*NEW* Fenix CL25R camping light,micro-usb rechargeable, max 350 lumens

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay i think im going to buy the green one you guys talked me into it ha, you all seem to like it so much.

I don't think you will regret it. :)
It is truly an excellent lantern. I currently own three other LED lanterns ranging in cost up to $100. The CL25R is easily the best of the bunch. Neutral tint, 4 modes ranging from 0.8 to 350, 18650 support and CR123 in a pinch, tripod thread and magnetic base... pretty hard to ask for more.

I've used mine for almost a week now and am really impressed by it. If I could make a few changes to make it perfect? I'd prefer no mode memory and just always start on low. Additionally, I wish the red mode was accessible from off. Again, all pretty minor gripes.

Enlightened
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but is the included 2300mah battery a protected cell?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you will regret it. :)
It is truly an excellent lantern. I currently own three other LED lanterns ranging in cost up to $100. The CL25R is easily the best of the bunch. Neutral tint, 4 modes ranging from 0.8 to 350, 18650 support and CR123 in a pinch, tripod thread and magnetic base... pretty hard to ask for more.

I've used mine for almost a week now and am really impressed by it. If I could make a few changes to make it perfect? I'd prefer no mode memory and just always start on low. Additionally, I wish the red mode was accessible from off. Again, all pretty minor gripes.
I love mine, too, and would make the same changes if I could.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red mode accessible from off would be nice. I'm surprised the memory didn't just carry over to the red light so if the last mode you were on was red at turn off, it would come back on in red.

swannyj

Newly Enlightened
help please

Received the lantern, plugged it to charge & green light displayed. So, assumed it was charged and it did turn on, went thru a view modes turned off, came back later & would not turn on. Plugged in to charge, again green light. I pulled the battery and it is charging on my charger now. Suggestions, what am I missing?
Thanks

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: help please

Just to be clear, are you holding down the button for the delayed on/off? If quick pressing it won't work, that only works when on to change modes.

swannyj

Newly Enlightened

Just to be clear, are you holding down the button for the delayed on/off? If quick pressing it won't work, that only works when on to change modes.

Yes, I did hold down. Battery is still on charger charging, will try again when it is done. Thanks for reply.

swannyj

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I did hold down. Battery is still on charger charging, will try again when it is done. Thanks for reply.

O.k., light worked fine after charging on my charger. Will try the USB charger when time for next charge. O.k. to use iPad wall charger?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

O.k., light worked fine after charging on my charger. Will try the USB charger when time for next charge. O.k. to use iPad wall charger?

I think any standard usb power supply is fine but I could be wrong.

torchflux

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the pics and review comments, and the link to the other CL25R thread. (have waited for this — an 18650 lantern — ever since page 1 of the Fenix 2015 thread)

Can anyone tell me how this CL25R compares to the Streamlight Siege AA?

Just picked one up this week from a sporting goods store (on sale $29.99) on an out-of-town trip for work. When I'd first heard about them (an AA version of the Siege) late last year, it took awhile before some online vendors even had them in stock.

Sweet little 3×AA lantern. Has some rubber knurling/'armor' around its edges, positive grip; for such a small portable light it does seem pretty solidly built (patterned after its big brother D-cell). Top carry handle has hook notch, folds along side of lens/cover and is rubber(/polymer?) coated. Larger reach than CL25R's handle (which is designed to fold on circular top of lantern).

White and red LEDs/output modes (hold button down to switch colors). Mode button is lighted green (orange for highest output setting). Bottom globe (w/ LEDs) section can be detached, has its own spring loaded D-ring which can be used to hang it upside down. And, it floats. No magnet though. Also no in-device USB charging, just AA cells or rechargeables.

5 modes rated from its product tag: High 200 (7 hours) | Medium 100 (15.5 hours) | Low 50 (37 hours) | Red 0.7 (192 hours) | S.O.S. 0.7 (288 hours)
Of course it can't touch the 18650-fed CL25R for high output.
Streamlight claims 2m impact resistance (Fenix: 1m)

also for 2×AA, don't neglect the UST Brila. Available for 8 bucks each on Amazon, several color options. I bought two (could easily have several more, to stash in car/toolbox etc.) Similar overall design concept to the Siege AA, smaller of course and doesn't have an upper carry handle, but does have bottom magnets and carabiner clip to hang from. White/red LEDs too.

hazza

Newly Enlightened

Mine arrived today :D Even after seeing the pictures, it's smaller than I expected! Still, really pleased with it. Also glad to find a solid red mode, as the early info only seemed to mention flashing red.

funkychateau

Enlightened
I'm amazed that the people in the photo could remain motionless for that amount of earth rotation.

This looks like a great product, but it is too bad the marketing department cannot control themselves. In the advertising photo below, there are streaks in the sky made by stars that have moved during a long exposure. So if you put the camera on a tripod, and make a long exposure at twilight, this light appears to illuminate the entire area for miles around! Check out the distant hill at the far left.

CL25R-5_zpsivpm4a7y.jpg

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I'm amazed that the people in the photo could remain motionless for that amount of earth rotation.
They didn't. The trick that the photographer used is to do a long exposure in the dark to pick up the earth rotation the a quick pop with flash (speedlights) to light the scene.

My guess is the streaks in the sky were an unwanted effect. I am thinking long exposure with lantern in moonlight mode. This will give the effect of really bright light, while limiting reach (avoiding having models movement blur the photo). Then have the speedlights finish the frame.

Depending on how dark it was it might have even been possible to have the models enter the scene midshot.

Eagle

Last edited: