New chainsaw...I had to share

Athecal

Newly Enlightened
bite the bullet and purchase the quart cans of premix from Stihl, Briggs, Tru-fuel, etc. It's expensive, but we averaged 40-60 dollars to remove and properly ultrasound clean a carb to get things working again. Sta-bil or any of the many other additives don't solve the problem. The tiny carbs have such small passages in them and they corrode when they have water in the fuel.

This, all day. I have a Stihl leaf blower and chainsaw, my dad and uncle both have their chainsaws and weedeaters with leaf blower and pole saw attachments, and my little brother has the 170, which is an awesome saw we've been throwing in the back of trucks anytime we go to the river or camping for what seems like forever, unfortunately we didn't have cell phones with great cameras back then so we didn't take pictures of new toys(we do now). While they are IMO the most reliable out there this junk gasoline we have now wreaks havoc on all small engines, including boat motors.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Holy thread revival time:)

Cool read, i was tempted by a stihl but over kill for what i needed(just general garden use and stuff). Pondered over petrol but decided on electric. Just easier for me , lighter weight and less mess. I dont depend on it and i already have batteries and charger with my at home dewalt stuff
89ohW4Ul.jpg

But i am tempted for a flexvolt battery, 6ah and 9ah when used as 18v(20v your side) or in the 9ah case, 54v and 3ah. Of course there are 54v chain saw options for bigger work and 16" oregon chain/bar.
So i decided on a dewalt baby saw(i call it that as it is a baby).Just a 12" oregon chain bar, bought the oil(had to do some quick research and reading up ). Even bought a spare dewalt bar and chain, for a just in case moment. Got the helmet and face guard coming today.
IOSJnZKl.jpg

9DHIYNfl.jpg

Oil fill up this side with visible tank. From reading up, usually fill with battery swap or top up. Along with checking chain tension(around 3mm of snap back tension)
jnm4IYbl.jpg

I like the no tools required for ease and simple adjusting. Larger to remove side for access, smaller to adjust chain

8UFmygc.jpg

aRvPXtm.jpg

ew0yvsil.jpg

GmJHPY8l.jpg

PPE wise so far
844NNTK.jpg

Safety goggles, but waiting for full face guard today.
tsyQfRy.jpg

Fits perfect in large tool bag, easier storage and as they are know to leak(ideally drain oil after use or it will leak)
HoZ8Nee.jpg

kaArQdB.jpg

Spare bar is in the tool bag, chain is tiny and in a separate bag(stored in tool bag).
As at the time i had no oil, i just gave it a lick of wd40 , store in bag for when ever i may need it.
u7tVKzc.jpg

Its not going to be heavy use, hence electric. But i have always wanted a chain saw and so many times in the past it would have been useful.

I am no tree guy / pro! in anyway at all. So just for general uses:)

I have read up, researched a good bit regarding use, safety etc etc. I wont be felling trees, but will be used up to around 8" diameter conifers etc(come the right time to do so)

Cheers all

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
That's awesome, Ven. Electric has come a long way. Keep it sharp, oiled, and use it in good health!

Cheers scout, my head protection has arrived.......yay. Kids and rach all agreed..............im much better looking with it on:tinfoil:
:kiss:
CQP8Ceul.jpg

:laughing:

Been looking at sharpeners. Look to be like a file set up, held off so far as i am not yet learned in the art of sharpening! Some tube vids and the right tool for the job, will be coming up. Any tips would be hugely helpful , from expert to (not even a) novice.:cool:

Do you work for/with chainsaws?

oil wise for now, have 4L coming in soon
r6b88qjl.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
ven,
I love it.
That's one of those tools that are on my, "wish list" just because, but on the other hand, I already have two AC ones. One is a 10" or 12" pole-saw, the other a 14" or 16" electric chain saw.

My brother had two gas powered ones that weren't running and I took them home to work on them. He said if I get one runnign I can keep the other. I worked on one, and the carb was messed up, but cleaned it up and got it running. I gave it back to him. It failed after one or two uses. In the mean time, I did some favors for a friend, and he offered to work on the other in exchange. It was electrical and needed a new ignition. A more than even exchange. My son used it for a few days, and when done, it came back to me and then off to my brother.

I never used the gas ones, and the electrical ones have not seen AC since hurricane Sandy. I really can't justify a battery one. :( kinda wish I could :-|

Years ago I worked for three months for a tree cutting company, contracted to the utility company. I gathered and threw the trimmings into the chipper. I saw the mechanic sharpen the blades with a file. It took a bit of time, but he was "on the clock" so it didn't matter.

I tried using a file on my blades, and it was too much like work.
This tool wasn't available at the time (they were out of stock)
https://www.harborfreight.com/Elect...ZNW_Zi_MG8mC2iUSfGAWMMtyJHOiVmDMaAiF4EALw_wcB

So, I put the chain saw in my vice, and used a hand held cut off saw, and eye-balled the angle and depth, and it worked out pretty well. I am sure that you will not be happy to be so crude, and will in the least want a guide.

