*NEW* Nitecore EC4 & EC4S: (Possible) 2x18650, 2000 Lumens

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to. Now there's the waiting game of batteries first (on Friday) and the flashlight second, on Monday or Tuesday.........next week. :p

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really a fan of the beam profile. It is a wide hotspot, but i found the beam to be a little messy.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
chinese holiday oct 1 to 7! hope it gets shipped out before that.

they seem to have too many holidays in china...

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
chinese holiday oct 1 to 7! hope it gets shipped out before that.

they seem to have too many holidays in china...

When you receive your Nitecore XHP50 EC4S. I hope the beam profile is nice in your unit.

akhyar

Enlightened
Well, luckily Mid Autumn Festival is only 1 week holiday.
Imagine if it is the 2 weeks Lunar New Year holiday.

People in the other forum might try to organize some group buy or what not, so I'll wait first until some final reviews have been published.

markr6

Flashaholic
Great!! May order and have one by Monday!! But, I may wait and see if there are any updates/issues. Not sure...very tempting!

D6859

Enlightened
You have the idea. Every couple of months, drop the batteries into the charger. Besides, if doing S&R, you do carry more than a single set of batteries in the field with you? Myself? If doing S&R, I'd have a backup pair of lights and three or four sets of recently charged, high output batteries with me. Just saying; and if a group leader, my expectations would be the same for everybody else.

I wish you well with this dilemma and looking forward to the release of the EC4S.

(Just now, I found the EC4S on Amazon so I've ordered a copy to play with.)

Of course I will have my EDC with me. At the moment I have M22 and Wizard in my bag and 2 extra batteries. M22 is locked so that it won't turn on accidentally. As I am volunteer in the S&R group, I don't get paid so getting the extra batteries means finding the best offer and ordering them from China and then wait for 5 weeks for them to arrive. Also, I lost my EDC last night, so I may not affor to buy any batteries until I've replaced it. It still feels silly if I have to carry extra set of batteries only because the light is draining the pair in it on its own....

119 euros for EC4S (amazon.de) might not fit my budget. So I think I have to order it from Hong Kong again or wait for the price get lower.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to read about the loss. That's a soul ticker. It seems the price falls after some six weeks. The best of luck on the price.

The best price I can find in higher end batteries is the Panasonic line of 18650 batteries. Maybe somebody else can give you a better suggestion.

It still feels silly if I have to carry extra set of batteries only because the light is draining the pair in it on its own....

I'm a simple person. If the batteries have to come out, the batteries have to come out. If I have to carry two extra sets for the mission, then I have three or four extra sets. Add an extra set of batteries every couple of months. My eye is on the mission. Allow me to encourage this sort of thinking. The best with this issue.

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
Sorry to read about the loss. That's a soul ticker. It seems the price falls after some six weeks. The best of luck on the price.

The best price I can find in higher end batteries is the Panasonic line of 18650 batteries. Maybe somebody else can give you a better suggestion.

Thanks! The problem with Amazon is that many sellers don't deliver to Finland. I ordered 4 protected NCR18650B's for 27$ from AliExpress 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for them to arrive. I ordered Convoy S2+ today to replace the lost TN12. When I get money I'll order TN12 too and that leaves me with 2 extra batteries from the pack. I think they could go into EC4S, when the price is low enough for me to buy it.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EC4S arrived in the mail. It's daylight. Flipping the light on and off in the computer room and comparing the output to the EC4, the light output is definitely more floody. Tonight, I'll make other beam comparisons.

All I can post, the EC4S light is smoother. Other than the "Red Tail," the light's body is the same as the EC4. Right now, I prefer the output of the EC4. I don't have any scientific measuring devices and I'll be hard pressed for beam images. My apologies for the lack of beam images.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inside, the EC4 output is more throw than flood and I like a light with both characteristics. That's not a knock on the EC4S, it's more a personal opinion on the output of the EC4 vs the EC4S.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sun is going down and it's darkened a bit but it's not dark enough. So far, in side-by-side comparisons while both are on high, trying to take the K color of the light out of the mix, the EC4 is a thrower and the EC4S is a smooth floody light.

It's darker now and I added the TM16 into the mix. Each light has it's benefit. The EC4 is a thrower and is an excellent pocket cannon. The EC4S is much more floody and in my opinion, would be an excellent LE light for backyard search and the TM16 is perfect for generalized S&R.

The light of the EC4S comes OTF in a smoother than than the EC4 fashion but because of the EC4S being floody, after a couple hundred feet, it's usefulness falls off. The EC4 picks up at that point but because it's a thrower, the beam falls off at the sides. Each light (EC4, EC4S, TM16) has their own light pattern. In my opinion, no one light is better than the other so regarding the two lights (EC4 & EC4S) it becomes a question of what's your purpose; floody or thrower.

I know I did a squirrely job in my above, so please, be kind.

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
The EC4S arrived in the mail. It's daylight. .....

Congrats on your new EC4S.
Just a quick question. As you also have the EC4 and TM16, have you compare the tint on the EC4S?
Is the supposedly neutral white tint on the EC4S looks warmer to you over your other 2 Nitecores?

cheers,

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint of the EC4S is a bit greenish. Where as the tint of the EC4 and the TM16 looks to me, to be the same; a neutral white.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
By itself, it's okay but when compared side-by-side to the TM16 or the EC4, it's a bit distracting. Sorry if my comment caused you disappointment.

akhyar

Enlightened
By itself, it's okay but when compared side-by-side to the TM16 or the EC4, it's a bit distracting. Sorry if my comment caused you disappointment.

No apologies needed, in fact my sincere thanks to you for your quick reply.
Will wait further for more comprehensive reviews on this light.
cheers,

Latest posts