bright, but not really as much as I wanted, it throws, but not nearly as much as I thought.

As for it being just $25 I'd would recommend it to SOME people. I mean, you never know when you find a gem from time to time.

Things I liked:
overall build
tailstands

Things I didn't like
emitter color temp.
plastic lens

Thanks for your imput!

Skyeye

Enlightened
Well, off I went to HD this morning. :crazy:

They had 2 of them on the hook so I thought there wouldn't be much chance of getting a perfectly centered chip. I was pleasantly wrong as both of them had a centered chip. However one, although centered, was canted off square so I took the one where the die was squared with the axis of the switch. The die does appear to have 4 legs.

A quick inspection: O rings are well lubricated and the threads are decent though not of MagLite quality. The reflector seems free from dirt and the lens is lexan or a like plastic. I wish it were glass. The beam has a tight round center spot with a moderate spill. The overall construction is really not that bad considering the cost. I can tell you this, it is brighter and probably has a longer throw than my 6 cell Krypton MagLite! I will see tonight. :D On a quick garage door test I don't notice any green tint but it does exhibit some blueing. The exterior is certainly Russian looking but I kind of like that Soyuz look! We will have to see if it is indeed as rugged and dependable as the Soyuz spacecraft. ;)

Overall, I think it's one of the best throwing lights that I have. It will become a primary carry for my nightly walks. I'll keep the S&W (flashlight that is) in my pocket for back-up.

Can you go wrong for the price vs performance? NO. Just make sure the chip is centered.
sized_P1010002-2.jpg

Last edited:

Skyeye

Enlightened
I tested mine tonight on my dog walk and I can clearly state that it's much brighter and has a longer more concise throw than my 6 D krypton maglite. The beam will easily illuminate things a block away and within 100ft. the brilliance on the target it startling. It feels good in the hand when walking and is not too heavy in my coat pocket. IMHO, it's the best 2D light I have come across to date!:thumbsup:

Note: after about 15 minutes of on and off use, I smelled no odors of any kind other than the newness of the product.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Things I liked:
overall build
tailstands

Things I didn't like
emitter color temp.
plastic lens

i would say that's a fair review. the fins does give it the goofy look but does make it tailstand with confidence which is very very useful. a mag can barely tailstand.

i think the plastic lens is good because of the cost cutting and durability. i have cracked an ucl lens in a mag when dropped at waist height. it adds to it's bargain beater personality. eventually it will get all scratched up though.

which brings up the point that i think the light is near perfect for it's design. all it needed was to be able to easily open. that would make alignment a possibility plus able to upgrade some parts like the lens or sputtering the reflector.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say that's a fair review. the fins does give it the goofy look but does make it tailstand with confidence which is very very useful. a mag can barely tailstand.

i think the plastic lens is good because of the cost cutting and durability. i have cracked an ucl lens in a mag when dropped at waist height. it adds to it's bargain beater personality. eventually it will get all scratched up though.

which brings up the point that i think the light is near perfect for it's design. all it needed was to be able to easily open. that would make alignment a possibility plus able to upgrade some parts like the lens or sputtering the reflector.

The plastic lens can be easily polished using plastic polish available at any auto parts store.

I just got another HUFFY 2D, with almost too perfect alignment of the LED. In fact it is so good, there are hardly any artificact rings. There is no black donut in the center either, whether the light is 6 inches from the wall or 20 feet from the wall. What I do see, however, is a perfect image of the LED on the wall, with a hot spot in the center and the small gold ring around it. In between there is fall off in brightness but no black ring. In other words, instead of a uniform hot spot, I see a hotspot with a hotter center and hotter outer border but no black in between. Whether this is desirable or not, I don't know.

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
p.s. my local HD has 7 of these in-stock, 2 had centered chips. This was obviously one of them

AA6TZ

Enlightened
p.s. my local HD has 7 of these in-stock, 2 had centered chips. This was obviously one of them

Congratulations -- BOTH are great-looking torches. The Husky is arguably one of the "neatest" (looks and function) lights to have ever graced HD's shelves, IMHO.

-Clive

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations -- BOTH are great-looking torches. The Husky is arguably one of the "neatest" (looks and function) lights to have ever graced HD's shelves, IMHO.

-Clive

Opinions are certainly divided on the looks. Most people here either love or hate the appearance of this light. I am glad you think this is a neat looking light.
In my case, the looks sort of grew on me.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
I would like it better if it was solid black but I like the looks and feel of this light.

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
the only thing i dont like are the halos.. they are quite annoying IMHO, then again, i dont like the bluish tint on the terralux either

retrodog

Newly Enlightened
I picked up two of these at the local HD after work today. I tested one and found it to be a very focused beam. I could easily see things in trees out to over 100 yrds. Very impressive. No real flood capability but it does send out enough laterally to really light up a room or large inside area.

What a great find for an excellent price. Thanks to the OP for posting this.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Opinions are certainly divided on the looks. Most people here either love or hate the appearance of this light. I am glad you think this is a neat looking light. In my case, the looks sort of grew on me.

It's looks are, well, striking (pardon the pun) IMHO. It's so unusual looking that it begs for a second (third, and so forth) glance. To hear that it operates so effectively makes it look even BETTER to me now!!! :twothumbs

-Clive

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
My HD also had the solid black 3 Watt version. That model appeared to have three power sittings. That would be a nice feature to have on the 4 watt model.
I said the exact same thing when i saw 'em.

RYANRPM: will do!

Skyeye

Enlightened
Funny, I was out in the New Orleans snow last night using my new Husky 2D and for the life of me I couldn't tell what color the barrel was due to the darkness. I usually use my flashlights when it's dark.:poke:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HD also had the solid black 3 Watt version. That model appeared to have three power sittings. That would be a nice feature to have on the 4 watt model.

In principle, yes it would. Unfortunately, the three levels on the 3 watt version are so close together in brightness as to be virtually identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.