*new* Fenix UC40 rechargeable light

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy the ARB-L1S by itself. They introduced that battery as an option to buy a spare with the Fenix RC10 rechargeable light. That's their "duty" style light that comes with a wall-mount charging system or car dock etc.

If you look at the specs the ARB-L1S has the same capacity as the ARB-L2 18650's they sell (I have two of those in my E50), but they differ in that the ARB-L1S has a plastic "barrier" on at least one of the sides which allows a specific circuit connection to be made to actually charge the light. I think it comes down to the way the charging actually happens in the light vs in other lights that have the ability to charge in light.

For somebody who's read more on the UC40 is it even safe to ATTEMPT to charge normal 18650's in the light or does it prevent this all together because of the design.

Anyway, the UC40 comes with the battery and you can buy another for less than 20 dollars so it doesn't seem like an issue for me even if you use it THAT much so that eventually you'd need another. Keep in mind it takes a long long time to literally use an 18650 to death :)

celler

Newly Enlightened
I have a UC40 and the documentation indicates that it will only recharge the ARB-L1S by design. This is easy to do as the ARB-L1S has both positive and negative terminals at each end. Thus, it does not matter which end you stick into the light first. I suspect that Fenix's thinking is two fold. First, they want to sell their ARB-L1S battery which I think is a good cell. Second, with all the variations in quality of 18650 batteries, protected and non-protected cells, and the tendency of improperly charged cells or damaged cells to fail in a somewhat "explosive" manner, Fenix wanted some control over each element of the charging process.

I also have the RC10 and RC15 which use the same ARB-L1S battery and now the RC40 can act as an emergency charger for the other two lights.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Yeah this gets back to why I was saying this is such an amazing gift light. Fenix made those arb-l1s batteries basically foolproof so if you give it to someone and maybe get them a second spare battery for the long term future you know they aren't going to screw things up and hurt themselves or start a fire :)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like an interesting light, except for the proprietary battery. I like the idea of charging the battery inside of the light with a USB charger, or from a laptop. It also can be charged by a portable battery pack. This could end up on my wish list depending how much an extra battery would cost. It is also interesting that Nitecore makes a light that does all this (MH25), charges a standard 18650, is brighter (at least for 3 minutes!), cheaper, but gets little to no mention here on the forum. I bought one about a month ago and posted a question about it, but never got a response. It has been packed up ready to go back to REI, but maybe I will give it another try. I was going to swap it for a Fenix PD35, but I may give it another look!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like an interesting light, except for the proprietary battery. I like the idea of charging the battery inside of the light with a USB charger, or from a laptop. It also can be charged by a portable battery pack. This could end up on my wish list depending how much an extra battery would cost. It is also interesting that Nitecore makes a light that does all this (MH25), charges a standard 18650, is brighter (at least for 3 minutes!), cheaper, but gets little to no mention here on the forum. I bought one about a month ago and posted a question about it, but never got a response. It has been packed up ready to go back to REI, but maybe I will give it another try. I was going to swap it for a Fenix PD35, but I may give it another look!

That Nitecore series uses xm-l's though don't they? This UC40 will have good throw without needing a very large head using the xp-g2. And at over 400 lumens it will have a nice big bright hotspot with plenty of spill. The spare batteries for it are under 20 bucks too.

Enterich

Newly Enlightened
It is also interesting that Nitecore makes a light that does all this (MH25), charges a standard 18650, is brighter (at least for 3 minutes!), cheaper, but gets little to no mention here on the forum.

I think Fenix should have done this with this torch. Supply it with the ARB-L2 18650 battery, and allow it to charge whatever 18650s people want if they are 'pro' enough to handle a different battery. If they are worried about people using random unprotected cells, simply write in a disclaimer saying that it may affect warranty, fires may happen etc.

I think 3 battery types is confusing for the newbie, thus undermining its idiot-proofing.

A future fenix flashlight I'd like to see would be roughly the size of the UC40, charge 18650s, and maybe able to back-charge to USB devices.

Tapis

Enlightened
I just ordered two UC40 as a christmas present for family members.
Thanks all for your comments.

EDIT: I wonder why some people here mention that it can stands on its tail, whereas it seems can not. Some clarification regarding this would be nice.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I just ordered two UC40 as a christmas present for family members.
Thanks all for your comments.

EDIT: I wonder why some people here mention that it can stands on its tail, whereas it seems can not. Some clarification regarding this would be nice.

That would be my fault. I was certain from looking at the photos. There are two flat spots on the end so I assumed it would stand. I can't confirm this from any reviews.

celler

Newly Enlightened
I have a UC40, it definitely tail stands so long as you place the rubber cover over the USB port. I like this flashlight to keep in my car and for travel as I can easily recharge it using micro USB chargers that I keep in the car and in my travel bag.

Sh3ngLong

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone gotten the Ultimate Edition version of the UC40? I can't seem to find a thread about it. I've been meaning to get a flashlight that can be charged via micro USB (since I have a bunch of those chargers at home, work, and in my car), but I'd like to read more user experience feedback on this before pulling the trigger.

116201463532PM84590.jpg

kj2

Flashaholic
Has anyone gotten the Ultimate Edition version of the UC40? I can't seem to find a thread about it. I've been meaning to get a flashlight that can be charged via micro USB (since I have a bunch of those chargers at home, work, and in my car), but I'd like to read more user experience feedback on this before pulling the trigger.

116201463532PM84590.jpg

It should be the same light, only with a higher output.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be the same light, only with a higher output.
+1. It looks like the main differences are:
1. The brighter turbo - and probably a steeper step-down.
2. The way outputs are spaced.
3. The 3400 mAh battery instead of a 2600 one.
4. Overall shorter runtimes due to higher brightness on nearly all modes.

IMHO, going from 10 to 110 lumens is not the best choice but it depends what you use the light for.

Last edited:

Sh3ngLong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm just going to go for the Nitecore P25.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The entire package is compact. The light, and the charger. That's great if you're carrying it around with you. Not everyone is able to carry spare batteries and a larger charger. This light, and it's charger are as small as a two cell 18650 charger. That in itself makes it an interesting light. You can charge it at your desk at work, or in your car or plugged into a Goal Zero or other solar panel, or your laptop. This is great if you're having to travel light. Bring one charger for your phone and light, and if you're flying someplace these won't get you looked at as hard when they are in your carry on.
It's not a throw light, but a 50 meter flood. That has it's uses too.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
My wife got me the UC40 UE for an anniversary present :twothumbs It's the first Fenix light I've had in a long time and something I would have never bought myself. I love it though!

Here's my thoughts:

• It's really very bright with a very large hotspot. I think it's brighter than any of my P60 lights - even the ones using 5a drop ins. A real flood monster!
  • It's pretty cool being able to charge it easily at my nightstand or car and easily see when it's at full charge.
  • I have tested it with normal 18650 batteries and they work too (actually the Fenix battery is a modified 18650).
  • Well-spaced brightness levels.
  • Attractive finish and knurling - high quality build typical of Fenix.

My only complaint about this light is the button. I have difficulty locating it in the dark. Maybe I'll get used to it. Otherwise this light has become my go-to light for the home.

-adept1

p.s. I'm thinking about trying 2x 18350 in it. Will it :poof:?

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how long the UC40 will run at 420 lumens before it goes into overheat protection and drops down to 160 Lumens?

Thanks.

kj2

Flashaholic
Does anyone know how long the UC40 will run at 420 lumens before it goes into overheat protection and drops down to 160 Lumens?

Thanks.

(Normally) only the highest-mode has a step-down. All the other modes should run as long the battery can provide the power.