New Headlamp: Armytek Tiara A1 v2 XP-L vs Zebralight H53W or Other? 14500/AA or 18650

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened
Re: Recommended 18650 Zebralight & Armytek for backpacking? Which batts & charger?

Anyone know why I'm not receiving email alerts for replies to threads I'm following?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommended 18650 Zebralight & Armytek for backpacking? Which batts & charger?

1) Why did you prefer the 14500 support? Is it really that big a deal? AA batteries are widely available and Eneloop Pro batteries pack good energy and cool weather performance, as do Lithium batteries.

It's not a big deal for many of us, because the ~300 lumens the current AA Zebralights are capable of still covers a very wide range of uses. However, the previous generation could provide a burst of roughly 500 lumens when used with a 14500 battery. It's a matter of what your personal needs are. Since you're also going to get an 18650 headlamp, it sounds like you'll have high output needs well covered.

2) Would you suggest using Eneloop AA regular or Eneloop Pro AA with the H53W?

It's not worth putting too much thought into in my opinion, but I'd suggest staying with the regular Eneloop's unless you need the extra runtime. You pay roughly 1-1/2 times as much for 1-1/4 times the capacity, and the higher capacity batteries aren't rated for as long of life or as low self-discharge. And again, you'll have the 18650 light at your disposal, too.

3) I'd love high CRI bulbs and would wait a few weeks if they were definitely coming out by then. Do you know if they'll have the H53 in neutral white high CRI? And the H600W in high CRI? Will the cost be significantly higher for high CRI LED's?

The high CRI neutral white Zebralights have a "C" in the model number instead of a "W".

The AA-powered H53c and H53Fc were released months ago and are available now. The H600Fc (no H600c model is listed) are only available for pre-order. I don't know if they have a planned shipping date announced yet, but I could easily see it being over a month wait. The wait should not be much different for either the high CRI H600Fc or the standard CRI H600w and H600Fw.

terjee

Enlightened

The H600Fc (no H600c model is listed) are only available for pre-order. I don't know if they have a planned shipping date announced yet, but I could easily see it being over a month wait.

I love my H600Fc, it's great! That's a Mk III though, but it's available right now. For the Mk IV-model, shipping is expected to start on 15th of December.

I don't think the Mk III would be a bad choice, even with the Mk IV coming out, but the price would probably drop once the Mk IV is out.

There are some differences, both with lumens and CRI. I'll be considering upgrading, but the the Mk III will still be an excellent backup, unless it's passed on to family.

Full lineup can be seen here btw:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...s/htmlview?authkey=CNqP6KIC&hl=en&pli=1#gid=0

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
It's not worth putting too much thought into in my opinion, but I'd suggest staying with the regular Eneloop's unless you need the extra runtime. You pay roughly 1-1/2 times as much for 1-1/4 times the capacity, and the higher capacity batteries aren't rated for as long of life or as low self-discharge. And again, you'll have the 18650 light at your disposal, too.

The high CRI neutral white Zebralights have a "C" in the model number instead of a "W".

The AA-powered H53c and H53Fc were released months ago and are available now. The H600Fc (no H600c model is listed) are only available for pre-order. I don't know if they have a planned shipping date announced yet, but I could easily see it being over a month wait. The wait should not be much different for either the high CRI H600Fc or the standard CRI H600w and H600Fw.

Thank you iamlucky13, didn't know that, very helpful.

1) I'll check the spreadsheet terjee posted below, but in general, is there a tradeoff in lumens or runtime for higher CRI? So for example, would the higher CRI H53C trade lumens or runtime for the better color rendition? Is there any downside to higher CRI headlamps?

2) How does the beam pattern on the H53C compare with the beam pattern of the H53W? For hiking, backpacking and running I like a beam pattern with a stronger center hot spot for distance with a flood all around it.

3) How does the beam pattern on the High CRI H600Fc differ from the standard CRI H600w and H600Fw? Is there any tradeoff in lumens or runtime on the H600Fc?

