New XM-L driver on DX, anyone getting one?

Breikin

Newly Enlightened
i just ordered this driver to use it with one xml ... one question remains: does it need a heatsink? if yes, where should the heatsink connect to the driver? thanks!

I also wondering where do you guys attach the heatsink ?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wondering where do you guys attach the heatsink ?

I have yet to use a heat sink or have heat related issues with this driver.

Another thing I have yet to do is connect to in parallel and run them at double current....yet

langham

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the information on this post it has really helped me out. I have had trouble finding a good 8.4+V driver that will drive at 2.7-3.0A consistently, but this one seems to work. I have planned a project that will use this driver and 2*18650 host with only a single mode. Do any of you know if this will eliminate the low voltage shut off? Does the 1kohm resistor act as a termination point in the circuit? I was also wondering if I could take let's say a SKU: 127684 from DX and add a transistor to it and use it as a 7.2-8.4V driver, and if so can one of you with a little more experience explain how this works (not only a picture saying solder from here to here but what it does to the circuit). I have one of these and like that the pwm is at a high enough frequency that you can not tell that it is pulsating, and it has many options including a high100% and low 5%.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I'm not aware that 57779 has a low voltage warning, although if it did, I assume you'd have bypassed it when bypassing the modes.

On a side note, I needed to replace the driver in a two cell, single XML light that didn't have room for the height of 57779 or the width of 20330. I tried 106805, which was the only high current (2A) two cell driver I could find that was short enough and narrow enough. To my surprise, out of the envelope it put out 2.3A on high (unusual that anything from DX operates over spec) , measured with a clamp meter. After adding a 0.47 ohm sense resistor, it now puts out 2.7A on high and draws 1.33A from two IMR cells. I haven't run it on high for more than a few minutes yet, so buyer beware. My only complaint is the mode order: Mid-Low-High-Strobe-SOS, and the mode memory: if off less than 60sec, it will turn on in the next mode. I haven't tried it with more that 8.4V in or with more than one LED.

langham

Enlightened
I am having trouble with this mod. I did what the first picture showed and I wound up getting battery voltage to the led. Any reason the voltage regulation wouldn't work?

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I recently got this driver to try to run my mag mod 4x xm-l units but the thing is heating up way to fast. I see around 2.5 amps going to my LEDs. I am thinking about changing the diodes out with one I can heat sink off. Any idea if the two diodes are just in parallel or serve a separate purpose?

langham

Enlightened
If you look further up in this thread you will notice that the efficiency does not really allow for 4*XML, instead you should use a different driver or use 2. I am having difficulty with mine still. Maybe it is explained on the picture which was removed due to size, would anyone mind posting that picture or a similar one up again, thanks.

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
If you look further up in this thread you will notice that the efficiency does not really allow for 4*XML, instead you should use a different driver or use 2. I am having difficulty with mine still. Maybe it is explained on the picture which was removed due to size, would anyone mind posting that picture or a similar one up again, thanks.

Well according to my testing the only thing on the board that was overheating was the two diodes and that was causing the board to reach crazy temperatures causing problems, my two diodes should show up today and hopefully I'll test it out and have it running to give an update. According to that chart the efficiencies kept improving each time he added an emitter. Really if I can get around 85% efficiency I am pretty happy, especially for a cost of 8 bucks.

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty diodes came in and got it all soldered up! It turns out it was worth my time everything is working smoothly and since my two diodes are to220 it doesn't seem they will even need to be heat sinked. The board gets warm but in no way hot now. I also went carefully through with the multimeters and variable power supply to gather some new numbers.

Again this is the newer single board unit that Deal Extreme now ships with D1 and D2 replaced with to-220 case diodes 10a:

drivereff.jpg

I like these numbers a lot! The diodes were $1.61 from digikey: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/STPS10L25D/497-2738-5-ND/603763

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
I am done with these Ithink, I have also been reading another forum where they go far more in depthon the design and use; and it seems to me that they are a hit or miss. Theconcept is great, but they just seem too cheaply produced to trust to a $12 led.I like them even with 3 modes because the low mode is pretty good, but thestrobe isn't quite fast enough and the PWM is just too slow. They are also toolarge for most applications, so I would have to already have the lights in handin order to be sure that one of these would do well in the application. I haveused them in a single XML application and had good success for a short periodbut the led stopped one day and I blamed myself for perhaps hitting the ledwith something, but I have found that these are much more resilient than that.I had an XML-T6 come loose from the board that it was mounted on (due mainly tothe fact that it seemed like they didn't even solder it in place, maybe somekind of conductive paste) I just let it sit around. Over 1 year later afterdoing a stent in my tire well in the trunk of my car and after being stuck inmy soldering kit for a month or two; I decided I would try soldering it to acopper board that I had sitting around, astonishingly it still worked.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, as the input voltage and output voltage neared each other I did have better efficiency , but if you notice the board temps, they kept getting higher too. At the time I tested it, I was more concerned with the inductor getting hot, but the diodes were very warm too. I was measuring with an infrared thermometer and I don't recall exactly the hottest spot. There is going to be a break over point where efficiency starts dropping again, it will be interesting to find out what it is.

DimitrisV

Newly Enlightened
Hi

It semms that the drivers are sold out in DX
Is there any other alternative 1 mode 3A cheap

Thanks
dvel

langham

Enlightened
Try SKU: 128269 it seems to be the same to me from the pictures, and by the way people are talking they have been sending these for a while instead of the one originally listed in this thread.

DimitrisV

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

The SKU 57779 is temporarily sold out.
Is there any other alternative 1mode 3A cheap driver ?

Thanks
Dimitris