New member intro and first question

MX421

Enlightened
Mainly for EDC.

The tailcap style switch seems to work best for me.

I second a Zebralight. Side switches are nice, you should give it a try at least to be sure that a tailcap switch is what works best for you (or what you prefer). When i got into LED flashlights this last time, i got a PD35, then later a PD35 TAC (on clerance). Now, they are back-ups that i hardly use. I now favor my Zebralights, P60 format lights (those are a bit larger and i generally carry using a holster), Olights, and Eagletac lights in that order. I now prefer higher CRI and warmer tints none of which are catered to by Fenix.

If i had to start from scratch, i'd get a headlamp (removeable that can also be an EDC light) first, then a P60 light, and so on. Either way, enjoy whatever you decide on, after all, they are all good lights.

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
I think I should rephase my statement to read "I am more familiar" with tailcap switches. The incoming Emisar D4 will be my first dip into both the side switch and Hi CRI worlds. At this rate, a ZL might sneak into the mis in the near future!

Robert

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I think I should rephase my statement to read "I am more familiar" with tailcap switches. The incoming Emisar D4 will be my first dip into both the side switch and Hi CRI worlds. At this rate, a ZL might sneak into the mis in the near future!

Robert

Just FYI, the Emisar D4 is pretty crazy, I would say the fenix/nitecore/etc are consumer devices and the D4 is an "enthusiast device".

Especially when equipped with low Vf LEDs like the Nichia (which are what I've got) current draw on the 18650 is 15-20Amps.

As far as I am aware, there are no protected cells which will handle this load, the light gets too hot on turbo after 20 seconds so ramps down to a lower mode, which helps the battery not to melt.

If you've not got some already, get some Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC5A or VTC6 cells and you'll be good :twothumbs:

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Just FYI, the Emisar D4 is pretty crazy, I would say the fenix/nitecore/etc are consumer devices and the D4 is an "enthusiast device".

Especially when equipped with low Vf LEDs like the Nichia (which are what I've got) current draw on the 18650 is 15-20Amps.

As far as I am aware, there are no protected cells which will handle this load, the light gets too hot on turbo after 20 seconds so ramps down to a lower mode, which helps the battery not to melt.

If you've not got some already, get some Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC5A or VTC6 cells and you'll be good :twothumbs:
That is the perfect description for a flashlight newbie like me! Kind of like normal BMWs vs the M series or an AMG MBZ vs their standard offerings.

I like enthusiast level equipment. I have a 2kw car audio system consisting of many little known items from the 90's on. Strictly SQ/sound quality oriented though it can thump. Rock(Zed)/Zuki amps, Elemental 13AV.2 sub, OZ Matrix Elite components. Had some Monolithic back in the day!

But I digress. I did order some Efest 3000 mAh Hi Discharge flat top cells from Mountain. Might some of the ones you listed be a better fit? If the Nichia optioned D4 can draw upwards of 20A, do these have enough "headroom" for safe operation, to use an audio term?

Robert

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh you'll have fun with the D4. The high drain batteries will give you blazing light, but not for long. Temperature regulation will take it way down. Regular batteries (unprotected) will work. It is functional in design, therefore beautiful in that way. The tint on my D4TICu is among the best ever seen by me. (Nichia 5000K)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
That is the perfect description for a flashlight newbie like me! Kind of like normal BMWs vs the M series or an AMG MBZ vs their standard offerings.

I like enthusiast level equipment. I have a 2kw car audio system consisting of many little known items from the 90's on. Strictly SQ/sound quality oriented though it can thump. Rock(Zed)/Zuki amps, Elemental 13AV.2 sub, OZ Matrix Elite components. Had some Monolithic back in the day!

But I digress. I did order some Efest 3000 mAh Hi Discharge flat top cells from Mountain. Might some of the ones you listed be a better fit? If the Nichia optioned D4 can draw upwards of 20A, do these have enough "headroom" for safe operation, to use an audio term?

Robert

This looks like a test of those cells, seem to be good. There's not really many 18650 cells with much "headroom", thankfully, the thermal throttling will drop the draw down pretty quickly.

Have a look at this amazing set of 18650 tests with current ratings for an idea of performance.

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Oh you'll have fun with the D4. The high drain batteries will give you blazing light, but not for long. Temperature regulation will take it way down. Regular batteries (unprotected) will work. It is functional in design, therefore beautiful in that way. The tint on my D4TICu is among the best ever seen by me. (Nichia 5000K)
I am excited to get my D4! Are the 5K Nichia the same in both the aluminum and Ti versions? I hope so! I plan on using it on low to low/mid levels mostly. Light Quality, like the sound quality of my car system, is the goal.

This looks like a test of those cells, seem to be good. There's not really many 18650 cells with much "headroom", thankfully, the thermal throttling will drop the draw down pretty quickly.

Have a look at this amazing set of 18650 tests with current ratings for an idea of performance.
So much to see and so much to learn in here! Looks like the Efest perform well. Thanks for the links!

Robert

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
the Fenix PD35 Tac is great but it's too expensive
Mine was not too bad at $58.94, 2 day free shipping via Prime.

I have owned it about 2 weeks. Last I looked, it was up to $68. Checked again tonite, it is $71.95! Not sure why the price fluctuates so much but glad I got in at a good price. Its is a solid, consistent and well made light…at least to me!

Robert

Last edited: