New Ra Lights products (Part 6)

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I've got a question or two for you mates :)

1)I have the chance to buy LiFePO4 Tenergy rech. cells, but I'm not sure about their compatibility with Ra Clicky. Are these cells properly recognized and driven by the flashlight?

2)These cells are rated at 750mAh, but how much runtime would they deliver in real life if compared Vs. AW's RCRs?

Thanks in advance

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a question or two for you mates :)

1)I have the chance to buy LiFePO4 Tenergy rech. cells, but I'm not sure about their compatibility with Ra Clicky. Are these cells properly recognized and driven by the flashlight?

2)These cells are rated at 750mAh, but how much runtime would they deliver in real life if compared Vs. AW's RCRs?

Thanks in advance

Personally I don't like Tenergy cells much and the LiFePO4 is probably not the best chemistry for the Ra. I think it will work but just not an optimal chemistry. I'd stick with AW cells. I'd get some cheap DX cells before Tenergy if it's a price issue.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I don't like Tenergy cells much and the LiFePO4 is probably not the best chemistry for the Ra. I think it will work but just not an optimal chemistry. I'd stick with AW cells. I'd get some cheap DX cells before Tenergy if it's a price issue.

:dedhorse:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened

Not a price issue at all.
It was just for sake of knowledge :)
Thanks

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
official word from Henry in Part4 post 344
The [Safe] AW cells... use the rechargeable Li-MnO2 Li-ion chemistry. The rechargeable Li-MnO2 Li-ion chemistry is supported, although it is not listed in the manual. THIS CHEMISTRY SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE Li-MnO2 NON-RECHARGEABLE PRIMARY BATTERY CHEMISTRY. The rechargeable Li-MnO2 Li-ion chemistry roughly follows the conventional lithium-ion battery voltage profiles (4.2V max, 3.7V nominal). However, you should know that you will get less warning at the end-of-life due to this chemistry's lower internal resistance.

We do not support the lithium-ion phosphate battery chemistries because they can mimic either a primary cell or a conventional lithium-ion battery depending on their state of charge. Their nominal voltage is 3.2V. They have a terminal voltage range from 3.6V at full charge down to 2.5V at cut-off. We have not found a reliable way to detect them.

We also do not support the regulated batteries - the ones that start with a lithium-ion battery and regulate the voltage down to 3.0V. There is no reliable way to detect them and the sudden darkness at the end of discharge is not desirable in a flashlight.

Last edited:

mwaldron

Enlightened
Wow! I'd like more lumens on my WW but +20lm for +85USD I think I'll be sticking with my 100 for a while longer.

Too bad it's not 200lm, then I'd have something to do with my extra paycheck this month...

ecallahan

Enlightened
Wonder why the $85 jump over the 100ww? I wonder if it is the same LED as the 100, but just rare to find one that can sustain the 120 lumen burst. I also wonder what the light drops down to on high, as the 100ww drops to 70 lumen I believe. Regardless, I think I'll be sticking with my 100ww.

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
Wonder why the $85 jump over the 100ww? I wonder if it is the same LED as the 100, but just rare to find one that can sustain the 120 lumen burst. I also wonder what the light drops down to on high, as the 100ww drops to 70 lumen I believe. Regardless, I think I'll be sticking with my 100ww.
85lm mayhaps?

Spypro

Enlightened
I got an EDCE and I'm wondering how much time an AW RCR123 would last at 0.08 lumen.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I got an EDCE and I'm wondering how much time an AW RCR123 would last at 0.08 lumen.

It will last a LONG time not sure if anyone has done it yet with his new clicky but i ran one of my older HDS light for 40+ days at that setting.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread for a Ra Lights problem/question posting....

My Ra 140C has been serviced by Henry once before for a dead/shorted emitter, so I think it has had a firmware update, but perhaps not the very latest set of changes.

Has anyone else had this problem before -- the light will suddenly drains a IMR16340 cell with no warning, even when the light is shutoff? Two or three days of riding in my pocket and the cell is dead, down to < 1.0 volts. This has happened twice now with two different IMR16340 cells. I'm testing it again now with a Surefire primary 123 to see if that makes any difference.

Yes, I have the auto-shutoff enabled, so I really don't think the light is accidentally being turned on in my pocket and being left on for extended periods of time. For the Primary cell test, my 140C is sitting untouched on my desk to see if it also drains the cell dead after a few days. I also always make sure my light is left in the lowest lumen mode (triple-click from on), before I shut it off, and my 140C is programmed to start up in which ever mode it was shut-off in.

I should also add this is fairly new behavior as I've been using IMR16340 cells in my 140C since the beginning with no noticeable problems.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it is the same LED as the 100, but just rare to find one that can sustain the 120 lumen burst. I also wonder what the light drops down to on high, as the 100ww drops to 70 lumen I believe. Regardless, I think I'll be sticking with my 100ww.

I am pretty certain that it uses the same levels as the EDC Executives with a burst of 120 on level 22 and 85 lumens as the step-down level. My guess is that there are enough of the higher performing warm LED's to add it as an option but not enough to make it a regular production item... kind of like the 170's.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tpchan, what is a IMR16340 battery?? Never heard of one!! Thanks!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that info, nice to know of another type battery I can now use!!

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in purchasing a RA light. With the *nice* Ti version that Henry has developed does anyone know what options he might be planning in the future w/ his product line? Or is the news hush hush?:candle:

Bucky

Enlightened
I am interested in purchasing a RA light. With the *nice* Ti version that Henry has developed does anyone know what options he might be planning in the future w/ his product line? Or is the news hush hush?:candle:

I think you answered your own question.;)