new set screw tool for Mag D switch

The_Police

Enlightened
I have also ran into this same problem. It was very irritating to find out I can't disassemble my lights when my mod parts all showed up.

Now I can't follow through with my Mag projects until I get inside them, so this thread has gotten me tempted to buy a batch of T8 torx "L" wrenches and stick them in the lathe and turn them down to size to fit in the Mag's switch. If there was enough interest in this I would be willing to do that and sell them at a reasonable price.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a new switch assembly. They come with both wrentches and a switch. I paid $10 for mine

PJ

Enlightened
I stopped at Casler Hardware in Jackson, MI., a Maglite repair center, and talked to the guy that repairs the lights. He told me that Mag sent him a tool for the new switches which is a T8 wrench with a screwdriver handle. He said as far as he knows if a customer buys the switch assembly it has both wrenches but if he orders them as a repair facility they don't have the wrenches.

www.caslerhardware.com is their website. They sell parts and have reasonable shipping rates. ( I ordered some switch covers a few months back.)

Some warranty centers are now authorized to repair the LED lights so you may not have to ship them to California for repair.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch - disassembled Maglite switch

Just buy a new switch assembly. They come with both wrentches and a switch.

I hope you will all excuse this necro-bump. I ended up with a Maglite (D+serial number) that I needed a switch for. I ordered one online, and it arrived without the needed wrench. Aargh. I did not want to send the flashlight to those M-folks just to have them install it, so after looking for, and failing to find, a T8 Torx driver with a thin enough shaft, I ended up at a great local hardware store, where the head tinkerer and I ended up sort of unintentionally popping the whole thing apart in an attempt to get at that infernal set screw. Now it is completely disassembled. It was worth it just to be able to replace the new set screw with the older allen wrench type set screw. I have a mixed history of putting (even simple) things back together, but I think that I will probably eventually manage. Getting the long thin metal strip back in will probably prove the most challenging part. Anyway, as long as the switch is completely in pieces, I thought that some of you might find the following photos useful, since I have never found an exploded diagram of a switch online. FYI, I had an older D-cell switch that would not fit in my D-serial number body, because the older switch was too big in diameter. The body tube has a slightly narrower outer diameter, as well.
2m6acP4.jpg
WpbcDTr.jpg
ve4NO0C.jpg
zPJpOKS.jpg

[EDIT]

Oops. Didn't realize that there were more parts than I was aware of. As I was manhandling the assembly, getting ready to reassemble it, another sub-assembly fell out.

g33SghZ.jpg

Here is what the main assembly looks like now. I am not taking anything else out, as it is not necessary for replacing the set screw.

LoNPC19.jpg

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the ones that come with the Mag replacement switches, anyone find a source for these torx keys?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when news of the changed set-screw came out, I found a suitable torx in the form of a long, skinny screwdriver at a local hobby shop. Possibly Wiha. I'll find it and verify.

stingray230sx

Newly Enlightened
just found and read all 9 pages of this thread, as I have a "D" serial number 3 cell light that had been on the desk for a while, picked it up and while it was still working decided to pull the batteries.
Welp, batteries wont come out, so down the disassembly rabbit hole I went, and I see I need a slim t8 torx driver[amongst all my tools, nothing even close], as I had soon discovered the youtube vids recommendation of 2mm or 5/64 were a no go.
So after I locate a t8 and grind it down, what the easy way to remove the snap ring that prevents the switch assembly from coming out the top? since I cant remove the batteries to take out the bottom :-(

thanks

douglas hunt

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
just found and read all 9 pages of this thread, as I have a "D" serial number 3 cell light that had been on the desk for a while, picked it up and while it was still working decided to pull the batteries.
Welp, batteries wont come out, so down the disassembly rabbit hole I went, and I see I need a slim t8 torx driver[amongst all my tools, nothing even close], as I had soon discovered the youtube vids recommendation of 2mm or 5/64 were a no go.
So after I locate a t8 and grind it down, what the easy way to remove the snap ring that prevents the switch assembly from coming out the top? since I cant remove the batteries to take out the bottom :-(

thanks

douglas hunt
Use a small flat blade screwdriver and catch the end of the snap ring and turn and lift it out of the grove.

stingray230sx

Newly Enlightened
So, I need a new switch, my D cell Mag light is a "D" serial number.

this one: https://www.amazon.com/MagLite-D-Cell-Switch-Assembly-108-000-208/dp/B00A1BIVD6?tag=cpf0b6-20

or this one: https://www.amazon.com/MagLite-flashlight-Replacement-Switch-Assembly/dp/B084VQ9P2W?tag=cpf0b6-20
this one says for D serial number lights, when I asked to be sure, different responses, but no tool to remove, however the seller says leave a note when ordering and they will put the tool in.

thanks
douglas hunt