4) I thought of the Eneloop Pro only because Zebralight tested run times for the H53W with the Pros and in general I want the best performance possible for a headlamp that I regularly use in the outdoors, and for short trips generally carry a spare AA. Before the Eneloops, I would use Energizer Lithium and still would use Energizer Lithium in very cold conditions. Do the Eneloop Pros offer cold weather performance close to Energizer Lithiums?

5) Anyone have runtime stats on the H53W on regular AA Eneloop compared to the Eneloop Pro?

Last edited:

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened

I love my H600Fc, it's great! That's a Mk III though, but it's available right now. For the Mk IV-model, shipping is expected to start on 15th of December.

I don't think the Mk III would be a bad choice, even with the Mk IV coming out, but the price would probably drop once the Mk IV is out.

There are some differences, both with lumens and CRI. I'll be considering upgrading, but the the Mk III will still be an excellent backup, unless it's passed on to family.

Full lineup can be seen here btw:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...s/htmlview?authkey=CNqP6KIC&hl=en&pli=1#gid=0

Terjee thank you very much for that spreadsheet! Exactly what I was looking for to navigate all the Zebralight models. Did you throw that together or was it a community effort? Great work.

Do you know what the Mk IV H600 and H53 models will offer that the Mark III models don't? I can easily wait until mid-December.

Are there any tradeoffs for the higher CRI "C" headlamps compared with the neutral "W" models? Appreciate your thoughts on my questions 1-5 above especially on how the C models differ from the W models aside from CRI.

As a cross country skier and winter backpacker I know Norwegians really know their night ski headlamps!

Keitho

Enlightened
Glad you can easily wait, mountainwalker, 'cause the wait is killing me! I've got the 64c on order, because I prefer the slightly warmer tint and higher CRI for outdoor use. The lower output shouldn't be too big of a deal for me, though I am still considering getting the 64w so I can put them head to head to see the real world difference for myself.

Often, the higher CRI and warmer tints produce more heat. The practical consequence for a ZL light will be a stronger step-down in still air, and longer runtimes.

terjee

Enlightened

Terjee thank you very much for that spreadsheet! Exactly what I was looking for to navigate all the Zebralight models. Did you throw that together or was it a community effort? Great work.

It's actually Zebralight official, linked straight off of the front page, with the big red "Compare all models"-button. For some reason a lot of people (myself included) seem to miss the big red button, and only notice the sheet after it's linked to here on CPF. ;-) I guess I've just discounted it assuming it would just link to a page showing all of them or something like that.

Do you know what the Mk IV H600 and H53 models will offer that the Mark III models don't? I can easily wait until mid-December.

The big thing with the new lights coming out is more configurability. With the old version, you have High, Mid and Low, can toggle between H1 and H2 for the High, similar for M1 and M2, and L1 and L2. You can also configure the second level (H2, M2 and L2), but the core fo the UI is fixed; Click will always give you one of the high-modes, holding the button down for a bit will always give you one of the low modes.

With the new lights coming out, you get more freedom in how you program them, so you could have single-click be low for example.

(This might all sounds a bit confusing, but blame that on my explanation, it's actually very intuitive in use. A bit less so with programming, but use feels very natural and intuitive).

There's also some changes in which LEDs are used, but this all depends on the models. The H600Fc for example, goes from 83-85 CRI and up to 93-95, lumens go from 800 to 1568, but tint-deviation also goes from 2 to 3 step (not good).

Personally I don't really feel I need more than 800 lumens from a headlamp, so the major factors for me would be CRI, tint and UI.

The spreadsheet has all the details so you can compare the models pretty efficiently. :)

Are there any tradeoffs for the higher CRI "C" headlamps compared with the neutral "W" models? Appreciate your thoughts on my questions 1-5 above especially on how the C models differ from the W models aside from CRI.

As a rule of thumb with C vs W, C has higher CRI, tends to be a bit warmer (4000k vs. 4500k) and tighter tint-variation, but W tends to offer a bit more lumens. The H600Fc is currently listed as offering more lumens than the H600Fw, but people have been wondering if that's a mistake in the spreadsheet.

As a cross country skier and winter backpacker I know Norwegians really know their night ski headlamps!

