[New][Review] Nitecore TUP - 1000 lumen keychain light

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really excited about this little light it has some cool features it's something different at least, I have one on the way from nitecore store.

Last edited:

unsound

Newly Enlightened
Could you measure the true lumen output of TUP? I doubt the max output will be the 1000 lumen, probably around 700 lumen, since the Surefire Firepak output 1500 lumen with two XM-L2 which has similar max out put as XP-L in the data sheet.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light, but for me, too large to be considered "keychain." The TIP is about as large as I'd like for a keychain light, but accidental "on" continues to be a HUGE problem for the TIP and the TINI. The discontinued Photon Rex had optimum functionality for me, although if it remained available in today's market, it would need increased output.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light, but for me, too large to be considered "keychain." The TIP is about as large as I'd like for a keychain light, but accidental "on" continues to be a HUGE problem for the TIP and the TINI. The discontinued Photon Rex had optimum functionality for me, although if it remained available in today's market, it would need increased output.
If you didn't order the Tip 2017, which comes with a clip that can be used to cover the switches when not in use, the Nitecore Store sells replacements. I admit it makes it a little more complicated to use the light, but it does protect from accidental activation. I had one break in my pocket, so I ordered a replacement and an extra.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timothy: Thanks for the reply. I have several different versions of the TIP, including the original, the 2016 and the 2017 10th anniversary edition. I want/need instant access to the light, so the clip renders it "useless" for me. What surprised me about the 2017 anniversary edition is that the turbo output is "momentary"--I gave the lights away. That's one of the problems I have with the TINI: turbo output only when being actively pressed. The other problem with the TINI, which I didn't think would be a major drawback, but turned out to be huge, is the delayed "on." Three seconds seems like an eternity when you need the light NOW. Still, they're nice lights, but could be great, with a bit of tweaking...

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
That OLED display is a real draw... and with current discounts, it's very tempting to get this light. But... I find older Micro USB port to be a deal breaker. USB-C should be replacing it by now. Seems like there are a number of kinks to work out in the design.

The buttons are indeed quite easy to press - I had to lock out the light while it was in my pocket to prevent it from being activated.
I don't like the fact that for pocket carry, locking out is pretty much mandatory if you want to avoid accidental activation. Maybe an improved version will come out sometime later next year...

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
That OLED display is a real draw... and with current discounts, it's very tempting to get this light. But... I find older Micro USB port to be a deal breaker. USB-C should be replacing it by now. Seems like there are a number of kinks to work out in the design.

I don't like the fact that for pocket carry, locking out is pretty much mandatory if you want to avoid accidental activation. Maybe an improved version will come out sometime later next year...
You can lockout in mode one, where you still have momentary turbo, but I can see why you'd rather have harder to press buttons.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I hope the lockout is more reliable than the TIP lockout, which periodically fails me in my pocket. Thankfully at ~2 watts the TIP isn't likely to cause the kinds of problems that the TUP could at >5 watts.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
I hope the lockout is more reliable than the TIP lockout, which periodically fails me in my pocket. Thankfully at ~2 watts the TIP isn't likely to cause the kinds of problems that the TUP could at >5 watts.

The lockout on the TUP is light-years better than the one TIP has. There is no chance it can be accidentally activated.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Nitecore TIP. Really like it. I can see what you mean about accidental activation, as the press-hold time is a little short. Would probably be better set at 2 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
The lockout on the TUP is light-years better than the one TIP has. There is no chance it can be accidentally activated.
That's good to hear... I've had so many accidental activations, even one where a woman stopped me in the street and told me a light was on in my pocket. :ohgeez:

The TUP does have some interesting features like the OLED display, output levels and better UI. But, I have say that the form factor is a bit large for my liking. I think I will wait to see what the TUP 2.0 looks like.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I just got one. Looked like a unique design, so why not.

I think it's a bit large for keychain, plus with a screen that is out of the question for me. It would scratch too easily. I wish they just ditched the bottom hook so it could stand. Just a tad too big for keys but YMMV.

Nice light otherwise, wish it had more grip but definitely a unique little pocket light.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I just got one. Looked like a unique design, so why not.

I think it's a bit large for keychain, plus with a screen that is out of the question for me. It would scratch too easily. I wish they just ditched the bottom hook so it could stand. Just a tad too big for keys but YMMV.

Nice light otherwise, wish it had more grip but definitely a unique little pocket light.
For what it's worth I haven't scratched the screen yet, but YMMV. If you're set on never using it, I don't see anything stopping you from cutting off the key hook so it could tail stand.

PartyPete

Enlightened
For what it's worth I haven't scratched the screen yet, but YMMV. If you're set on never using it, I don't see anything stopping you from cutting off the key hook so it could tail stand.
I was a bit surprised, when I got mine it came in a sealed box yet no plastic film over the screen and already had a few minor scuffs. Nothing major enough for me to exchange it, but I guess perhaps the first few batches didn't ship with any type of screen film.

I may just end up hacking the ring off, good idea.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I was a bit surprised, when I got mine it came in a sealed box yet no plastic film over the screen and already had a few minor scuffs. Nothing major enough for me to exchange it, but I guess perhaps the first few batches didn't ship with any type of screen film.

I may just end up hacking the ring off, good idea.
Are you sure about that? Mine was a prototype and it did have some plastic, but it didn't show - I only realized a few days later.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given some of the contentious design choices on this light, I wonder how well it will sell. Might end up with some serious discounts in the next 6 months.