new $250 HID spotlight (*BRIGHT*)

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I just bought on ebay a while back a spotlight (it was miscategorized i think in the vehicle safety lights section) - it's actualy made by a vehicle safety light company (HD or something like that) - not much to it - cigarette lighter plug and a push on/off switch) - bulb life 2500 hours, power 35 watts (3A at 12-13 v vehicle voltage) - NO internal battery (but small external 12V batts with cig lighter female jacks are all over the place for running video gear, etc).

The light really rocks - focus is *awesome* at long distances - I can hit the house at the end of my block with it - closer houses I can light up like day light to the point people come to the windows 6 houses down. Aimed up in the sky it's like a searchlight. All with just 35 watts.

Disadvantages:

Slightly varrying color of the light during operation - I found it helps to even out the color to point it to the ground before turning it off - the HID bulb has alot of salts inside of it and they like to attach to one electrode if gravity helps them. Long distance you can't tell the color shift - but at 10' it's noticable in the spot.

Balast runs probably at about 8000 hz (I haven't measured it yet) - it's definitely in the audible range! you can hear the ballast running but it's not objectionable.

Advantages:

3A draw is so small it can be run off almost anything - can be made portable and for $250 it's nice not to have a built in battery that will die soon anyways.

The construction is top notch - rubber molded waterproof grip and head are very nice and lightweight. Easy to hold over your head to get extra distance when you need it.

$250 is a realistic price for a HID spotlight - all the advantages of HID - all the light you could ever want! - and at a price you can afford - like a poor mans maxabeam without the rings in the light (very even light pattern)

FAST startup - full brightness is up in 5-10 seconds or so and there's LOTS of light as soon as you hit the switch.

Waay cool blue color - makes the light much more versitile because the high kelvin temperature light is more useful than halogen - and its a constant color over all voltage inputs (I did try that with a bench supply and a rat shack cigarett lighter adapter).

Very nice cordset - quality rubber coil cord extends nicely and comes back to shape well too - very well built cord & plug won't pull out of lighter sockets (at lest all the ones i've tried it on)

I'll post some pics when I get a chance - not sure what to compare it against - my surefire M6 can't hack the distance and my SL-35 can't either. I may have to do some
exposure tricks with the camera to show the difference.

For $250 and 35 W (only 3A off the car battery!) you really can't go wrong) - if there's more interes let me know and I'll photograph it - found it on ebay from a guy who sells the cop car lights that mount on the top of the vehicle. I have not seen it for sale at any stores (maybe someone else has). The company also makes a 100W halogen version that is like 1/10 the light output - I guess if you want it lit up real fast you'd buy the halogen version.

Raybo

Enlightened
Before I looked at any replys I told myself.................... " That has to be a HS" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raybo

Enlightened
We paid $179 for the same light hmmwv. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(Thanks Mr.Ted Bear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Raybo

Enlightened
Right you are Baker, I forgot to thank Mr. Tbear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Yes - havis shields - that's it (for some dumb reason I wanted to say hunter douglass) - who's selling them for 179 (PM me please) - I have a friend who wants one. I can't believe they can make something this well built for such a low price - i seriously would have expected much more - it seemed like a deal at $250 to get HID in a handheld well built unit that's weathertight and carries a quality cord.

Attach a strapon battery pack and you've got your poor mans maxabeam without the rings for alot less $ (about 1/10!) and a seriously white beam.

BTW - I did do some further spectral testing on it to see what lines appear - it goes WAAY into the UV range - I have a 150 watt reflector mercury UV light and this puts out more UV than the mercury lamp does with 1/5 the power - surprised me that there was so much UV escaping the glass lens as I know a special glass is used in the UV mercury light to let out more UV (It's a UV passive glass because the lamp is intended to be a UV spotlight). I have a woods glass filter and my next project is to put that in front of the HID lamp to further refine which wavelenghths are stronger. It would appear from my early tests that UV-A was stronger out of this but I need the woods glass to separate A and B.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my hid vector mod cost me 168.00

58 bucks shipped for 12 4.5 ah nimh c cells
battery pack is permenantly mounted inside vector spotlight.

110.00 shipped for the ballast and bulb.

I bought the vector vec 126 spotlight over 10 years ago so it is a freebie.

works good has nice balance and not too heavy at under 4 pounds complete.

soon to have glass lens so weight will go up a little.

if I had a havis I would make myself a battery belt
or a fanny pack battery ha ha.
using nimh c or d cells or possibly l-ion cells.

a 35 watt hid spot is not 10 times brighter than a 100 watt halogen spot.-I wish

theepdinker

Enlightened
At the bay area meet last month we had 2 Thors.
One freshly charged stock & my 35 watt HID.

On the calibrated kitty litter bucket the scores were,
stock 850 vs. HID 1200.
If we could have captured more than most of the spot & none of the spill, both would have scored much higher.
It does give a decent idea of relative performance.

The H-S should be close to the HID Thor.

Theepdinker

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno. My HS only has a slightly brighter beam than a 100w Husky light. But, the HS has A LOT of side-spill compared to the Husky. The side-spill can light up almost everything in front of you.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
The observed 41% improvement compares well with the rated lumens rating given the measurement system. Stock Thor bulb @ 12v is 2400L, 25 HID is 3200L (33% more)

I'ved removed most of the return wire insulation so mine puts out another 2-3% more light. Note that you should have your return wire side down on your HID bulb to minimize artifacts, etc.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a hid thor is a lot brighter than a stock one

the havis shield has a lot smaller reflector.

my hid vector mod has a 5.25 inch reflector - bigger
reflector than the havis shield - I think.

my hid vector has a bit of side spill- more than my(mom's) hid thor.

I think the side spill makes the vector more usefull.

hid run time is what sold me

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the HS only has a 4-5" reflector (maybe bigger?) so a lot of the light doesn't get focused, but it still throws like mad.