Haha, yeah. While I tend to stay indoors during winter, night-time in mountains does bring a certain level of motivation to have quality lights. There's been quite a few time where things would have turned serious quite fast if I didn't have lights, but they saved the day. Darkness coming early during the winter-half of the year adds to this. A lot also try to not just bring what you need for when things go well, but also what you'd need if they don't. IE: If you expect to be home an hour or two before sunset, definitively bring 2 lights pr. person. ;-)

Anyway, I'm no expect (yet?), as I've (so far) stayed clear of common brands like Pretzl and Nitecore for headlamps, so you'll find people here more experienced than me with those.

And the questions above:

1) I'll check the spreadsheet terjee posted below, but in general, is there a tradeoff in lumens or runtime for higher CRI? So for example, would the higher CRI H53C trade lumens or runtime for the better color rendition? Is there any downside to higher CRI headlamps?

You often loose some lumens when you go from W to C, and that's the primary tradeoff. Some also like the 4500k temperature more than 4000k temperature.

While there are exceptions, it seems to me that there is a clear tendency that the more experienced people are, they'll:
- Care less about lumens as long as it's enough (The C usually offers more than enough, so the even more of the W-series isn't an issue).
- Care more about high CRI
- Prefer warmer lights

Or put differently; Newer people tend to prefer W, more experienced tend to prefer C, but that doesn't always make the C better. Each is just picking according to their own preference, and what's right for them at that point in time.

I think my preferences are somewhat typical of those that's been into lights for a while, I prefer the C-type for almost all my uses, but there's an exception for day-time. I almost always use my lights in the dark of night, at home, during travel or in the woods, but if I'm looking into a deep hole in the middle of a clear and sunny day, I would prefer the look of a cooler light. That happens so rarely though, that I'm usually not making purchase decisions based on it.

2) How does the beam pattern on the H53C compare with the beam pattern of the H53W? For hiking, backpacking and running I like a beam pattern with a stronger center hot spot for distance with a flood all around it.

3) How does the beam pattern on the High CRI H600Fc differ from the standard CRI H600w and H600Fw? Is there any tradeoff in lumens or runtime on the H600Fc?

There's definitively people here better able to answer this than I am.

In general though, I'd expect the C vs W to be comparable, I don't think an average user would notice a huge difference without a side-by-side comparison. Better if someone more else fills in the details I think, all of our ZL headlamps are the floody ones.

For the F vs. non-F though, I'd really like to show you this:

http://www.fonarik.org.ua/products_thumb/Zebra_compare_H600Fw-H600w_mk2.jpg

Not my shot, but it illustrates the difference quite well, although maybe a bit exaggerated by the whiteout.

Largely a personal preference, but if at all in doubt, I'd say get the F-version for a headlamp. It'll help avoid "bouncy ball"-effect when running, give better peripheral vision, work better indoors, and in general be a better solution for almost all use-cases (personal opinion though!). If I need something to throw far (inspect path ahead and so on), then I'd much rather use a handheld flashlight as a side-thing.

Often tradeoffs are "A works better for this, B works better for that" and so on, but for headlamp I feel F really is better for almost *my* whole range of uses, from indoors to woody to more open areas.

4) I thought of the Eneloop Pro only because Zebralight tested run times for the H53W with the Pros and in general I want the best performance possible for a headlamp that I regularly use in the outdoors, and for short trips generally carry a spare AA. Before the Eneloops, I would use Energizer Lithium and still would use Energizer Lithium in very cold conditions. Do the Eneloop Pros offer cold weather performance close to Energizer Lithiums?

According to data sheets and marketing material, I'd say that it approaches that of the L91 lithiums, but doesn't quite match it. Check out this for example, and search for temperature:
http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/pdf/99152100_ENG_eneloopCat_2015_LR.pdf

Also this:
http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...en-PANASONIC_MIGNON_AKKU_ENELOOP_PRO__4ER.PDF

Experiences people have shared go a bit either way.

I'd definitively trust Eneloops over Alkaleaks in cold weather, and also over other NiMHs. I'd be fine going out on a cold day with Eneloops in a light, but I'd also definitively bring L91 backup batteries.

Cold weather is somewhat special though, since "everything" can suddenly become harder, especially if it's really cold. Want to actually change to the L91 backups? Can be surprisingly hard if the battery cap is frozen stuck, and your fingers are freezing cold.

