*new* Acebeam K70: max. 2600 lumens, 1300 meters throw

ven

Flashaholic
I think overclocker made a video for us also..

Watch "Heavyweights, Acebeam K60 vs K70" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Fgl-kHuhDa0

cool vid, it's obvious the k70 has the more concentrated hot spot , for me the k60 is still the champ, just lots more all round brightness and I do like a big hot spot:naughty:

To say a bit gutted would be too strong as I really wanted the k70 to be more (I know it's just a video all be it an excellent one). Just the k60 is more suited for me so will be on the back burner for now as satisfied with the de-domed xhp70 for as near perfect beam pattern for all my needs. If I had neither I would pick the k60 for that bright spill and huge hotspot .

Still a wanted light , just not a must buy right now.......well it's saved me a few quid down the line I guess :( I have the thrower side covered with the tn32UTvn with over 400kcd and it's a very nice beam pattern too.

Mmmmmmmm to be continued :laughing:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beam shots and video Overclocker. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Based strictly on the video, the K70 beam left me a little unimpressed.

But holy @#$&%! does the K60 have a nice beam. :wow:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the pics appear noticeably over exposed compared to the video. More "gamma," making the the spot of the more throwy lights and spill of the more floody lights appear brighter. That would explain why the P36 appears to throw so well. By the looks of the pic, there appears to me to be at least 2 lux on target @ over 200m. That would correspond to 80k CD, which the P36 most certainly is not.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beam shots and video Overclocker. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Based strictly on the video, the K70 beam left me a little unimpressed.

But holy @#$&%! does the K60 have a nice beam. :wow:

Probably somewhere in between the pics and video is the actual appearance in person. I would be disappointed if I got the K70 thinking it would be as bright as in the pic.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the video Overclocker. [emoji106]The glare from off the trees is telling, with the floody K60 disappearing after about 3 trees. The K70 glares all the way to the lamp post on the right, which is around 10 trees away. Both very impressive in their own right.

The K70 is likely to better for battery life and heat, but flood junkies will lean to the K60.

What is certain is that Acebeam are making some really great lights at the moment.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always stop down the lens or increase the shutter speed or lower ISO to reduce the clipping.

well i want to able to directly compare the brightness and beam patterns of different flashlights, including tint! so exposure has to be consistent between shots

the problem is the human eye/brain can't be put in manual mode, so when it sees these bright lights it stops down automatically

to help put things in perspective here's a shot of the Jet 3M XML using the exact same exposure settings:

WmNU94N.jpg

as for this video, yes it does appear DIMMER than IRL because this is an f/1.8 lens, not a leica noctilux :)

ven

Flashaholic
I dont know, the k60vn throws enough for my needs anyway, but yep, lots of generous spill..............it is the HUGE bright hot spot thats so impressive .

Acebeam are on fire!

Both the k60 and k70 would make more than adequate S&R lights imho..............want more all round brightness pic the k60, want more throw pick the k70..........simples:)

=the=

Newly Enlightened
Got my samples today. Looks good, throw figure seems legit. :) Lumens maybe 10% less than promised.

=the=

Newly Enlightened
Comparison to some of my other throwers. 100m, f/5, 2s, ISO200, 5000K

K70:
_full.jpg

K60:
_full.jpg

X60M:
_full.jpg

K40t (modded 1250m thrower):
_full.jpg

HC-1508 (modded 1450m aspheric):
_full.jpg

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a resistor modded TN31 XM-L2 U4 and am trying to determine how much better is this K70 light that might replace it,

K40 and K70 hotspots look close in size and brightness to my eyes, is that correct? How is that K40 modded? Resistor mod and dedome? I see more spill with the K70, is that correct?

Thanks

Last edited:

=the=

Newly Enlightened
K40 and K70 hotspots look close in size and brightness to my eyes, is that correct? How is that K40 modded? Resistor mod and dedome? I see more spill with the K70, is that correct?
K70 hotspot is a bit brighter and wider - and it provides more spill. K40t is more or less fully modded: resistor mod, dedome, better thermal transfer, low resistance mods here and there etc.

Here's a stock K40 beamshot for reference:
_full.jpg

..and a comparison gif (K40->K40t->K70->K60->X60M):
_full.jpg

Last edited:

Chaitanya

Banned
well i want to able to directly compare the brightness and beam patterns of different flashlights, including tint! so exposure has to be consistent between shots

the problem is the human eye/brain can't be put in manual mode, so when it sees these bright lights it stops down automatically

to help put things in perspective here's a shot of the Jet 3M XML using the exact same exposure settings:

WmNU94N.jpg

as for this video, yes it does appear DIMMER than IRL because this is an f/1.8 lens, not a leica noctilux :)

Leica products in general are droolworthy but that Noctilux is something else. Fair enough to keep the exposure same between different flashlights being used. I am generally interested in throwers is for keeping an eye out for wolves, hyenas, leopards, bears and other carnivores while I am out herping. Also they are quite useful for taking photos of these animals at dusk/dawn. Also these lights are useful for searching tiny frogs who are calling for females. I was planning to pull trigger on Thrunite Tn32UT when I saw this post, and now I think even if the distance is a little lower on this light, the outputs and runtimes are what I really like.