New Nitecore EA41

Wolf359

Enlightened
To me it looks like a sunwayman D40A with an improved switch. I got the D40AW after my EA4W did the switch melting trick and i got messed around with there customer support.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Dr.444

Enlightened
well it wouldn't be as much fun as the F40A!
biggrin.gif

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting upgrade. Nitecore changed the spread of the light range at the lower end, changed 65/135/300 to 1/40/120. I think I like it better this way.

I have to disagree with this. Personally, I'm not a moonlight mode kind of guy. So I can do without a one lumen mode. But I actually LIKE the 300 lumen mode on the EA4. It's good for long night hikes, when you want something fairly bright, but also want significantly more runtime than high. Now you would have to choose between high or 120 lumens.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got used to low modes from my SL ProTac EMS, which had a low of 3.7. It is surprising how often that is enough to look under a table or to the back of the shelf to find things. I have several of the cheap 5mm squeeze keychain lights, and am often surprised at how much they light up the immediate area in the middle of the night.
Don't knock the 120 mode - take your EA4 outside some dark night and see how well the 135 mode lites up things. It does quite a bit.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Nitecore is on fire with their releases lately, all of them look quite competitive in their own niche. The EA41, the chameleon series, the p25, the srt7... All look good to me. Only thing I worry about is build quality of the electronics and springs. I saw some poor results of an srt7 I think, but that might just be incidental.
I also noticed that they keep bringing out lights with the same 40mm bezel size, which is very nice if you happen to own (or plan to own) multiple of these lights and want to share traffic cone, diffusers etc.

I'm not normally a fan of the 4xaa form factor, but this looks good. Any thoughts on standby drain on this one?

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I just checked and it is 20 min for EA41 and 3 min for EA4. So, Nitecore is still lying with that graph of 100% for 1h 45min.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested to see how this new ea "41" compares to the Ea4 XML cool white and ea4 "L2" XML2 cool white offered from illumination supply as a limited run

both the ea4s are nice lights, but seem to have excessive heat sag on turbo mode (loosing around 25% of the lumens within 60 seconds as measured in my sphere)... the eax does not have this problem at all - in fact it actually gains lumens in the first 60 seconds as the light/batteries warm up :rock:

Im interested to see if nitecore improved the heat dissipation in this new model, or if they are just doing an emitter upgrade

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested to see how this new ea "41" compares to the Ea4 XML cool white and ea4 "L2" XML2 cool white offered from illumination supply as a limited run

both the ea4s are nice lights, but seem to have excessive heat sag on turbo mode (loosing around 25% of the lumens within 60 seconds as measured in my sphere)... the eax does not have this problem at all - in fact it actually gains lumens in the first 60 seconds as the light/batteries warm up :rock:

Im interested to see if nitecore improved the heat dissipation in this new model, or if they are just doing an emitter upgrade

ea81c2.jpg

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/20778

yep heat sag caused by very poor thermal interface from LED to body

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately....

Almost identical max output...

If I understand correctly, the EA4 had an XM-L U2, and the EA41 has an XM-L2 T6. From what I know of Cree's binning system, the U2 is supposed to be about 20% brighter than the T6, so maybe this isn't too much of an emitter upgrade after all. I'm going to double-check my measurements, but doubt the EA41 is going to come close to 960 lumens.

BobG

Newly Enlightened

Almost identical max output...

If I understand correctly, the EA4 had an XM-L U2, and the EA41 has an XM-L2 T6. From what I know of Cree's binning system, the U2 is supposed to be about 20% brighter than the T6, so maybe this isn't too much of an emitter upgrade after all. I'm going to double-check my measurements, but doubt the EA41 is going to come close to 960 lumens.

---
Cree bins the XM-L at 25 degrees and the XM-L2 at 85. If I remember correctly the XM-L2 T6 at 25 is something like 318 lumens whereas the XM-L U2 is 300... so you are only looking at 6%... would be interesting how they got 100 lumen bump from 6%