At any rate, please be careful. A chain saw is perhaps the most dangerous tool on the planet.

Be Safe!
Your friend from the other side of the pond.

ven

Flashaholic
Hey there poppy, thank you. Yes grinders are up there as well, i have a few and a large beast. That will cut through anything like butter, be it metal, concrete or parts of a 4x4(which i uses it for).

Thankfully batteries have come on a lot in the last few years, so you can get decent run times out of say a 5a battery(usually 10x 2500 samsung R inside). With quick chargers, 1 will charge in the time the other becomes exhausted. Quieter, cleaner, ideal being lighter for general uses. But cant compete against the big boys on big jobs. Certainly not my baby one, the 54v ones are more of a beast, but overkill for my "pruning" haha.

I have a few petrol bits and bobs, lawn mower, hedge trimmer(thats now retired), strimmer(still works 15yrs on). I generally favour petrol, no cables, just easier to work with. But now with batteries being much better, once the others pack in. I will sure consider battery strimmer and maybe even lawnmower. I would only need the bare units, so a little money saved there.

A pole saw would be super useful, the dewalt only had an 8" bar which would have made it quite hard work come the time(at top of hedge, your looking at 5ft thick(front to back) and its got to be 16ft tall.

I can really justify either, i was quoted around £200 to cut 1/2 down, then looking same again to remove and tip(business get charged for that to). So i thought buy the tool and then i am good for future uses to. There is some method in the madness somewhere in there:)

Crazily, i could have bought a cheap end chainsaw for less than 1/2 the cost of the bare unit. Heck if include 2 batteries a 1/4 of the cost maybe. I looked at decent(or what looked to be) used stihl saws, but not knowing their life and use. It would/could have been an expensive gamble.

I like to think future investment. Might not get used for a few year, but its there if i do need it.
A chopper would be super useful, thats where the extra cost of removing comes in. So i am thinking cut up and trailer off several times to the tip(well it needs to be open first, all shut up shop with the virus, looks like i will be waiting till Sep now).

That sharpener looks trick! Not seen one like that, one i was looking at was on amazon and looks more manual work!

I will sure try poppy thank you, you to your side.

OK, ven. I'm sold. Turing 63 next month I decided on the same saw for a birthday present. Saw and batteries are scheduled to arrive in a few days. Thank you for all the information.

A word of caution concerning WD40 - It's a solvent not a lubricant.

I've been using this Oregon branded 12v dremel-type tool when I don't feel like spending the time for a proper file sharpening. It works great and it's convenient when out in the woods.
p6liBPH.jpg

Edit: A YouTube video advises to store the saw on its side with the blade up to keep it from leaking bar oil.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for info, always appreciate it....it all helps.

Not lubricated actual chainsaw yet, but will lube prior to use ,so it does not run dry initially(before actual lube feeds once started).

Yes agree with wd40, I actually use this prior to getting the oil in the mail. Reason I used wd40 was I did a little search and found a chainsaw forum(not joined or signed up.......yet lol).

One of the seasoned members said he did it with his chains, then stored. So I simply thought, if he does it,I might as well for an amateur. Dipping in chain saw oil is defo the way to go before use if you can(might get messy). But it was just a temp substitute and put in bag. Just as the new chain was dry and more to deter any moisture in the air. Now I have oil, a quick brush over will be done soon.

Happy early 63rd CG, awesome . Looks like you will be doing a review before me! Haha let me know if it's any good :nana:

The battery dewalt (be it 18 or 54v) all seem to leak , so from research a couple of easy rules . Fill oil, when battery time to change, check top oil back. A typical 5a battery(say 1 hour use) will roughly use the oil up. Drain/remove oil when stored, they all seem to leak, call it personality. Don't want to drain oil? Store in a bag or away from any contamination risk.
Cheers!

turbodog

Flashaholic
This, all day. I have a Stihl leaf blower and chainsaw, my dad and uncle both have their chainsaws and weedeaters with leaf blower and pole saw attachments, and my little brother has the 170, which is an awesome saw we've been throwing in the back of trucks anytime we go to the river or camping for what seems like forever, unfortunately we didn't have cell phones with great cameras back then so we didn't take pictures of new toys(we do now). While they are IMO the most reliable out there this junk gasoline we have now wreaks havoc on all small engines, including boat motors.

I've got to chime in here because I have zero problems with push mowers, riding mowers, trimmers, blowers, hedge clippers, or any one of 3 chainsaws. I run 10% ethanol 'regular' gas and have always run it. I also live in the gulf coast region, so humidity is very high.

Given that I have zero problems and everyone else seems to complain I'm assuming that what I do with the fuel makes the difference. Yes I know that's confirmation bias so shoot me!

I always all tanks full at the end of the day. No room for air (moisture) in a tank that's full. This does not apply to my big mower during cutting season, but I do fill it to the top for the winter.

