*new* Fenix UC35: micro-usb rechargeable, max 960 lumens

HDBEAR

Newly Enlightened
On this, and any USB rechargeable light, does it matter what watt charger is used? I have a drawer full of 5w & 12w apple chargers, can either be used?

Thanks

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
On this, and any USB rechargeable light, does it matter what watt charger is used? I have a drawer full of 5w & 12w apple chargers, can either be used?

Thanks

5 watt,is OK.

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Fits my hand well. I choose the UC35 over the PD 35 because it is rechargeable. I like the ability to be able to recharge anywhere I can find a USB port.

Completely agree,you don't need to buy charger,luckily,this one can charge common 18650 batteries,different from UC40

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've had the UC35 for over a month, I can report that it is the flashlight I use the most.

Regarding charging...
mcfarlie6996: Question, does this recharge any 18650 or does this require a specialty battery like the UC40?

fenix1: UC35 can be used to charge the common 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery from 65mm to 71mm in length.

I bought a second 18650 (Efest 3100 mAh) so I could have a spare for extended use, and the UC35 charges it up just fine. The Fenix battery is labeled 3.6 volts and the Efest battery is labeled 3.7 volts. Measured voltage, using a Fluke 16 in Vcheck mode (2k ohm load) was 4.06 for the Efest and 4.09 for the Fenix. Only three hundredths of a volt difference; a rounding error.
After buying the UC35, I then purchased a PD22UE (for God's sake somebody stop me! :takeit:) and a Watson 3.7 volt CR123A. Since the CR123A and the 18650 were the same voltage (3.7), I used the UC35 to charge the CR123A by adding a dummy cell in series. It worked flawlessly. This works well for me since I don't have a stand alone LiIon charger.

I really like the PD22UE too!

Happy Holidays!

P.S. An aside...
I was wondering about the accuracy of my Fluke 16 and the best I can do is to compare it to another meter and evaluate the difference. As stated above "Measured voltage... ...was 4.06 for the Efest and 4.09 for the Fenix" using the Fluke 16. I also measured the voltages with my Fluke 189, the results: Fenix 4.0832 volts and the Efest was 4.0510. Pretty close. The 189 should have had slightly higher voltage readings since it's a high impedance meter (10 Mohms vs. 2 kohms for the 16 in Vcheck) and since it was calibrated some years back I'm suspecting the 16 is reading slightly high, but not by much. Of course all the voltage info is pretty pointless, but I find it interesting none the less.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
had mine for two weeks and love it! The glow in the dark mode switch is awesome and should also be on the UC40UE. It charges quick! Bright as hell with a warmer tint. EXTREMELY well made. Included 3200mah Fenix cell is pretty sweet....

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
I am still confused. Not all USB ports put out the same juice. So is it safe to assume that this would charge from any USB port regardless of the output? Wether on my computer, or my iPhone wall adapter, just doesn't matter?

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
All USB ports put out 5 volts (at least they're supposed to). However different ones can SUPPLY higher or lower amps. Volts times amps equals watts. So 5 volts at one amp equals 5 watts. 5 volts at two amps equals 10 watts.

The thing is, AMPS are drawn, not pushed, almost always. A properly designed circuit will only draw what it designed to.

Think of a car headlight typically 55 watts. It'll only draw a bit over 4.6 amps from the car's battery which can supply hundreds of amps if needed. The light just takes what it wants and no more.

I'm not an Apple user, but I've never seen an Apple product that uses the micro-USB connector, all the ones I've seen are propitiatory. Am I mistaken?

Last edited:

one1002

Newly Enlightened
Hi there

I am new here in this forum. I posted a new thread about the UC35, unfortunately, it is still being moderated. I just wanna know, what are the major differences between this unit andthe UC40UE apart from the clip, switch and the ability to use different type of batteries?

Thanks

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
UC40UE has a slightly larger reflector, mode switch on the UC35 glows in the dark vs the switch on the UC40UE being almost impossible to find in the dark. UC40UE is also thicker bodywise

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Hi there

I am new here in this forum. I posted a new thread about the UC35, unfortunately, it is still being moderated. I just wanna know, what are the major differences between this unit andthe UC40UE apart from the clip, switch and the ability to use different type of batteries?

Thanks

UC35 can charge common 18650 batteries,but UC40can only charge ARB-L1 battery

one1002

Newly Enlightened
You have no thread awaiting moderation, this is your only post - Norm
That's weird, because I remembered typing about a full page of new thread lol :whistle:
Nevermind then, I'll just post and reply here instead of opening a new thread. :wave:

UC40UE has a slightly larger reflector, mode switch on the UC35 glows in the dark vs the switch on the UC40UE being almost impossible to find in the dark. UC40UE is also thicker bodywise

UC35 can charge common 18650 batteries,but UC40can only charge ARB-L1 battery

Thank you guys for the reply. I think that the fact UC35 can charge common 18650 alone is a great addition! Might end up with UC35 soon!

Anyway, which one would you get? UC35 or UC40UE or perhaps PD35? All in the 960 lumens range..:)

thank!

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for the reply. I think that the fact UC35 can charge common 18650 alone is a great addition! Might end up with UC35 soon!

Anyway, which one would you get? UC35 or 40UEor perhaps PD35? All in the 960 lumens range..:)

thank!

I got the UC35 because it uses the 18650 not a proprietary battery like the UC40UE. The UC35 is pretty much a PD35 with a built in charger. I was looking at the PD35 when I discovered the UC35 and like the rechargeable part.

magicstone12

Banned
I got the UC35 because it uses the 18650 not a proprietary battery like the UC40UE. The UC35 is pretty much a PD35 with a built in charger. I was looking at the PD35 when I discovered the UC35 and like the rechargeable part.

I think UC35 is a rechargeable PD35,almost looks the same

den331

Newly Enlightened
is the uc35 really water resistant if the usb plug is open? because i just recieved my uc35 i noticed when you open the plug you will see little portion of the PCB board. please help thanks

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got the UC40UE, UC35 and 4 PD35's. Out of them all I prefer the UC35 as it is just more sophisticated than the others, it charges quick! Yes its waterproof even with the USB plug open. The 3200mah Fenix cell the UC35 comes with is a pretty sweet deal.

den331

Newly Enlightened
Ive got the UC40UE, UC35 and 4 PD35's. Out of them all I prefer the UC35 as it is just more sophisticated than the others, it charges quick! Yes its waterproof even with the USB plug open. The 3200mah Fenix cell the UC35 comes with is a pretty sweet deal.
how long is the charging of the uc35? , i also have the uc40 and i don't like the interface it is very hard to find the switch in the dark

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
I have the uc40 also and I Cant stand that switch ,I'll grab the P12 before that
how long is the charging of the uc35? , i also have the uc40 and i don't like the interface it is very hard to find the switch in the dark

magicstone12

Banned

"It takes about 5 hours to fully charge a 3400mAh Li-ion 18650 battery (lab-tested by Fenix using ARB-L2S rechargeable Li-ion battery",according to the manual,but it depends on the batteries you use,it support different batteries

schwen

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new here and I just posted a similar post in another thread. I'm looking for a new highend flashligt for everyday use that is easy to recharge. I have been looking on this uc 35 and the Olight s30r. Pros and cons? what light should I go for?