• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Multimeter Fundraiser Sale

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a chance to skim through the posts in this thread. I greatly appreciate the generous donations. However, I am not asking for donations and more importantly I could get in trouble with CPF if I did.

For those that did sent me $$. I truly, deeply appreciates it with all of my heart. Your goodwill means even more than the amount to sent to me. A sincere Thank You to you guys! :)

-------------
As for the sale I just want to mention that the prices won't be as cheap as the other ones but wil still be cheaper than normal prices. I also wont be making a donation to a charity in this sale for obvious reasons. :)

A Fluke does sound interesting. But damn they are not cheap...Which model are you guys recommending?

fluke 87v - last multimeter you will ever buy :)

inetdog

Enlightened
You will probably have better luck using a good shunt with the voltage function of a multimeter, especially with low voltage DC involved.
The resistance of the leads and connectors is just too high and inconsistent, not to mention the problems of passing higher currents through an internal range switch has additional problems.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
You will probably have better luck using a good shunt with the voltage function of a multimeter, especially with low voltage DC involved.
The resistance of the leads and connectors is just too high and inconsistent, not to mention the problems of passing higher currents through an internal range switch has additional problems.

Well I am makign customs leads for sure. Orginal leads are never good.

slow2go

Newly Enlightened
We know you didn't ask for a "donation" !

I just thought will all the expert information that you have provided to us to support our hobby. It would not be a bad for you to have better
equipment to enhance your products that you make available to us.

It's just a way to "Pay Back " all the nice things that you have done for the rest of us. It's like joining "Prime" with Amazon for better service.
You already give s great stuff and excellent service.

And I thank you for it.

Just got a chance to skim through the posts in this thread. I greatly appreciate the generous donations. However, I am not asking for donations and more importantly I could get in trouble with CPF if I did.

For those that did sent me $$. I truly, deeply appreciates it with all of my heart. Your goodwill means even more than the amount to sent to me. A sincere Thank You to you guys! :)

-------------
As for the sale I just want to mention that the prices won't be as cheap as the other ones but wil still be cheaper than normal prices. I also wont be making a donation to a charity in this sale for obvious reasons. :)

A Fluke does sound interesting. But damn they are not cheap...Which model are you guys recommending?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
We know you didn't ask for a "donation" !

I just thought will all the expert information that you have provided to us to support our hobby. It would not be a bad for you to have better
equipment to enhance your products that you make available to us.

It's just a way to "Pay Back " all the nice things that you have done for the rest of us. It's like joining "Prime" with Amazon for better service.
You already give s great stuff and excellent service.

And I thank you for it.

:thumbsup:

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work for Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power, Fluke meters are all we use. We have 1000's of them. They are reliable and last for years when stored properly.

Skavoovie

Newly Enlightened
How much current are you planning on needing to measure, Vinh? Based on your recent mule pulling 16A, are you looking to max out at 20 or 30A? As someone who has needed to measure and log 10~60A DC, it is a pain.

General purpose DMMs seem to start skewing current readings much over 5A with their insertion resistance on battery powered devices that rely on low internal resistance for high current delivery. Even with custom leads. Sadly, I've never found a good de-rating spec for this.

I'd probably go the clamp on DC meter route. You can use nice stout wiring and no shunt to get an accurate measurement where internal battery resistance makes a sizable difference. A Fluke 325 with a 40A range and 10mA resolution looks like it'd work well for you. Extech has some cheaper ones: DC400 and MA220 both do 10mA resolution and they have a bunch of other models with 100mA resolution. Or if you really want to buck up, an Extech 380942 does 30A DC with 1mA resolution (edit: 1mA resolution up to 4A, 10mA above that). Just be careful around magnetic control rings; that'll definitely skew the hall effect sensor.

Another idea is a Watt's Up Ammeter / Watt meter. RC and solar power guys like them. 0-100A with 10mA resolution at a cheap price. The shunt (seems to be a pretty standard 100A, 100mV model) should still be ok with single 18650 hot rods. 1mOhm for the shunt vs. ~40mOhm internal resistance on a Samsung 20R or ~90mOhm on a Keeppower 3400mAh.

Similarly, you could just use a 100A, 100mV shunt with a DMM.

HKJ has used cheap hall effect current sensor ICs as shown here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/CurrentAdapter UK.html It's nicer for logging because you can transform the voltage data en masse with software, instead of trying to convert single DMM readings in your head/with a calculator. Various models mounted on boards are easy to find on eBay or google "robot current sensor". They tend to run in the ~1mOhm range plus board. On some boards, you could beef up the traces with solder.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting reading! Will need to research more :) Thanks!!

How much current are you planning on needing to measure, Vinh? Based on your recent mule pulling 16A, are you looking to max out at 20 or 30A? As someone who has needed to measure and log 10~60A DC, it is a pain.

General purpose DMMs seem to start skewing current readings much over 5A with their insertion resistance on battery powered devices that rely on low internal resistance for high current delivery. Even with custom leads. Sadly, I've never found a good de-rating spec for this.

I'd probably go the clamp on DC meter route. You can use nice stout wiring and no shunt to get an accurate measurement where internal battery resistance makes a sizable difference. A Fluke 325 with a 40A range and 10mA resolution looks like it'd work well for you. Extech has some cheaper ones: DC400 and MA220 both do 10mA resolution and they have a bunch of other models with 100mA resolution. Or if you really want to buck up, an Extech 380942 does 30A DC with 1mA resolution (edit: 1mA resolution up to 4A, 10mA above that). Just be careful around magnetic control rings; that'll definitely skew the hall effect sensor.

Another idea is a Watt's Up Ammeter / Watt meter. RC and solar power guys like them. 0-100A with 10mA resolution at a cheap price. The shunt (seems to be a pretty standard 100A, 100mV model) should still be ok with single 18650 hot rods. 1mOhm for the shunt vs. ~40mOhm internal resistance on a Samsung 20R or ~90mOhm on a Keeppower 3400mAh.

Similarly, you could just use a 100A, 100mV shunt with a DMM.

HKJ has used cheap hall effect current sensor ICs as shown here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/CurrentAdapter%20UK.html It's nicer for logging because you can transform the voltage data en masse with software, instead of trying to convert single DMM readings in your head/with a calculator. Various models mounted on boards are easy to find on eBay or google "robot current sensor". They tend to run in the ~1mOhm range plus board. On some boards, you could beef up the traces with solder.

Just my $0.02.

max2

Newly Enlightened
Could you please clarify which light #12 is. I have searched and can't find it.

"12. Xvn XML2 5000K Dome on copper bonding $115 $125 "