Ni CD battery replacement

lily

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am totally ignorant about anything to do with batteries. I did read Wikipedia about NiCd batteries, and know they have been replaced with NiMH batteries. I have an old WaterPik( rechargeable) that used a 1.2 ( or maybe 1.3) volt NiCd battery. The company does not provide replacements or any info, just offers a coupon for a new WaterPik. The battery measures approximately .75" diameter, and approximately 1.25" tall, button top style. The closest I have found on a battery web site is .65" x 1.14" flat top. Is there a way that might work, or is this hopeless? There's no identifying information on the battery. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 16980947634394330921401640337097.jpg
    16980947634394330921401640337097.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 71

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on how the cell is charged in the unit. NiCd is designed to withstand a certain amount of continuous overcharge (typically 0.1C where C is the (milli-)amp-hour capacity). NiMH is not a good with this. This may or may not matter in your case.

Dave

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hello,
I am totally ignorant about anything to do with batteries. I did read Wikipedia about NiCd batteries, and know they have been replaced with NiMH batteries. I have an old WaterPik( rechargeable) that used a 1.2 ( or maybe 1.3) volt NiCd battery. The company does not provide replacements or any info, just offers a coupon for a new WaterPik. The battery measures approximately .75" diameter, and approximately 1.25" tall, button top style. The closest I have found on a battery web site is .65" x 1.14" flat top. Is there a way that might work, or is this hopeless? There's no identifying information on the battery. Thanks for any help.

You can still buy nicd.

that might be a 2/3 a cell.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You could always solder a wire to the terminals inside the device, run them outside, and place a cell holder (with springs/etc) so you can insert/remove/remote charge a battery for it. I had an electric razor I did this for a million years ago.

lily

Newly Enlightened
You could always solder a wire to the terminals inside the device, run them outside, and place a cell holder (with springs/etc) so you can insert/remove/remote charge a battery for it. I had an electric razor I did this for a million years ago.
Wow! I'll relay this to my partner. See if he's up for it!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not, it is a water pick, that means there is a water and moisture where it is used and stored, the battery needs to be inside and sealed from moisture exposure.

lily

Newly Enlightened
Do not, it is a water pick, that means there is a water and moisture where it is used and stored, the battery needs to be inside and sealed from moisture exposure.
Got it! Still waiting for a reply from the battery company link

lily

Newly Enlightened
This one will work, i've replaced old nicd with nimh in shaver, and trimmer, never had any issues, it will charge just like the old one, and run even longer.
https://www.batteryspace.com/nimh-r...a-1600-mah-10c-cell-1pc---rohs-compliant.aspx
If I am reading the measurements correct for a similar one on Tenergy ( I can't find measurements on the site noted, but do have a call in to them), the diameter is .66, not .75 and the height is 1.10, not 1.75. Is there a way that could work?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a reasonable cell but diameter 17mm versus 14mm for (2/3)AA might make a difference in a tight space.

Dave
Hello,

lily

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a reasonable cell but diameter 17mm versus 14mm for (2/3)AA might make a difference in a tight space.

Dave
The new battery is actually the one with the smaller measurements. So, might I have to somehow wedge something against it to hold it in place, or would that be a no no?

turbodog

Flashaholic
The new battery is actually the one with the smaller measurements. So, might I have to somehow wedge something against it to hold it in place, or would that be a no no?
Would be ok. Some electrical tape/paper would be fine. It's a newer cell so capacity would be good.