Could be an idea to have a backup-light with L91 already in perhaps, or have the backup light in an inner pocket, so it's kept above freezing.

5) Anyone have runtime stats on the H53W on regular AA Eneloop compared to the Eneloop Pro?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can find a pretty good approximation using HKJs battery comparison: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

If you find the battery drain that most closely resembles what you see with the Pro for the level you're interested in, and then compare with the "regular" eneloops, it should give you a pretty decent idea of what to expect.

Personally I tend to always go with 18650 for my primary lights, both headlamp and flashlight. I haven't had any major problems with temperature, but Bergen is a bit warmer than the rest of Norway. It's worth noting that the VTC5A are rated for usage down to -20C for discharge:

http://www.accushop.at/images/products_images/apdf/Sony_US18650VTC5A.pdf

I would expect the performance to be less than at "room temperature" though, but at the same time, at higher output levels, there's a significant amount of heating going on as well.

Please do keep in mind that a bunch of this is influenced by personal preferences, although I do think I'm fairly typical. There's still the issue that I clearly prefer Fc-versions for headlamps for example, while someone else might strongly prefer non-F and colder LEDs.

terjee

Enlightened
Often, the higher CRI and warmer tints produce more heat. The practical consequence for a ZL light will be a stronger step-down in still air, and longer runtimes.

This is a good point!

Flip-side of it also holds true; High mode on a W and C version might have comparable runtimes, but the W putting out more lumens. So downside for the C is that if you reduced the W to a lumen-level comparable to the C, it would probably offer you some more runtime.

The difference isn't large enough for me (runtime of C is enough, and after enough it's not important), but I could see it as a major point for other users, such as ultralight hikers for example.

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened

Thank you Keitho. Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that the higher CRI and warmer tints extra heat will cause the unit to drain faster in still air? How would this bring about longer runtimes except in cold winter air?

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened
Flip-side of it also holds true; High mode on a W and C version might have comparable runtimes, but the W putting out more lumens. So downside for the C is that if you reduced the W to a lumen-level comparable to the C, it would probably offer you some more runtime.

The difference isn't large enough for me (runtime of C is enough, and after enough it's not important), but I could see it as a major point for other users, such as ultralight hikers for example.

How much of a % difference in run times would you expect for running a W at a comparable lumen level to a C? If we are talking single percentage points (say 1-5% more run time), that's negligible, if we are talking double digits (say 20-30% more run time), that's significant.

Are there any good photos out there of Zebralight W versus C with similar beam patterns?

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened

The big thing with the new lights coming out is more configurability. With the old version, you have High, Mid and Low, can toggle between H1 and H2 for the High, similar for M1 and M2, and L1 and L2. You can also configure the second level (H2, M2 and L2), but the core fo the UI is fixed; Click will always give you one of the high-modes, holding the button down for a bit will always give you one of the low modes.

With the new lights coming out, you get more freedom in how you program them, so you could have single-click be low for example.

Personally I don't really feel I need more than 800 lumens from a headlamp, so the major factors for me would be CRI, tint and UI.

As a rule of thumb with C vs W, C has higher CRI, tends to be a bit warmer (4000k vs. 4500k) and tighter tint-variation, but W tends to offer a bit more lumens. The H600Fc is currently listed as offering more lumens than the H600Fw, but people have been wondering if that's a mistake in the spreadsheet.

You often loose some lumens when you go from W to C, and that's the primary tradeoff. Some also like the 4500k temperature more than 4000k temperature.

While there are exceptions, it seems to me that there is a clear tendency that the more experienced people are, they'll:
- Care less about lumens as long as it's enough (The C usually offers more than enough, so the even more of the W-series isn't an issue).
- Care more about high CRI
- Prefer warmer lights

Or put differently; Newer people tend to prefer W, more experienced tend to prefer C, but that doesn't always make the C better. Each is just picking according to their own preference, and what's right for them at that point in time.

I think my preferences are somewhat typical of those that's been into lights for a while, I prefer the C-type for almost all my uses, but there's an exception for day-time. I almost always use my lights in the dark of night, at home, during travel or in the woods, but if I'm looking into a deep hole in the middle of a clear and sunny day, I would prefer the look of a cooler light. That happens so rarely though, that I'm usually not making purchase decisions based on it.

