Nichia GS "Fauxtons"

sabre7

Enlightened
I have both the Phonton Freedom and X light Micro with "white" leds, neither will work with (energizer) 2032 cells, either they stay on constantly or won't click on at all. No problems at all when 2 2016s are installed. Anybody know why?

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both electronically regulated. Obviously the regulator can't start from such a low voltage, or if it does it freaks out.

It'd be great if LRI made slightly thicker Photon FMs that ran on two CR2032s.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Phonton Freedom and X light Micro with "white" leds, neither will work with (energizer) 2032 cells, either they stay on constantly or won't click on at all. No problems at all when 2 2016s are installed. Anybody know why?

I had some trouble when I switched my Freedoms to a 2032. If I let the bat. sit on an angle, and I tried to check the light function, funny stuff was happening. If I empty it, short across the battery compartment (just to be sure it is reset), and snap the 2032 in there in one swift motion, it initializes and works just fine. Not sure if you are victim to a similar problem, but that was my experience, and it happened on two different Freedoms, so it is not a freak phenomenon.

Marduke

Flashaholic
They are both electronically regulated. Obviously the regulator can't start from such a low voltage, or if it does it freaks out.

It'd be great if LRI made slightly thicker Photon FMs that ran on two CR2032s.

No coin cell light is regulated. The Freedom just uses a PWM for dimming. The light it still direct drive.

FWIW, all my Freedom's work fine on 2032, with the obvious reduced output.

sabre7

Enlightened
If I let the bat. sit on an angle, and I tried to check the light function, funny stuff was happening. If I empty it, short across the battery compartment (just to be sure it is reset), and snap the 2032 in there in one swift motion, it initializes and works just fine.

Not sure what you mean. No matter what I do, with 2032 installed the light stays on constantly and cannot be turned off as soon as cover is replaced. Apparently the cover is pressing on the switch making it stay on. Have tired bending switch up but then it will not turn on at all. Appears to be totally impossible to make work with 2032 battery.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like your problem may be different from what I found. What happened to me was that the light would start to come on as I inserted the battery, before it was all the way down under the retention clip. If I dawdled there and did not immediately push the battery home in the body, it would get stuck in a state that sounds like what you have. To reset it, I had to remove the battery and start over. I also shorted the top tab to the circuit board in case there was any residual charge on a component on the board. Re-inserting the battery deliberately and swiftly resulted in a smooth-functioning Freedom with lower peak brightness and killer run-time, and one of the lowest lows of any light out there. I also back-modded mine to a Nicha DS (from GS) for less purple in the beam and a round hot-spot. I have to say it was not really worth it, though.

sabre7

Enlightened
Yes it does that too. As soon as the battery makes contact with the tab and circuit board the light comes on and stays on. Any pressure on tab makes light stay on. Replacing cover makes light stay on. Have tried countless times and ways to make it work.

I have a nv green version that accepts 2032s no prob. The light doesn't come on at all while batt is being replaced. Must be something to do with the white led itself.

Apparently some later, brighter versions of the white led Photon Freedom will not accept 2032 batteries... any further attempts will result in my sledgehammer vs. photon freedom in driveway solution :hairpull::banghead::dedhorse:

Marduke

Flashaholic
FWIW, I have one store-bought GS Freedom, and 2 more modded with GS's from a CS and red covert, and all 3 will work with 2032's.

sabre7

Enlightened
FWIW, I have one store-bought GS Freedom, and 2 more modded with GS's from a CS and red covert, and all 3 will work with 2032's.

Very interesting. As I said earlier, I have a new Xlight Micro that acts the same way and it won't take the 2032s either. Didn't mean to steer off topic, but it has become a puzzle as to why 2032s seem to work fine in some Photons and not others.

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened
Need update on decent Fauxtons

First of all, sorry for bumping an old thread :whistle:

I would like to purchase 10-pack of bright Fauxtons. It's an old thread so obviously all DX skus are long gone and I could't find anything similar on DX. Found 10 pack of 22,000mcd LED Keychain for $5 at Kaidomain. Are these any good? If not, what alternatives are available?
I'm in Europe so has to be from a seller that ships here.

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened
Re: Need update on decent Fauxtons

After some googling ordered 10 Fauxtons for $3.76 including shipping from Asia. They are probably no match for Nichia ones (22000mcd in description) but at that price I won't complain :)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are the same. You find them on dx by searching for "keychain led" - the 22cd ones you speak of are the best bang-per-buck by far, but expect one or two to need tinkering or be flat out dead on arrival.

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened

expect one or two to need tinkering or be flat out dead on arrival
At that price no problem if you're right. Can't expect strict quality control.
If there will be a couple DOA maybe I'll take it as a chance to improve my soldering skills trying to replace original leds with red ones etc. :grin2:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

No soldering required. All they are is two 2016's straddled by the LED leads, which have been bent to go around the batteries. The tinkering is usually adjusting the bend of the leads, if it comes on bright but not reliably, especially while using the constant on switch, which just slides over to apply pressure to one lead. If it is dead, it probably needs new batteries. That's when I just put in a new 2032. It won't be as bright at first, but the 2016's will dim to it's level pretty quickly, and it is still quite useful, and lasts many times longer than the 2016's.

Cool necro-thread, and it reminds me how long I have had the same 2032 in my Photon Freedom, four years! In fairness, I have been starting to think about a new one, as it is quite a bit dimmer than four years ago, but still works great. Hoping I don't have too tough a time, as per the above discussion. It took a while to get it to work with the 2032 back then.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

At that price no problem if you're right. Can't expect strict quality control.
If there will be a couple DOA maybe I'll take it as a chance to improve my soldering skills trying to replace original leds with red ones etc. :grin2:

As Hondo says, no soldering skills needed for fauxtons. When yours arrive please let us know who you purchased from and what you think of them. I recently received 30 fauxtons from fasttech.com and made my comments in post # 15 of this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...What-happend-to-Fauxton&p=4121031#post4121031

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened

I've ordered from FastTech as well. Still waiting for order to arrive. Already got some red LEDs to replace some ;)

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened

Fauxtons from FastTech arrived last week. 10 out of 10 working.
I bought clear ones.