NEW XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus analyzing charger

Collins

Newly Enlightened
I'll be getting this. Had been looking for my first charger as I plan on getting an 18650 headlamp. Been wanting 4 bay that can charge at 1A. And didn't want the Opus that had a noisy fan. And so was stuck with looking at the no-name Lakita or something. Was hoping Xtar would come out with a 4-bay 1A charger, and here it is.

It will probably be the only charger I have to get as I'd only need it for 18650 batteries and to maybe charge some AA NIMH a couple times a year for my game controllers.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 3 times the price of the Opus BT-C3100 with little if any real added value, I suspect they won't sell many units (esp. not to buyers who value price/performance ratios).

What value does this add over existing analyzing-chargers-for-novices such as the Opus Or Liitokala? The only thing I see at first glance is possibly a 4-wire IR test (as we discussed before, the Xtar capacity guessing is mostly useless - pure marketing fluff).

stephenk

Enlightened
At 3 times the price of the Opus BT-C3100 with little if any real added value, I suspect they won't sell many units (esp. not to buyers who value price/performance ratios).

What value does this add over existing analyzing-chargers-for-novices such as the Opus Or Liitokala? The only thing I see at first glance is possibly a 4-wire IR test (as we discussed before, the Xtar capacity guessing is mostly useless - pure marketing fluff).
Based on existing XTAR chargers, reliability and accuracy is likely to the advantage of the XTAR compared to the Liitokala and Opus.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on existing XTAR chargers, reliability and accuracy is likely to the advantage of the XTAR compared to the Liitokala and Opus.

That's not consistent with reports here and elsewhere. For example, there are many reports of XTAR charges melting down, but I don't recall even a single such incident for the Opus or Liitokala's. Further, both offer far better price/performance than the XTAR.

In any case I encourage educated buyers to do some research before biting hook-line-and-sinker into the XTAR marketing fluff.

Enlightened
That's not consistent with reports here and elsewhere. For example, there are many reports of XTAR charges melting down, but I don't recall even a single such incident for the Opus or Liitokala's. Further, both offer far better price/performance than the XTAR. In any case I encourage educated buyers to do some research before biting hook-line-and-sinker into the XTAR marketing fluff.
I'm not certain of what that one post is supposed to show nor do I agree with your conclusions in that other thread. If it has parts in it, they might be bad (or poor) out of the box and on long enough time scales even "good" parts will fail, no matter the brand.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not certain of what that one post is supposed to show nor do I agree with your conclusions in that other thread. If it has parts in it, they might be bad (or poor) out of the box and on long enough time scales even "good" parts will fail, no matter the brand.

The facts are that numerous XTAR charges have been reported to meltdown, but not a single Opus or Liitokala has. You cannot disagree with facts.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
The facts are that numerous XTAR charges have been reported to meltdown, but not a single Opus or Liitokala has. You cannot disagree with facts.
Some people say that facts are more easily verified when directly referenced. :p

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people say that facts are more easily verified when directly referenced. :p

The cited facts were linked a few posts prior. There are also numerous other reports of problems with XTAR chargers. Based on the reports here and elsewhere I see no evidence at all to support claims that XTAR are more reliable or higher quality than other analyzing chargers (Opus and Liitokala). Not to mention that the price is 4 to 5 times the Liitokala Lii-500 ($15 w/o AC adapter, $20 with, including shipping). Where is the extra money being spent? Apparently not on better design or QC. Probably on flashy, fluffy marketing.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cited facts were linked a few posts prior. There are also numerous other reports of problems with XTAR chargers. Based on the reports here and elsewhere I see no evidence at all to support claims that XTAR are more reliable or higher quality than other analyzing chargers (Opus and Liitokala). Not to mention that the price is 4 to 5 times the Liitokala Lii-500 ($15 w/o AC adapter, $20 with, including shipping). Where is the extra money being spent? Apparently not on better design or QC. Probably on flashy, fluffy marketing.

Come on bro, you cite one thread where seemingly a 'few' people had a specific model melt down and one guy's VP2 glitched. That's like bitchin' at McDonalds for having a batch of bad burgers. Look at all the Xtar chargers that people have on this obscure flashlight site and you'll see that the percentage of failures is statistically quite low.

Hell, look at all the Opus 3100/3400 owners who had their fan crap out on them? My BT-3400 came with a faulty 3A wall wart that wouldn't do 4x1A charging. I got it sorted out, but it took a while to get a new one in. Thank God 'rdana' is in Sacramento and not Malaysia.

I do agree with you that some Xtar chargers have had problems. I've got their WP2 II, MP1S, VP2, XP1, MC1+ and VC4. My VP2 was from the first batch and got recalled for brittle plastic used in the housing. My MP1S seems to consistently undercharge (4.14-4.16v,) but that's close to being in spec, I'm told. My VC4 with an OEM Apple 2.4A wall wart doesn't often charge at 4x500mA, nor at 2x1A, but it has, so good luck with that and I've had two of those.

I've now got four Liitokala chargers coming (2x100s, 2x202s,) so I'll get to fiddle with that brand for a bit.

I've read this forum for over four years and I read a lot and what you're claiming isn't what I find from my readings. Hell, the NiteCore i4 v.2 has more negative posts about it than all of Xtar chargers combined and I own one of them as well. Good charger IME, if not a bit slow like my VC4.