In general though, I'd expect the C vs W to be comparable, I don't think an average user would notice a huge difference without a side-by-side comparison. Better if someone more else fills in the details I think, all of our ZL headlamps are the floody ones.

Tint, UI, beam pattern and run time matter to me. I don't care about max lumens and rarely use the highest settings and if I do it's very brief.

I'm wondering in practice how much of a difference I'd notice for C versus W in the same Zebralight headlamp, such as an H53 or H600. Until I learned from this thread about the H53C I found the H53W sufficiently warm.

A new H53 and H600 with a better UI would be very nice. Especially if I could program it to exactly the modes I use most often in whatever order I wanted.

I generally like the center spot + peripheral flood combo so long as the center spot isn't too small and the flood around it isn't too weak by comparison. There are definitely advantages to both full flood as well as to center spot + peripheral flood.

Keitho

Enlightened
Thank you Keitho. Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that the higher CRI and warmer tints extra heat will cause the unit to drain faster in still air? How would this bring about longer runtimes except in cold winter air?
With my current ZL's, if you set them on high in still air, they will gently step down due to heat. The more efficient (lower CRI, higher color temp) LED will produce less heat, and won't step down as much. So, since they're drawing more current, shorter runtime. That only holds true for lights set to max, which I rarely use on my ZL. The step in brightness down to H2 is small, but my runtimes in cool moving air (bicycle) are much better.

terjee

Enlightened

I'm wondering in practice how much of a difference I'd notice for C versus W in the same Zebralight headlamp, such as an H53 or H600. Until I learned from this thread about the H53C I found the H53W sufficiently warm.

Looking at H1 modes, then
H53c would give you 285 lumens for 0.9 hours, and
H53w would give you 330 lumens for 0.9 hours.
So the runtimes are comparable for H1 modes.

However, looking at lumens instead of modes, you could compare with the highest H2 mode of the H53w instead, which would give you 275 lumens (almost as much as H1 on H53c) for 1.6 hours.

So if we completely ignore heating and stepdown due to heating, the W-version would actually give you significantly longer runtime at 280-ish lumens.

Looking at M1 (medium) though, it's 56 and 65 lumens, both for 8.5 hours, and the difference becomes pretty insignificant.

That's comparing those two specific lights, and it's entirely possible that the picture could look different for the new models. The runtimes of those have not been published yet, and there are completely different LEDs involved, so we can't really conclude based on the past lights.

I generally like the center spot + peripheral flood combo so long as the center spot isn't too small and the flood around it isn't too weak by comparison. There are definitely advantages to both full flood as well as to center spot + peripheral flood.

If in doubt, and you have the budget for it, my recommendation would probably be to get H600Fc Mk IV, and H53Fc for secondary/backup. That gives you choice in fuel, and all around good lights. I have the H600Fc Mk III, and my daughter has the H53Fc, and we're both happy campers. As an added bonus, the H53Fc is available right now, and it's the cheaper of the two lights. That means you could pick that up now, and consider if you're pleased enough to grab the H600Fc Mk III or IV as well. While they are both "c"-lights, they use different LEDs btw.

Despite having the Mk III, I'm actually considering picking up both of those, so I'd get the new UI, higher CRI etc, and have the Mk III as backup/loaner, and the H53Fc for fuel choice and backup/secondary.

The Zebralights are picky in their choice of battery btw, so some care should be taken when selecting cells. For the H53Fc, Eneloops (pro and normal) work great, as should L91s.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
For best power to weight the ZL H600 models win, the light and the battery both only add up to a little over 3oz, -not counting the headband.
For cost, consider the discounted ZL H600Fw MK II if you don't want to pay full price for one of the newest MK IV preorders.

Look at pictures of the different brands discussed here, you can deduce some things about their durability by studying their designs.

Last edited:

Genzod

Banned
As a backpacker/fastpacker, I prefer the ZL H53w, and their 30 day whatever replacement policy, which I used for unsightly cosmetic dings and scratches that were part of sloppy casing manufacturing.

