*NEW* Nitecore EC4 & EC4S: (Possible) 2x18650, 2000 Lumens

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my tastes, at 1100 lm, it does a fine job handling heat but I'm running it five or ten minutes and it's just getting warmed up. On turbo (2150 lm), <70F (<21C), after five or ten minutes, it barely works as a hand warmer. At Mid (400 lm), other than the light itself, you don't know it's on but when one uses candle, coming directly from inside the house (or building) to the outside, due to a lack of night vision, the candle on the EC4S vs candle on the EC4, the EC4S produced light, for me, is useless.

As an everyday house flashlight, I definitely prefer the EC4 but as an outside the building, LE, search light, the smooth floody nature of the EC4S is the way to go. But if doing S&R, I'd rather have the TM16 over the EC4S.

The point, heat is well controlled but, in my opinion, each light (EC4, EC4S, TM16) is it's own light, with it's own purpose. I do hope the above comments help as I'm not any kind of a flashlight reviewer.

Last edited:

picrthis

Enlightened
To my tastes, at 1100 lm, it does a fine job handling heat but I'm running it five or ten minutes and it's just getting warmed up. On turbo (2150 lm), <70F (<21C), after five or ten minutes, it barely works as a hand warmer. At Mid (400 lm), other than the light itself, you don't know it's on but when one uses candle, coming directly from inside the house (or building) to the outside, due to a lack of night vision, the candle on the EC4S vs the EC4 is useless.

As an everyday house flashlight, I definitely prefer the EC4 but as an outside the building, LE, search light, the smooth floody nature of the EC4S is the way to go. But if doing S&R, I'd rather have the TM16 over the EC4S.

The point, heat is well controlled but, in my opinion, each light (EC4, EC4S, TM16) is it's own light, with it's own purpose. I do hope the above comments help as I'm not any kind of a flashlight reviewer.

Just got my EC4S too and I thought your view is spot on with what I'm finding too.

markr6

Flashaholic
Well I just couldn't resist. Purchased an EC4S and it will be here Monday. Parasitic drain is still worrying me, but I've been waiting for this one so long I have to give it a shot.

iso400

Newly Enlightened
I got my EC4S a few days ago. It has a great floody beam with a wide hotspot in a small and soild package, just what I was looking for. Havent noticed any greenish tint.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just asking.....at the same time, did you compare the output of the EC4S against any other light? I noticed the greenish tint when I compared the EC4S with an EC4.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Re: *NEW* Nitecore EC4: 2x18650, 1000 Lumens

Just got mine today and went for a dog walk with it. I could see the greenish tint when on a higher setting aimed almost straight at the pavement. When using aiming forward while walking I couldn't notice it. Came back and compared my Eagletac sx25l3 to the EC4s and the EC4S seems white in comparison. Either way I don't mind because by itself it really is nice for my uses.

Parrot Quack thanks for unknowingly getting me to pull the trigger..lol. A second thanks is in order because I think in the next Amazon order my makes I will try and add in the standard EC4 as well. I should have just listened to the CPF motto "get both".

Amelia

Enlightened

I've been silent on the EC4S initial reviews until now, partly because I've been busy in the outdoors away from the forum, and partly because I've been reading and getting "2nd Opinions" before posting.

I can see now why Nightcore took so long to get this "award winning" light to market... they needed time to ruin it.

The 2 main things I was excited about with this light have been changed - the MT-G2 emitter and the 1 Lumen low. Instead, we get a "greenish" emitter, and the same 2 Lumen low as the P36. Why? To get an extra worthless 150 Lumens at the top-end? I kind of doubt it. I think the real reason is that in its original "award winning" configuration, with the MT-G2 emitter and true moonlight mode, it would completely stomp both the competition as well as Nightcore's own offerings, and would have put a large dent in their other flashlight model's sales.

Very sad... the EC4S was my #1 most anticipated light of the year, the one that I was most excited about buying and trying. Now that it's out in its "improved" form, it is the biggest disappointment of the year for me, and a light I will definitely be passing on.

Oh well... I guess there's still the P36.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

To be positive, there's always the EC4 and the TM16. ??? These two make a great combination.

