New JW Speaker 200mm rectangular LED headlamps

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like there is 3 unit LED on each 8910 or 8900
Does anybody know how many of them are on when low beam is activated?
How many of them are on when high beam is activated?
And how many amp is consumed on low and high beam?

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
The 8900 Evo 2 (non-heated) is dual-burn. They "oopsed" not to mention it on the web page.

Is dual-burn good or bad in an objective test? The 8632 Evolution lights I added to my truck have this feature. When speaking to customer service to check the ship date of my order, they mentioned that they updated my lights to have the dual-burn feature. However, isn't foreground light bad when you are needing to see farther down the road?

This would be a compounded issue for me, since my factory headlights keep the low beams lit when using the hi beams.

This has me wondering if dual-burn is designed to provide warm fuzzies for the driver, or is it beneficial for seeing further? Have I overthought this?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is dual-burn good or bad in an objective test? The 8632 Evolution lights I added to my truck have this feature. When speaking to customer service to check the ship date of my order, they mentioned that they updated my lights to have the dual-burn feature. However, isn't foreground light bad when you are needing to see farther down the road?

This would be a compounded issue for me, since my factory headlights keep the low beams lit when using the hi beams.

This has me wondering if dual-burn is designed to provide warm fuzzies for the driver, or is it beneficial for seeing further? Have I overthought this?

Those are good questions-- on my own cars with halogen headlamps, I'd like to disable the low beam when going to high just because the foreground light can detract from distance vision. However, this isn't quite the same as the foreground light generated by fog lamps, which is too close and too intense compared to what a proper low beam would provide.

Random Guy

Enlightened
I'm not positive on this, but I think the Speaker lamps reduce the intensity of the low beam when the high beams are on, specifically to avoid putting too much light in the foreground.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I'm not positive on this, but I think the Speaker lamps reduce the intensity of the low beam when the high beams are on, specifically to avoid putting too much light in the foreground.

That would be interesting to have confirmed. Frankly, I love the lights. I reeeeally love the color temperature, they are noticeably lower/warmer on the color scale than my factory LED lights. I still need to call around to get them aimed properly, so they are very likely aimed too low (yes, I couldn't resist taking a night run to check them out). That would certainly contribute to foreground light.

I just found the idea of the low beam staying lit with the high beam to be at odds with everything I've read on here. However, I do think they are a fantastic brand that makes top quality products, so maybe you are correct about them reducing the intensity of the low beam when the high beam is selected. Or, maybe there is more to it than that, such as when properly aimed...maybe it's not too much foreground light. It's not my area of expertise.

I do know now that the person I spoke to in customer service said it would be okay for the lights to receive power to the low and high beam circuits at the same time when you want high beams (they had to go confirm it with the engineer). I asked them because my truck keeps the low beams lit with the high beams and I'm using the factory wires to trigger my low and high beams on the Speaker lights (through relays).

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I drive a Jeep ----- I'm never going fast enough that foreground light is a problem....

I contacted my buddy at JWS to try and score a set of the SmartHeat in a 7" round but she's out on maternity leave (congrats, young lady!). Didn't hear back from Jason.

[frowny.face]