• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired NEW! PR-P60 Drop-in Modules - Programmable!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Tint is nice on this cool white version (and does tend towards neutral) although I would still be interested in a true neutral white version. That said, I was worried that it would be too cool for my liking but it's not at all.

I did receive a xpg2 dropin from China last week. While I was not at all happy with the efficiency at 700 to 1000 ma (it just doesn't match the xpg1 in the Fenix hp11 in output, nor the xml's--unless at 350 ma), I was blown away that, while the xpg2 dropin was a cool white, the reds and yellows (as blues and greens) pop even more than the neutral xpg1 or neutral/warm xmls that I own.

The xpg is just the bomb for color rendering (while keeping efficiency), in my book.

I am will keep my eye on Chris' dropin, since it sounds like future driver will have more personal settings, and I am betting more efficient drivers, and more legit binning, than the cheapo China direct dropin.

jorgen

Enlightened
NICE!
Mine arrived today along with the 26650 Host I'd ordered. I barely notice the rings and would not have seen them at all if they were not mentioned by another poster.
The beam on my drop-in is a very pleasing neutral so I guess I won the the Lottery on tint.
Programing could not be easier. I lowered the custom level from 2% to 1% and got rid of the strobe.
For me, the ability to have a really 'low' low and no blinking modes makes this module well worth the price.

jaycyu

Enlightened
Can I ask what the PCB material is?
and
Is it possible for me to send it off to a modder to reflow another type of emitter onto it?
and
What is the timeline for future versions?

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask what the PCB material is?
and
Is it possible for me to send it off to a modder to reflow another type of emitter onto it?
and
What is the timeline for future versions?

The PCB material is FR4 with 4-layers of 2oz copper.

I am sure another modder could reflow another emitter on as long as it has the same footprint. It will just be a little tricky as there is a light sensor next to the emitter. Care must be taken when doing this.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE!
Mine arrived today along with the 26650 Host I'd ordered. I barely notice the rings and would not have seen them at all if they were not mentioned by another poster.
The beam on my drop-in is a very pleasing neutral so I guess I won the the Lottery on tint.
Programing could not be easier. I lowered the custom level from 2% to 1% and got rid of the strobe.
For me, the ability to have a really 'low' low and no blinking modes makes this module well worth the price.

Glad it arrived and works just the way you want it. We like being able to turn those modes on and off since everybody has different tastes.

As for the LED. It is a cool white LED but we picked a very neutral tint. We went this route because these LED's have a little higher output rating since they are cool white but have a very pleasing neutral tint. There will not be any bluish white in these LED's. If there are they messes up on the Reel. :)

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: how do I change modes on this module? Simply by tapping (half-pressing), or do I have to do several tabs to enter mode selection sequence?

With a forward clicky I'd always want to have a particular mode locked on (to prevent accidental mode switching) unless after entering mode change sequence, also to allow me to do manual Morse Code or SOS signals whenever necessary.

We will be able to add the tactical mode in the next revision run.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a very rough estimate of the next run?
1 month?
6 months?
1 year?
6 months would probably be a good rough estimate. If these sell a little quicker then I would have a new revision sooner. If they don't sell then it might take a little longer.

jorgen

Enlightened
This drop-in works perfectly in my Solarforce L2m shorty. I actually prefer the XPG-2, to the XML i was using, for its better throw and longer run time and the 1% custom setting is something I did not have and find very useful.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot to post back. :eek:

The only other thing I have noticed is that sometimes when cycling from to the high or medium modes using momentary, if I latch on (full click) after the memory indication has flashed, the output will sometimes drop down to the next level. This does not always happen and I do not suspect it is the module as it would be recurring constantly. I believe it may be an issue with the switch and will be picking up a new McClicky to swap in to the tailcap (current switch is not a McClicky).

That said I have been using it every night when taking my puppy out for some yard time before bed. It has some nice punch to it and reaches out a good distance (which will also come in handy for going in to work on my early weeks or leaving on my late weeks when it's dark this coming winter). The ability to adjust the custom setting has been icing on the cake. It's nice to know that I can go from a moonlight level to something a little higher if needed. I do use lower levels a lot when navigating the house at night heading out or bringing the puppy back in from a late night bathroom trip.

jorgen

Enlightened
I have been using this module extensively and the only times I have experienced accidental mode changing it is attributable to an accidental soft press. Additionally the tint is the most pleasing of all the xp2 drop-ins I own. I much prefer this XPg2 module over my other brands which incidentally exhibit the same mild ringiness which I find acceptable in use.

Last edited:

Marten

Newly Enlightened
Just to confirm something if I may?
This module is running at 1.5 or 1.7 amp on High? In the introduction, it is stated 1.5 but in Post #6, 1.7 is mentioned...

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
New version of Drop-ins available. Make sure you check out the first post to find all the newest changes.

Brief recap:

• You are able to toggle Mode Memory On or Off
  • New Tactical (Momentary) Mode has been added and can be toggled on or Off (Different switches make tactical work differently)
  • Now there is an advanced tab in the PC version programmer that has four custom Levels (1% - 100%) instead of just Low/Med/Hi/custom.
  • PC Programmer now available as well.

Chris

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
This is a very tempting product. I very nearly bought one, but realized the stats suggested I might not be able to use this with a light running two 3.6 volt 16340 Li-Ion rechargeables. That's 7.2 volts isn't it? Is the upper limit on this drop in a hard limit at 6v?

Looking forward to a reply so I can buy one.

Thanks.

Edit:

I made a mistake. I realized that I only run my 16340s in my single cell lights. I don't own a light that supports over 7.2v, so why would I expect yours to? I plan on using it in a light running a 18650, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello TheTomas,

Just for clarification, these ones are rated for a max of 6v. I am glad it all worked out for you. :)

Chris

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I got my drop in today and, so far, I'm very happy. This idea is genius, and I was slightly doubtful it would actually work in practice. Though I had to turn the brightness on my monitor all the way up, it worked, even when I tried it with the light on high. I'm very impressed. I plan on writing a positive review on a few sites as soon as I get some time.

There are a few things I'd like to mention, however.

The light comes on for two seconds, blinks, then stays on. I soon realized this was the mode being set into memory, but my initial thought was that there was something wrong with the light. The blink actually intelligently solves a UI issue I've had with other lights in the past, which is not knowing how long the light has to be on for the mode to be remembered. This is a great feature, but it should be documented somewhere.

The light programming web interface does not indicate that the light has to be on for programming to occur. In retrospect, it makes sense, as the light can do nothing without power, but if I hadn't remembered that fact mentioned in the pc interface, I'm not sure I'd have figured it out.

Many of the modes available for programming are self explanatory, but a few, especially "Tactical mode" could use some explanation. I've tried it, and still don't know what it does. Perhaps a mouse-over tool tip for each mode would be enough.

Finally, an android version of the programming app would be fantastic. I don't really expect to need to reprogram the light all that often, but it would be neat to be able to use my smart phone to do it. The web site design is actually pretty good, but some lights (at least my Ti one) activates the touch screen and screws with the programming. With a dedicated app, you could lock that portion of the touch screen out during programming and it might work. Screen brightness might still be an issue.

I'm really enjoying playing with this drop in, thanks for the cool product. When I write a review, I'll try to post some links.