My gas jugs are airtight. They seal very well. The caps are not loose, cracked, etc.

I only use sta-bil when storing for the winter. During a move, when we didn't have any trees, I had a chainsaw sit for over 2 years. After a move to a new house, it cranked in under 5 pulls.

stihl 026 18" bar (bought 1996)
stihl 260 cmq 20" bar
stihl 362 cmq 24" bar

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I've got no saw and it's breakin my heart
But I'v got the batteries and that's a start

Awesome, can only get up to 5a 18v here in UK. If i want 6a or 9a, i have to use the 18/54v batteries . Even the 6a is around £85 ish for 1 battery........not cheap!

Hopefully the saw will be with you soon, dont forget! no opening till your birthday :p

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>

A pole saw would be super useful, the dewalt only had an 8" bar which would have made it quite hard work come the time(at top of hedge, your looking at 5ft thick(front to back) and its got to be 16ft tall.

For the top of the hedge, you may find a tool rental place with long reach- reciprocating hedge trimmers.

They'll build muscles for sure if you are running them all day. :whistle:
Fortunately I was helping a neighbor, and asked to borrow one from my brother-in-law (a landscaper) and he brought it over and ran it for a few hours. I watched him work, and my muscles didn't get sore at all! :)

I can really justify either, i was quoted around £200 to cut 1/2 down, then looking same again to remove and tip(business get charged for that to). So i thought buy the tool and then i am good for future uses to. There is some method in the madness somewhere in there:)
Yeah, that's how and why, I acquire most of my tools. Even specialty tools for the car.
Crazily, i could have bought a cheap end chainsaw for less than 1/2 the cost of the bare unit. Heck if include 2 batteries a 1/4 of the cost maybe. I looked at decent(or what looked to be) used stihl saws, but not knowing their life and use. It would/could have been an expensive gamble.

Agreed. STIHL's are not so much for the amateur, but rather the professional. The pro's will take better care of their equipment, but then work them to death, and only replace them when they are worn out. Then of course there are those who have a crew of men working for them who are jealous of the owner and beat the snot out of the equipment out of disrespect. In either case, you might get lucky, but on the other hand, maybe not so lucky.

Awesome, can only get up to 5a 18v here in UK. If i want 6a or 9a, i have to use the 18/54v batteries . Even the 6a is around £85 ish for 1 battery........not cheap!

Hopefully the saw will be with you soon, dont forget! no opening till your birthday :p

Beatles - Drive My Car - reference.

Being 63 means never having to wait to open your presents. I have a Dewalt sawzall that I'm going to use the 6ah batteries in to have a go-at a dead cherrie tree. The chainsaw is scheduled to arrive next Sunday. The batteries are currently being charges. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me......:)

........ asked to borrow one from my brother-in-law (a landscaper) and he brought it over and ran it for a few hours. I watched him work, and my muscles didn't get sore at all! :)

I've learned from experience to never loan the tools I make my living with. I just got tired of them being returned broken and/or abused. "Sorry, man. I don't know what happened. It just broke .... must've been damaged when you gave it to me."

I've also made it a rule to not borrow tools other people use for their living. aka - "I need the tools, but I don't want to pay you to use them."

Poppy

Flashaholic
Chauncey,
Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! :)

I don't use tools for a living, but when I do loan them out, I do with the admonishment: "You know the Rule, when you borrow a man's tools, right? You return the tool in the same or better condition, than what it was in, when you borrowed it."

When I borrow a man's tools, I adhere to that statement.

Chauncey,
Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! :)

I don't use tools for a living, but when I do loan them out, I do with the admonishment: "You know the Rule, when you borrow a man's tools, right? You return the tool in the same or better condition, than what it was in, when you borrowed it."

When I borrow a man's tools, I adhere to that statement.

I wish you lived next door, Poppy. :buddies:

ven

Flashaholic
There is the dewalt pole saw, this would be ideal. Its only an 8" saw, so would take a good bit of work. I will see, i may be tempted with the body!
DCPS620M1

Poppy

Flashaholic
My dad had a 8 inch high stump in his back yard that he has been wanting to remove for a few years.
We had NO chainsaw, or sawzall, so I cut 3 inch deep cuts into it, and set it on fire.
Had to do that a couple of times, but it is working.

ACtC-3c1sokjSoNyaRSB9lvdVDiyBI86Dkt-nBdxLu69s9iebHX4vIv4Naxz-cFPMLbEUumMcL9w8aU0fLfTGRXkzKIIlyyn6ezRnHXd997DjB6YH-5rh8WDi6N_5R61XHWl_xzQo_qHwNULqDLfQJDZSHEp=w1148-h903-no

maxx44

Newly Enlightened
I do prefer to use BLACK+DECKER 12-Inch chainsaw for the last few months. It works perfectly with a timber we have in our area. I've got it after reading comparison article in here ( link: https://toolinspector.com/ ). It has nice reviews on jigsaws as well, and some other stuff for your garage tollsets.

Last edited:

Latest posts