Chris

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Come on bro, you cite one thread where seemingly a 'few' people had a specific model melt down and one guy's VP2 glitched. That's like bitchin' at McDonalds for having a batch of bad burgers. Look at all the Xtar chargers that people have on this obscure flashlight site and you'll see that the percentage of failures is statistically quite low.

Yes. End of story IMO.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on bro, you cite one thread ...

The point is quite simple. All of these consumer-level chargers have issues. XTAR is no better than the others. I gave citations to hard facts backing up my claims. Those claiming higher quality / reliability have not.

My advice to potential buyers is to do some research here and on BLF before paying 5x the price of other competent analyzing chargers. The price is a major ripoff. For slightly more one can get a SkYRC MC3000 with infinitely more features, or a few Lii-500 + BT-C3100s. Either way you get much better price / performance.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is quite simple. All of these consumer-level chargers have issues. XTAR is no better than the others. I gave citations to hard facts backing up my claims. Those claiming higher quality / reliability have not.

My advice to potential buyers is to do some research here and on BLF before paying 5x the price of other competent analyzing chargers. The price is a major ripoff. For slightly more one can get a SkYRC MC3000 with infinitely more features, or a few Lii-500 + BT-C3100s. Either way you get much better price / performance.

Thank you Captain Obvious. All consumer products have issues. SureFire lights break down and break down often, My ST. DuPont lighter had to go in for repairs after a couple of years, I've had two vaunted Japanese trucks whose engines crapped out on me before 100,000 miles and don't get me started on high end CD players.

Xtar makes some chargers that die on us.

You didn't give a citation to any hard facts, or anything of statistical relevance. You gave a link to a thread where anecdotal experiences are shared, is all.

If you want empirical data of some sort, you need to know the MTBF rates for any given brand/model and I doubt Nitecore, Liitokala and/or Xtar are going to provide you with that info, so you're just guessing.

Most of Xtar's chargers are safe and well designed according to HKJ's (and others' basic testing.) Whether this Panther is worth buying over the SkyRC MC3000, Liitokala 500, or Opus 3100/3400 chargers is up to the individual, but it's seemingly not worth it to me. However, that doesn't mean it isn't worth it to somebody else. See how that works?

But your comments that I replied to really aren't about the VP4 Panther, but rather you seem to be castigating all of Xtar's offerings, with very little hard evidence to back up your opinion. That's fine and dandy, but let's not pretend that you're the final arbiter on what's really up with any of this stuff.

Chris

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want empirical data of some sort, you need to know the MTBF rates for any given brand/model and I doubt Nitecore, Liitokala and/or Xtar are going to provide you with that info, so you're just guessing is

You seem to be missing my point - which was merely to provide some data to refute an unfounded claim that XTAR chargers have higher reliability or quality than competing analyzing chargers (in attempt to justify their 4-5x cost). I have no interest in getting involved in nonconstructive fanboy-type arguments about various chargers.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to be missing my point - which was merely to provide some data to refute an unfounded claim that XTAR chargers have higher reliability or quality than competing analyzing chargers (in attempt to justify their 4-5x cost). I have no interest in getting involved in nonconstructive fanboy-type arguments about various chargers.

Go back and read the 115 posts in this thread and show me where a preponderance of the three dozen, or so, posters claim that Xtar has better quality, or is even a better deal than chargers like the Opus, Liitokala 500, or SkyRC MC3000?

A couple of the posters have mentioned 'Xtar quality and value,' but they're hardly stating that they're better chargers than others on the market. In 'FACT,' many of those posts contain bona fide 'nits to pick' regarding Xtar chargers.

You have a preconceived bias against Xtar, for some reason, IMO and you're trying to justify that bias by harping on people's non-existent, but dogged belief that Xtar can do no wrong.

You should probably stop, before you dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Chris

Greta

Flashaholic
Oh FFS - enough... :shakehead - A bunch of cats peeing on each other and everyone ends up stinking. Knock it off children... seriously.

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
The only thing selling me on this charger is the ability to test cell resistance. Are there any other chargers that can do this?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing selling me on this charger is the ability to test cell resistance. Are there any other chargers that can do this?

Among others, the SkyRC MC3000, the Opus BT-3100/3400 and the Liitokala 500 Engineer chargers will all give 'rudimentary IR' numbers, which may, or may not be helpful.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
Oh FFS - enough... :shakehead - A bunch of cats peeing on each other and everyone ends up stinking. Knock it off children... seriously.

LOL!!!! I had to google FFS :)

I like the Opus 3100. Most of my 18650 cells show around 80-110. Newer cells around 50-60. An older protected Eagletac 18650 I used to keep in my (hot and cold) car jumped up to well over 200! That's no surprise with the abuse it took. So it's proven quite useful to me; I trust it.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Opus 3100. Most of my 18650 cells show around 80-110. Newer cells around 50-60. An older protected Eagletac 18650 I used to keep in my (hold and cold) car jumped up to well over 200! That's no surprise with the abuse it took. So it's proven quite useful to me; I trust it.

If the probes on the Dragon implement a 4-wire IR test and it works well, then that may give it an advantage over the 2-wire IR tests on other analyzing chargers. This could prove to be a selling point for those (power?) users who heavily exploit IR to track cell health.