I'm disappointed they dropped lithium ion support for this version (goodbye to the minute of 500 lm turbo used for occasional distant blaze searching), but since I love night hiking and do a lot of it, I've found carrying a backup lamp expedient. I use the throwy Astrolux S1, 10600 cd for blaze searches, and a lower setting in case my headlamp goes out of commission. It still features the rechargeable option through eneloop type batteries which I use for short runs of a day or less. I like lithium primary for mail drop resupply runs. 330 max lumens is still pretty powerful, giving you 0.25 lux at about 69 meters, and twice that at 49 meters. Since blazes tend to have 30-50 meters spacing, that fits the bill. (looking through a spill tube for blazes helps block glare and opens the pupil to collect more light.)

The ZL is lighter than the Tiara, and as a backpacker looking to lighten my load, every gram counts.

I like the spacing of outputs on the ZL compared to the Tiara (about 1.5-1.7X). The outputs fill gaps most other lamps don't offer. With the new UI, you can choose any 6 of the 12 options in any position, and set up three different arrays for different types of use. You just have to learn programming (which might not be for everyone) and the timing of clicks, which can be a little frustrating. But once you do, it's second nature.

ZL is distributed from TX. ArmyTek is in Canada, and they have models that if something goes wrong, you have to send it back to China. I find that disturbing. They have been moving distribution to the Canada warehouse, but last time I checked a few months ago, they still had new models sent from China. I ordered an AT 18650 for my wife, but I relied on a US retailer to alleviate border issues/questions.

If ZL comes out with a new H33w with the CR123A, I would have preferred it. The voltage of the battery is higher than a AA allowing for the 500 lm max output with primary lithium. CR123A primaries aren't expensive in bulk ($1.79 each), which I would buy 20-40 at a time for a thru-hike, and I would use rechargeables at home for night running.

Armytek doesn't give you the option of a clear lens. The beaded lens creates a diffused even distribution. I prefer most of my light going to the trail with spill only for seeing the bear coming at me that has dinner in mind. I find that a 1 inch piece of 3M invisible tape diffuses the light nicely, but I hardly ever do that. Some don't like the tunnel vision a spot generates. I don't have issues with that.

ZL is the rage with backpackers, especially the H5x line. Both section and thru-hikers like the universal availability of AA batteries, and all the moonlight settings are useful when frequenting shelters and settling in.

But if I weren't going to night hike (except in an emergency), I'd probably go with something simple like a super lightweight floody 50 lm headlamp like the petzl e+light, great for tasking (water collection/cooking/reading) and walking to the privy. It's under an ounce with headstrap, and the batteries won't weigh you down either.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't prefer (but also don't hate) the ZL UI as it is too easy for me to jump to the highest mode initially. Personally I prefer the none pro AT headlamps as the UI is simpler. I have the Tiara A1 pro though prefer the Primes A1 not pro UI which is the same as the Tiara A1 not pro.

Prime UI I like better as well

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My zebra has horrible tint. Appears to be a crapshoot with them. All my armyteks are what they say they are.

gogdog

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have any idea/rough guess on when zebralight would update their h53x series headlamps to have mutliple UI groups like the new h600x headlamps do? I would much rather have a headlamp start on low than on high from a single click.
Basically...will they make mkII versions or would I have to wait 2 years or something for a h54x?

Edit: I'm dumb...I now realize the h53 series does have multiple mode groups.

Last edited:

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have any idea/rough guess on when zebralight would update their h53x series headlamps to have mutliple UI groups like the new h600x headlamps do? I would much rather have a headlamp start on low than on high from a single click.
Basically...will they make mkII versions or would I have to wait 2 years or something for a h54x?

Happy holidays and best wishes for 2018.

I generally prefer the higher lumens of the W models over the C models. High CRI is nice for certain applications in daytime, but at night what's the benefit of slightly higher CRI?

1) Anyone try the H600W Mk IV? How is the UI?

2) Is it currently not possible for the H53W UI to start on low? That's my preference if it's available.

3) How is the throw on the H600Fw and H53Fw versus the W version of each? Yes the W versions have a center spot, but in practice do they illuminate the center distance that much better?

Latest posts