*NEW* Fenix TK16 tactical flashlight,1000 lumens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
The TK22 had a lot better flood characteristics, though, and the automated step-down wasn't for a full 20 minutes or so, which was very handy, in a lot of instances.

p.s. Is anyone aware of when automated step-down (from the 1000 lumen turbo, to the 400 lumen high mode) occurs, with the new TK16? Is it thermal? Timed? They claim 1 hour, 10 minutes, but there's no way that can be continuous, at 1000 lumens, in a single 18650 body. That would be too good to be true :|

Good point. On turbo this gives slightly less throw than the TK15, and presumably it is on a timer to step down, and has less turbo runtime overall as well.

Though I'm a fenix fan, I'm just not sold on this. Twin tail switches might be nice, but I'm not sure the other factors make it worthwhile for me.

AdamDaze

Newly Enlightened
Re : Step-downs...I don't think this is aimed at the wood trail walkers / campers kind of market...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure whether I understand your post but normally step-downs have nothing to do with tactical vs outdoor applications. Even if Fenix have now started using words like "tactical" for obvious marketing purposes, Fenix lights have always been outdoor-oriented products.

I think step-downs are unavoidable if they want to drive a 1x18650 light that hard and still keep a decent performance. My HL55 - which is a headlamp - meant for outdoor use or at least not a tactical one and it steps down.
IMHO, the way the flashlight market works, if Fenix had come out with a 800-lumen TK16, they would have had a hard to make good sales as there are already many lights on the market which are that bright.

What strikes me is that flashlight manufacturers have always underestimated the importance of one-hand operation for outdoor activities. I'm an outdoor enthusiast and I try to always pick tools that allow some kind of one-hand-operation, be it knives, multi-tools, flashlights, phones, or GPS units. It's not because I have two arms that both my hands are always free at all times! Not to mention potential emergency situations where I'd be alone and with one my hands or arms injured - situations I nearly found myself in on more than one occasion after a nasty fall while mountain running in bad weather: what do I do? Wait for a deer to come and help me opening tools or press that shiny-looking, fancy side switch my neighbor was so impressed with?

So far the TK16 seems a good light though I agree with those who argue that it would have been nice to be able to preset the starting brightness level to be always on high or low ecc.

Last edited:

lildave

Newly Enlightened
I love mine it's now my EDC. Brighter and better spot than my pd32ue. Easy controls.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
e3ee81ffb6c47219819ec7039954e484.jpg

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Although this doesn't apply to me, I still wonder if it would pose a problem for gloved users. Wouldn't it be hard to change mode when wearing gloves?

I have been using TK16 for 3 months now and I don't have a single problem using TK16 with gloves on. Not even with motorcycle gloves! ;)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using TK16 for 3 months now and I don't have a single problem using TK16 with gloves on. Not even with motorcycle gloves! ;)
I have yet to try it with gloves on. I guess I would try it one day when I am out on my night hikes.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Possible shilling thread closed.
FYI: While discussion threads are of course permitted, creating a thread by merely posting a website hyperlink & a 'file pic' is not an acceptable discussion opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.