New Zebralight H31

Curias

Newly Enlightened
My H31 does not have any holes in the center of the hotspot either. I think it has a great beam profile, maybe perfect for the intended purpose. It's a tiny bit greenish, but puts out a very good amount of light on medium for how long it runs.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some more beamshots, Please.

As per your request Sir!....:laughing:
If it wasn't wet out the beamshots would look better.
As you can see the H31W has a tighter hot-spot at distance compared to the larger, brighter XP-G.

H31- XP-G
017-24.jpg

H31W- XP-E
018-21.jpg

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody sees a dark spot? Well, I surely see it, perhaps I should try if I really can't take beamshots with my crappy diggy! For the eyes it is difficult to judge what it really is, it looks like a yellowish-greenish tinted center, at a closer look, which is not easy because of the brightness, I think that it's simply not-so-bright in the center of the hotspot than around it.

If you own a Quark Turbo, you know what I mean, it has about the same hotspot profile, 4Sevens blamed it on an SMO reflector with an XP-G.

I don't think that it is a problem here, I even thought they wanted it to do that way, to not get it too bright in the center...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk Lu,

I think it may be possible that your H31 is different from others lights.

Mine certainly doesn't have the same beam you describe. The H31 I have has a nice evenly bright hot-spot and looks perfect.

If you see a dark spot in the pics above that I posted, you might want to have your eyes checked..:nana:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk Lu,

I think it may be possible that your H31 is different from others lights.

Mine certainly doesn't have the same beam you describe. The H31 I have has a nice evenly bright hot-spot and looks perfect.

If you see a dark spot in the pics above that I posted, you might want to have your eyes checked..:nana:

First thing I did was checking your shots in post #128, because you only see such things on a white wall. Next thing will be checking my light this evening, you posted enough pictures so that I can clearly see how the emitter should be positionned exactly and how the reflector looks like. My light is at home by now, I'm in the office...

Whatever I'll find out, my light is OK for me, I like it the way it is. If the center of the hotpsot is slightly dimmer than the outer ring, it isn't dramatic, I doubt I would see it in outdoor use.

I got an SC50w with the H31, that one is also very nice and I don't see a darker spot in the hotspot. It has a well floody beam, is quite bright (on a 14500) and probably the smallest AA light with a Switch that I own. Zebralight's UI is special, but to my suprise I was used to it pretty soon already with my older headlights, same for teh H31 and the SC50w.

I'm hoping for a neutral white XP-G light now, perhaps that's gonna be the H51... :naughty:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I am definitely getting the H51 I am still on the fence for the H31. How does the H31 perform against the SC50, I know it's different emitters with the SC50 and H31 but it might help if I see pics or input comparing the H31 to SC50. I have the SC50 and SC50w and would probably order the H31 not the H31w even though I love the SC50w I want my first XP-G headlamp.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I am definitely getting the H51 I am still on the fence for the H31. How does the H31 perform against the SC50, I know it's different emitters with the SC50 and H31 but it might help if I see pics or input comparing the H31 to SC50. I have the SC50 and SC50w and would probably order the H31 not the H31w even though I love the SC50w I want my first XP-G headlamp.

Scrolling up is a PITA, so click here :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3377510&postcount=141

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I guess I missed that H31w pic assuming it was the regular H31, it's not that warm it seems looks good though.

It is an H31, it was supposed to be an H31w.

To recap- the picture shows an H31 on the left, vs. an SC50w on the right. :)

Peter

IMG_0036-1.jpg

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between getting the wrong tint LED and the terrible mismatch on the HA, I would return the light (after getting an RMA from ZebraLight). I don't know how that one made it past QA/QC.

All of the ZebraLight products that I own have perfectly matching HA on the body and tailcap, though they differ in color between the various models. I currently own an SC30, H31 and an H30-Q5. When the update to the H30 is introduced with the XP-G LED, I will be the first in line to buy that, too.

The UI for the new ZebraLight lineup is very much to my liking. I keep my lights on the lowest modes, and like the fact that I can access low, or high so easily. IMO, it is the best UI that I have ever used in a multi-mode light. With that said, I like the UI on the early NiteCore D10 almost as much.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dark spot on my H31 is really visible to my eyes, it wasn't my imagination...

I tried to do a beamshot, I didn't really succeed, so I worked on the picture, to amplify the beam characteristics :

bj8fts.jpg

As I said, in real life you don't see anything negative!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, that looks shitty. Could you post another picture without any work done to it?
I would contact zebralight for a replacement.

I shouldn't have posted that picture, I knew it... :banghead:

That beamshot has been terribly reworked, because I can't take beamshots with my Olympus MJU 725 SW, I was used to a complete Canon EOS equipement, but I didn't go digital, my MJU is my snapshot box, no more, no less.

Here is the original picture, taken at -2 underexposure and not reworked at all :

33jtlc9.jpg

That looks good, doesn't it? If Zebralight reads this thread, they'll take me to court if I don't get this right!!! :stupid:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can definitely see the rings in your pic in #176. Fairly obvious. Not as noticeable as your worked picture though. I had to laugh as the worked picture looks like a Bullseye haha.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well my H31W arrived today and the beam looks perfect IMO. No holes, donuts, dark spots or nothing in the way of flaws that can be seen with the naked eye. Of course I'm not reworking it digitally so I guess I'll never know 100%? It has decent punch and bright flood with a great warm tint. Pretty quick shipping too.

Tonight I'll really get to check it out but so far I love it. :thumbsup: It's all set-up on the lower output options and ready to go.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sgt. LED,

Good to hear your beam looks good and ya like it!:thumbsup:

I noticed something about the UI.
The H31 and H31W both have the same type of UI as the H60(w)
It memorizes your settings for the first two levels but always goes back to the lower high after being shut off, just like the H60(w)

The SC30(w) memorizes your setting for all the levels and if you set it for the high-high it will come back on at that level after being shut off.

Not a big deal but something I thought should be brought up.

I also noticed the H31W seems to get warm faster than the H31
These lights are great and I can't wait to take them camping!
I too would buy an H30 if they updated the emitter to a neutral XP-G....but PLEASE KEEP THE H30 THE SAME SMALL SIZE if it gets an updated emitter!!!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the original picture, taken at -2 underexposure and not reworked at all

Henk_Lu I can see the donut easily are you sure you don't want to send it back, it appears your is a abnormality after reading about all the other clean beams from members. Things like that bother me less at first but eat away at me because I know it's there.

Latest posts