D6859

Enlightened

Has anyone been able to measure the standby drain?

iso400

Newly Enlightened
Yes you are correct. Compared to the TM16 the EC4s has a slightly green tint when shining on white surfaces,Compared to my CR6 they are almost identical in tint.

markr6

Flashaholic
EC4S: 2x18650 2150lm

I meant to do a quick beamshot comparison and feedback last night on my EC4S but I just got too busy. Without using it so far, the only thing I can say is I'm not a fan of the finish. A simple fingernail scratches it, so I fear this thing can turn into a beater pretty quick. Hopefully the performance makes up for it...

The tint is pretty good. I think I'm to the point of seeing so many nasty neutral white tints (50/50 chance) that a decent cool white is more pleasing than ever. Still nowhere near a good NW tint like my SC5w though. The low (80) and mid (400) modes appear a little green. 1100 and 2150 are a nice crisp white. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Slight artifact in center and ringy when hunting walls, but you really have to looks. Hardly worth mentioning, though. Nowhere as floody as I expected. I think it's a great general beam!

Removing the tail cap is a bit of a pain. And the fact you should remove the cells to prevent drain is really throwing salt in the wound in this case :( I don't even like doing that with an easy few-turns tailcap.

1020lm for about 2hr on my SC600w with 1x18650
1100lm for 15 extra minutes on the EC4S. I like the 2x18650 form, but I would have liked better runtimes for carrying an extra cell.

Since I got ~$20 worth of batteries for free in my package deal, I'll say I picked the light itself up for $75. I think that's a fair price. The $95 MSRP? Not so much.

I like it, but not sure it's a keep just yet. I'll have to do some beamshots tonight.

p.s. I just noticed on the box it says "A CREE XHP50 LED emits penetrating beams with max output of 2150 lumens in neutral white" Very interesting!! I wouldn't call it neutral at all.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EC4S: 2x18650 2150lm

1020lm for about 2hr on my SC600w with 1x18650
1100lm for 15 extra minutes on the EC4S. I like the 2x18650 form, but I would have liked better runtimes for carrying an extra cell.

Without runtimes charts to make the comparison, it is hard to interpret these numbers. It seems likely that the Zebralight SC600w has earlier and/or larger step-downs than the Nitecore EC4S.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened

Question.. at 2000lm how long does it hold before stepping down? and can you repeat 2000lm after spending a few minutes at 1000lm? in other words does it provide turbo for most of the battery life?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, the 1000 lumen mode of the EC4 and EC4s does not step down, while the max lumen output of the high-output zebralights is thermal regulated, so is a gradual step-down. The thermal regulation run-time will be exaggerated as a result.

That sucks to hear about the lack of durability on the finish.

markr6

Flashaholic

This EC4S is badass! Only time will tell about the finish. My mode button is a bit weak...sometimes I click it but if I don't hit it right I had to reclick. Not horrible, but something I noticed.

Quick beamshots:

SC62w (with DIY magenta hi-liter filter)
IMG_3138.jpg

EC4S
IMG_3139.jpg

MX25L3C Nichia
IMG_3140.jpg

SC62w
IMG_3141.jpg

EC4S
IMG_3142.jpg

MX25L3C Nichia
IMG_3143.jpg

SC62w
IMG_3148.jpg

EC4S
IMG_3151.jpg

MX25L3C Nichia
IMG_3152.jpg

I use flashlights outdoors 80% of the time. You can see why I'm a neutral white and/or high CRI Nichia 219B freak. Of course it's nice indoors too, but less of an issue. The EC4S does OK for a dirty, stinky, rotten cool white, though. I'm liking it :)

akhyar

Enlightened

Thanks for the beamshots comparison markr6.
So, 3 users already that mentioned the tint is a bit greenish when compared to other Nitecore's cool white tint.
Was really wishing the the supposed EC4S neutral white is as nice and pleasing as ZL neutral white

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice pics, Mark. Thanks.

2150 lumens looks pretty good!

When it comes to the tints in your last three photographs, I think everyone can see the difference in the greens of your lawn and the browns of your garden bed. Something I noticed in addition is the color of the stones ringing your lawn. For the most part, they should be brown and gray. Take a look. Did the gray ones all turn blue in one of those pictures?!!

Last edited: