Nikon SLR/D-SLR fans

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a few years since I've participated in these forums, hence my lack of participation in this thread that I had created so many years ago.

A few updates:
My D610 has close to 125,000 shutter actuations on it now.
I bought a D500 last year and it already has around 75,000 actuations on it.
I still have my film cameras (FE2, F4, N8008s) and bought a few non-Nikon film cameras as well (old 120 film folder and an Omega 45D).
Lenses: AI'd 24mm f/2.8 K; AI'd 28mm f/3.5; AI'd 35mm f/2 K; PC-Nikkor 35mm f/3.5; two different 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkors; two different 105mm f/2.5s; 18-70mm; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-210 f/4; 35-135mm.

I've been shooting more videos recently than ever before. The D500 is a great camera for that as long as you manually focus. The D610 is great for 1080p but I'm shooting mostly 4K these days.

The Nikon D7500 was released recently and, I believe, it is going to replace both the D7200 and the D5600 at the same time. Simpler, one camera to do it all for the serious amateur. It's not for me. I'm still waiting to see what Nikon has in store for this year since it's their 100th anniversary and great things are expected of them. They have registered four new cameras with the Indonesian government (???) and only announced one camera so far. A few more months of waiting will undoubtedly bring new camera announcements but I've already decided that I'm going with a Lumix G85 as my next camera, more for its video capabilities than for its image quality. We shall see. It'll probably become my time lapse camera to take the load off of the Nikons.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Nice! I really like those Panasonic's.

About the time I bought a D7000 I read an article by a pro who crossed America with only his celphone, all-the-while knowing its limitations would result in a lot of lost opportunities for great photos.

Instead he chose to make use of the limitations and set his sites on telling stories along with making the most of those limitations.
That intrigued me at a time when Nikon (and others) seemed to be upgrading their lineup every 30 days. As part of an attempt at enticing the everyday crowd they got better and better... cheaper and cheaper. I decided to follow the lead of the article I read.

Frankly I had lost the zeal for all things SLR pix and just wanted to enjoy the scenery for a change. Knowing my cel-cam was never going to focus correctly on the bee crawling on an althia flower, or focus fast enough to capture the hummingbird hovering at a trumpet vine flower, nor do justice to the thunderstorm clouds... or a sunset... I became an observer instead.

Lately that learn-ed tactic has resulted in dusting off those 2011 relics and using the art of flawed photography revive-ing along with a fixed lens I have a new zeal for capturing photos in the still life platform. The details an SLR can provide are my focus along with a wee bit of digital darkroom tailoring have my creative juices flowing again.

So while the D700 is still set aside for portraits and those special photos the 7000 just crossed the 4000 pix taken threshold.

I think my D80 had crossed the 100,000 threshold before I donated it to my son and my Canon D50 had reached 50k iirc before it was donated to my other son. Both use them at car shows.

So even though the world of DSLR's continues to march forward with lumen wars along with the ability to capture noise free imaging in near total darkness I'm happily going about life with gear that is far superior to my abilities to use them.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Consider me in. I got the Nikon D3400 DSLR camera for my birthday a few months ago, which I have been wanting to get one for astrophotography. It ends up doing the job surprisingly well, despite being told that the D3k couldn't do job well (depending on the optical path - in this case the lenses and filters - and camera body, of course). I also had to play around with it until I learn how to set it up the way I want it to run in, as low light photography is extremely challenging. I just don't let the hardware limitation hold me back from exploiting the D3400 to my advantage as it's already an impressive camera at the price point.

However some shots I did doesn't always have to be all about the stars, sometimes environment complement it well. It has to do with how you pick the scene for the picture, like this example.

Last edited: