• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New flashlight: The Copperhead [interest / description / sales] thread

Eciton

Newly Enlightened
My bro's received the light, thanks Dan! Hope it makes it safely across the Atlantic ;)

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
A couple of quick and dirty iPod photos:

Copperhead Size Comparison by kukkurovaca, on Flickr

(Comparison: L2P (18650), L2M (18350), Copperhead (18350) with an L2P tail, L2M+ZRS (18500), TL20+ZRS (18350))

Copperhead Flashlight by kukkurovaca, on Flickr

My Copperhead configuration is: Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory,

I did some very casual eyeball and ceiling bounce comparisons to my other Nichia 219 lights, and my sense is that the low is a bit lower than the M61 219 w/hi/lo ring, and quite a bit lower than the low on my EDC+ X60L3. The high is somewhere between high on the M61 and the medium on the X60L3. (For reference, the low on the X60L3 is 9 lumens, and the medium is 265 lumens, per the manual. Not sure about the M61 219, but I seem to recall reading that it's supposed to be about 200 lumens or a bit more on high.)

The mode spacing is very good. The hotspot is much tighter than the M61 219 - might also be a bit tighter than on my M61NL. It's also slightly off center -- I don't think it'll impact usability, though.

Seems to work with all the kinds of Solarforce tailcap I own, although I wouldn't recommend using the S7 with it. I find it more usable with a reverse clicky than a forward clicky, but that's probably just my bias. It also works fine with the tailcap from my MD2.

The Copperhead does NOT work with my Oveready Diamondback ZRS tailcaps, which is too bad. Maybe if the spring in the Copperhead were larger? (Edit: Nope, I'm a dummy. The opposite the case: the cell is too long in this body for the tailcap to screw down far enough to make contact.) Also, I don't know whether it would make a difference to use a ZRS installed in a Solarforce tailcap instead.

Overall? Quite pleased. It's a great form factor, and the tailcap/extension compatibility is very practical. And it's got a very useful beam pattern with a favorite tint/CRI.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! Your N219 should be 240-250lm on high, so I'd say your impressions are right on.

If there is one frustration with this build, it is the difficulty of getting a perfect beam out of the lens. They work fine and are efficient, but they are not "pretty" on the white wall. I have mocked up copperheads with reflectors, and they have perfect beams, but I don't see them as being as durable as these optics. Plus they would make the light larger.

Also, I'm disappointed that the ZRS does not work, since I was thinking of getting one myself :(. I'm sure it is because I have the light sized for the largest 18650s, so that may make the chamber a little long for shorter batteries and the ZRS, which has no spring. I could make the chamber shorter to fit, but then it might be a tight squeeze getting the long protected batteries in there.

Let's have some discussion on these issues! Thoughts or comments?

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
If the ZRS is having a hard time with shorter cells then just use some magnets. The sides can even be shrink wrapped to prevent shorts.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
With a ZRS, the tailcaps only job is controlling the spacing and keeping out water. A bare (no tailcap) ZRS can be held against the bare body, for testing. To check for battery looseness, hold the ZRS tight with thumb and shake. The more cell movement you feel, the more spring length/strength is needed.

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
No, sorry guys, that was a complete brain fart by me: the issue isn't that that cell is too short, but that the cell is too long. Duh. (Is there a dunce cap emoticon?) With an 18500, the cap can't screw down far enough to make contact.

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
It does. But the 18500 (it's an AW IMR, FWIW) seems to sit about 3-5mm deeper in my L2M than it does in the Copperhead, depending on compression of the spring in the drop-in.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
How we doing with the XML2'S?

Any progress?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the delay. Holiday and I've been ill. But progress is here:
u2y6a2ug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! Your N219 should be 240-250lm on high, so I'd say your impressions are right on.

If there is one frustration with this build, it is the difficulty of getting a perfect beam out of the lens. They work fine and are efficient, but they are not "pretty" on the white wall. I have mocked up copperheads with reflectors, and they have perfect beams, but I don't see them as being as durable as these optics. Plus they would make the light larger.

Also, I'm disappointed that the ZRS does not work, since I was thinking of getting one myself :(. I'm sure it is because I have the light sized for the largest 18650s, so that may make the chamber a little long for shorter batteries and the ZRS, which has no spring. I could make the chamber shorter to fit, but then it might be a tight squeeze getting the long protected batteries in there.

Let's have some discussion on these issues! Thoughts or comments?

Thanks, Dan

I'm looking to buy one of your lights for maximum durability and reliability, so an optic would be ideal for me, as would a conversion to twisty. What about the ZeroRez (non-Shorty)? Wouldn't that convert to twisty without adding unnecessary length to an 18650-sized battery compartment? Is the ZRS compatible with ordinary Solarforce tailcaps (presumably there would be no contact issues with these, as the body is Solarforce-compatible)? I may have misunderstood some of the ZRS discussion, so please forgive any stupid questions/comments!

Personally, I use AW's 18650s, so any compartment that is compatible with these batteries would get my vote (or an 18500-compatible compartment would be fine, so I could use a ZRS).

Hi Keebler,

I'm going to push to get the outstanding orders finished this weekend, and I'll put you down for the next run. I don't have any ZR or ZRS, but I do want to get one of each for myself for testing and use. The only issue seems to be battery tube length, and that can be adjusted several mm each way no prob, as long as I know which way to go!

If you are really interested in the ZRS - I have an 18500 surefire tube that Oveready sent to see what I can make of it, and I specifically want to make a ZRS 18650 out of it or an 18500 single mode high-amp tactical. I would be happy to make an all surefire copperhead with the ZRS in it for you but it would be significantly more expensive because of all the premium parts. I would make it around my AW IMR or any other battery you wish.

lensman

Newly Enlightened
Does that mean it's time to pay? I would have paid earlier but I've become a bit gun-shy on paying too early for items "in queue" from another hobbyist. I'm still waiting after 14 months!

Let me know and I will PayPal!

Thanks!

justanotherguy

Enlightened
received!
Awesome light, thanks Dan
Tony

I left it outside on high, it was still going at 3 hours...

Last edited:

Latest posts