Night Ops Gladius / Typhoon

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey brother, I've read your story a couple times. It comes up everytime I do a search for Gladius info on the forum. That sucks. The design is not without it's failure points. I know the battery discharge was an issue. The plastic control ring on the tailcap has also been known to break upon severe impact.
Yeah, unfortunately the tailcap felt like an after-thought. If they had given that some attention and definitely fixed the severe parasitic drain issue, Night-Ops would have had a winner on their hands.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay gang, fulfilled one of my long-term flashlight goals. Assembled the mythical Blackhawk Gladius / Surefire FM34 beamshaper combo...

xMKkHtpl.jpg

Lzu3zPrl.jpg

Obesessed with this combo as shown on TigerhawkT3's site from the golden age of CPF way WAY back when, always wanted to try this out with one of my modded specimens. The FM34 is the impossible to find diffuser/beamshaper for the 6P series. After combing through many clone and aftermarket versions that were close but not exactly right, I snagged a genuine Surefire one in WTB from Euroken. One word of caution that others have said about this combo is to be careful with closing the latch as the bezel is a hair thicker than the 6P for which the FM34 is designed. I first tried it on my 6P and it was smooth as buttah, snapped on perfectly. My first attempts on the Gladius took an alarming amount of effort and the pieces started splaying out in weird directions. After some fiddling, I realized that a very thin piece of wire would give just the right amount of slack. I carefully slid the original pin out from the latch and threaded a piece of wire (a beading pin) and bent the straight end into a loop to hold it. Fits perfectly.

Attachments

• xMKkHtp.jpg
    xMKkHtp.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Lzu3zPrh.jpg
    Lzu3zPrh.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
You inspired me to find my old Gladius Maximus. It was a really cool light at the time, doesnt hold a flame to what is out now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You inspired me to find my old Gladius Maximus. It was a really cool light at the time, doesn't hold a flame to what is out now.
Don't forget to follow the non-intuitive process of swapping out the batteries. If you just unscrew it, you'll break the tailcap.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Don't forget to follow the non-intuitive process of swapping out the batteries. If you just unscrew it, you'll break the tailcap.
Well, why do you think it was discontinued? People didnt read the manual that said you had to line up the pin to screw on the tailcap. I remember lots of cop buddies got these when they first came out and broke them the first week.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, why do you think it was discontinued? People didnt read the manual that said you had to line up the pin to screw on the tailcap. I remember lots of cop buddies got these when they first came out and broke them the first week.
Light overall was about 15 years ahead of its time. Unfortunately, when something like that is introduced that early, folks in general don't understand or don't appreciate it. But didn't help that the tailcap was an after-thought.