New Zebralight H31

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
Woot. Just picked up a Zebralight H31w a month ago. I'm standardizing on CR123 around the house. No beam artifacts, nice warm light, pretty much spot on tint.

h31w.JPG

No battery pack, no wires going around the back, aluminum housing, (no hinges to crack *cough* Apex). RE: reflector vs flood in a headlamp, I'll take the throw. I can do close up work with the really low settings without blowing away my vision. I suppose I could use scotch tape or write-right to get the flood.

My only complaint is the UI. Overall, it's good. I'd rather have just 4 levels rather than dealing w/ sub levels. Like perhaps 0.3 -> 17 -> 60 -> 160lm? The current 87lm is too visually close to 160lm. Can't please everyone, eh? Anyway, in an emergency, if you make a quick grab at the button, it comes on at high which is kind of what you need.

I was referring to the manner in which you have to hold it to activate the switch while having the emitter facing forward. I don't envision that much differently than how you would squirt a skinny aerosol can.

Sometimes I run around the house w/out putting it on and spray can hold is how I'd refer to it. It's ok, but this thing is tiny so I wear it if I need light for any length of time.

Overall, 9/10.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the GITD silicone holders the H30 and H50 came with are available for replacements from Zebralight? The GITD one from the H30w I just received does fit the H31w and I prefer the silicone to the rubber texture and the glow in the dark to find it in the dark

wapkil

Enlightened
I can look into ther led at moon mode too I just wonder if it really is .5 or .4 lumens since low is 3.5 lumens and there doesn't see that much difference. On my Novatac I have it set up .03/.33/.94/2.7 There is a bigger difference between .33 and .97 lumens on my Novatac than there is between .5 lumens and 3.5 lumens on my Zebralight. Why would this be unless the ZL levels were misrepresented?

I think that on the H31 the modes are .5lm and 5lm so it should be even more visible. All I can say is that on my SC50w there is a big difference between .6lm and 4.4lm modes. Have you tried setting the Novatac closer to .5lm (.47lm?) to directly compare the lights?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the H31 yesterday and it's another ZL product I am completely satisfied with. The build quality seems rock solid and it looks every bit as bright as my Apex without all the bulk. The 2hrs at 120 lumens sounds great for such a small device and I can always boost to 220 if I ever need it, throw a spare or two cr123 in a pocket or pack and I would feel confident with this light anywhere anytime.

Has anyone confirmed the two medium mode runtimes of 43lm/12hrs and 24lm/23hrs? I think for most outdoor task the 43lm is just about perfect and if I really will get 12hrs it's pretty amazing.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone here own both the H31 and Maratac AAA?

Does the H31 has a bigger hot spot than the Maratac?

Does the H31 has a smoother transition from hot spot to spill than the Maratac?

Thanks.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here own both the H31 and Maratac AAA?

Does the H31 has a bigger hot spot than the Maratac?

Does the H31 has a smoother transition from hot spot to spill than the Maratac?

Thanks.

I own both. The hot spot for both lights are pretty much identical...and yes; the H31 does have a smoother transition to spill. (and a much brighter spill) (Oh, and a much brighter hot spot also)

I have had this H31 for a few months now and I absolutely love this headband. I like the fact that I can turn it to low and work just fine in close quarters and it is perfect for working on the vehicles at night. I gave my H30 to my son as I just don't have a need for it any longer.

Last edited:

coors

Enlightened
I have had this H31 for a few months now and I absolutely love this headlamp. I like the fact that I can turn it to low and work just fine in close quarters and it is perfect for working on the vehicles at night. I gave my H30 to my son as I just don't have a need for it any longer.

I was really kicking myself for missing out on getting one of the clearance H30w headlamps. Reluctantly, I purchased an H31w a few days ago (haven't received it, yet). Was glad to see your post, as it encouraged me in that I may have done well, after all. Defabricata's beam shots do make me wish that ZL would have had the warm XPG emitters in this light though, instead of the dimmer XPE.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Defabricata's beam shots do make me wish that ZL would have had the warm XPG emitters in this light though, instead of the dimmer XPE.

The H51's have the XP-G's, which I prefer the beam pattern of. Anyone know if ZL plans to upgrade their H31 series with XP-G's?

coors

Enlightened
I'm very pleased with the new H31w. This little thing really throws usable light quite a ways, on the highest mode. The spill is great, and combined with the bright spot, it's really nice! I'm hoping that I'll be able to see well enough for bike path (paved railroad) riding on one of the medium modes. Will have to try this out tonight, maybe. The lowest mode is very useful, as well. Again, I still hope that ZL will offer these H31w headlamps with the neutral XPG, sometime in the future.

Update: Aug 1st 2010
Yes, I can see perfectly well to ride at speed on the bike trail, while in the lowest-medium mode. On foggy night rides I can simply ramp up to high, to penetrate the fog. I read this thread entirely and did not see where anyone verified the ZL listed runtimes for this light. Maybe I'll take on the task myself, for R123a cells. I won't use up my primaries for testing.

Update #2: Aug 3rd 2010
Here, I'll post my runtimes for the H31w and an AW R123a cell. Will use the very same 1 yr old battery (4.20v, 10 mins. off chrgr) for each runtime recorded.

H1- 49m 57s
H2- 1h 20m 59s
M1- 7h 28m 43s
M2- 11h 18m 53s
L1- 2d 20h 3m 7s
L2- 8d 5h 28m 57s

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^thanks for the tests!!!- especially with the RCR

Im still waiting for an 18650 version w a warm XP-G

but might have to get one of these if theyre not out

soonish...:whistle:

CathastrophiX

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a H31 despite the fact that Zebralight newer answered my mails about my H60 with cracked lens :thumbsdow, (I still really like the H60 tough), just because i like the UI. Received it today and it's REALLY nice, why didn't I order it before...
If the SC30 comes with XP-G I will buy it.
My two H30s have worked flawlessly for almost two years of heavy use now:twothumbs

gollum

Enlightened
its the forward facing version but they can still be worn as a headlight
at least I think they can
my sc30w version still had the headband and accessories for it

anyone else know otherwise?

I reckon the sc60 would fit in a sc30 headband anyway

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
man- I hope they make a dedicated 18650 HL with an
XP-G soon...
AW 2600 has so much more runtime than 16340
and I dont care for primaries as I like to leave the
house with a full charge every time.

would especially like a warm or neutral XP-G 18650

forward facing lights are a lot more fiddly to get aimed-
when mountain biking I use a dual warm xpg C-2 on the side
of my brunton L3 strapped to my full face helmet. I usually
have to mess with it a bit to get the angle where I want it.

Id like to do dual zebralights at some point as Ive seen
done here before :devil::devil: