Nichia high-CRI Zebralight mod? Anyone done it?

PBear

Newly Enlightened
If a freezer would be useful, how about placing dry ice in the bezel? Would it be feasible?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a freezer would be useful, how about placing dry ice in the bezel? Would it be feasible?

That would be a lot more effective than freezing the whole light, whether it worked or not.
I'd cut a circle of thick paper or something to cover the lens though, anything that insulates a bit to break the thermal path and hopefully not break the glass.

moses

Enlightened
Why the Nichia?

Zebralight already has some 85CRI lights. Is the Nichia much higher CRI?

Thanks,
Mo

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Nichia has really dialed their phosphor balance to give a sense of color neutrality that has eluded other makers, and this goes for their 119/219 emitters regardless of whether the output is on the warmer side or cooler side of the CCT scale. When an LED is rated as being hCRI, that's only one part of the equation, and while generally an improvement over what we had available up until recently, had been a largely incomplete achievement before Nichia applied their alchemy and brought us what we'd been hoping for all along.

moozooh

Enlightened
That being said, the downside is that the Nichia is very inefficient above 3-4 watts, and has very high forward voltage that would be best served with 3x or 4xAA setup, definitely not 1xAA. I was a fan of the idea previously, but these days I'd probably go with Luxeon T instead: >300 LED lumen at 3 W, 85 CRI, whereas you'd be lucky to get 160 lm in the same setup with the 219. Basically, if you're going outside with an H51 modded this way, grab a pack of spare eneloops with you.

I'd love to have the 219 in some kind of a ceiling fixture or a desklamp, still.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
We all choose what priorities we have and for me the quality of light is worth a drop in efficiency, especially since I can generally go for a couple weeks on a charge, and at least get through the day when using my single cell lights for longer periods of time.

While there's a notable difference between 160 and 300 lumens, it's not as much as the numbers on paper would suggest it is, and even though I'd love to have the higher quantity of lumens, I'll go with the greater perceived quality of lumens which have proven themselves for the last year to be more than adequate.

moozooh

Enlightened
It's not that the question is "300 vs. 160", rather that the Nichia will eat through AAs like there's no tomorrow, and have lower brightness ceiling. Not a preferred trade-off for every circumstance, to say the least.

Again, we're talking H51, a 1xAA lamp. If this were SC60 or something like that, it would fare much better, but 7 extra points of CRI won't help if you're just not putting enough light on an object; there's been a discussion regarding color rendition where it was posited that light of higher intensity but nominally worse CRI could deliver a similar or better color reproduction by the virtue of engaging with a higher amount of color-sensitive cells (and other optical effects that become pronounced at higher levels of illumination).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You're in the wrong thread and the question has nothing to do with your preferences - it has to do with finding out if anyone has been able to mod a Zebralight to one of today's most highly favored emitters.

All of your points are valid, for you, but again, this thread is not about getting off on a tangent of which emitter you like better than the one the OP is interested in.

moozooh

Enlightened
I don't know if you've been tracking the context, but you're barking up the wrong tree. OP's question has been answered back in November; the discussion I'm partaking in pertains to moses's question from yesterday, "why the Nichia?" What such a mod would entail is, in this sense, not at all a tangent: it trades some things for other, and we've yet to see solid measurements and back-to-back comparisons to let people figure out for themselves how worthy such a trade-off would be, especially compared to H51c which is closer to the Nichia in terms of both light quality and performance.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Still the same thread and I already answered the question about why so many of us like the Nichia - your objection comes in the form of a 'why not'. At any rate, many CPF'ers have been long known to choose quality of light over quantity.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.

H51 disassembled:

IMAG0257.jpg

H51 with new nichia219 reflowed and awaiting final reassembly:

IMAG0261.jpg

Fully assembled H51 but now with more CRI goodness (bad phone photo, the lens/reflector are not cloudy):

IMAG0263-1-1.jpg

Please disregard the shape of my poor H51. It saw a lot of rough use before the swap, and none of that damage was caused by the mod.

A few things to note:
- The bezel is press fit.
- The stock emitter pcb is screwed down to the head.
- The reflector is also press fit, but comes out easily enough with a few gentle taps.
- The lens dimensions are 18mm x 1mm
- The nichia219 was reflowed onto the stock pcb.

As with most xpg to nichia mods, the hotspot is now slightly more diffuse - which most may find that to be a good thing. Output is less and of course the color rendition and tint speak for themselves.

Why havent you replied to your peers as to how you actually opened this up! been searching online for hours to find out how.

Sorry for the thread revival

moozooh

Enlightened
I think all you needed to know was "bezel is press fit" and the dent seen in the lowermost photo. By my educated guess, he inserted a sharp tool between the body and the bezel, drove it in with a small hammer perhaps, and picked it off when the bezel became loose. Put everything back together using jaw vise or something.

leggera16

Newly Enlightened
I

Yes epoxy is the easiest way but it's my EDC so I would prefer it to stay streamlined and pleasant visually ;-) that can be hard with epoxy.
Another possible solution could be drilling few small holes around bezel end epoxying cylinder shaped neodymium magnets. But I'm not even sure if magnets that small (1-2 mm in diameter) are available.

I prefer the form factor of the ZL and its interface over current Spark models so this is not solution for me.

Im looking to make some magnetic diffusers utilising the steel ring on zebralights. Has no one done this or can you buy them somewhere? Might do a few with lenses to widen the beam for walking too. I did try to search but got weird results lol

2010111175325748.jpg

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking to make some magnetic diffusers utilising the steel ring on zebralights. Has no one done this or can you buy them somewhere? Might do a few with lenses to widen the beam for walking too. I did try to search but got weird results lol

Sounds like a nice idea, but make sure that the ZL bezel is magnetic itself. I just tried on the three that I have with me (an SC600 Mk III, an H52w, and an H502w), and none of those bezels will hold a magnet. Many stainless steels are like this--they don't respond to magnets.

So you might need to replace the bezel, too.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LEDs of all current Zebralight lights sit on the driver pcb. The pcbs have electrical components on both sides (at least in the samller SC6x models). This makes removing just the LED rather difficult (vinhnguyen54 has done it on a SC6330 though by fixating the bottom side components with capton tape). In addition to this most current Zebralights have 6V or 12V emitters. Older models with a 3V LED had the XM-L2 which has a different footprint than the 3V Nichias.

Of all the current lights only the new SC64c (which already has a Cree high-cri LED) can be modded with a 3V Nichia because it has a 3V XP-L2 LED.
The Zebralight with XHP50(.2) LEDs can be modded with a Nichia 144A LED, although one first needs to finde out in what electrical configuration (6V or 12V) the XHP50 is used. The Nichia 144A has to be bought in the correct configuration (it only has two contacts instead of four). Only the 6V version is easy to get.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a modded Armytek Prime C2 Pro (similar to Zebra SC62) modded with a Nichia 219B-V1 with the stock 3A driver. It now gets hot much, much faster and throttles down in a shorter amount of time. For most people I would reccomend going with the Nichia 219C as it is much more efficient.

leggera16

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a nice idea, but make sure that the ZL bezel is magnetic itself. I just tried on the three that I have with me (an SC600 Mk III, an H52w, and an H502w), and none of those bezels will hold a magnet. Many stainless steels are like this--they don't respond to magnets.

So you might need to replace the bezel, too.

Ah ok it does look like that sort of steel that doesnt stick. Odd? Maybe I can add one ring to the light and one to the lenses. Got the sc600w XHP50.2 ordered so will decide which one to mod once its here (old one is mkii L2) . I just sometimes want the road lit from edge to edge and no spill blinding other walkers. Almost like the 10 dollar zoomies lol. Cheers