NiMh Battery Shoot Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
It may be nuts but I'm about to order a pile of Sanyo HR-3U 2500 mah cells from batterystation ($2.50 ea, almost double what the Powerizer cells cost). Tony, PM me your address and I'll send you some of them when they arrive.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I got my Energizer 2300's at Best Buy about a year ago. They mostly have just been powering my MP3 CD player most of the time. I would just recharge them once a week or so on my Lightning Pack 4000 charger. I normally listen to my CD player about 2-4 hours a day. I know that the player can go about 30 hours or so if I let it play continuously until it stops.
I was almost not going to send the Energizer 2300's since you had already told me that you had some, but I decided to send 2 anyway. I felt pretty much the same way with the La Crosse cells that I got with my charger, since I know that your set is probably about the same age as mine.
I look forward to seeing how the other cells that i sent perform. I know others are looking forward to seeing results from Duracell 2300's, Energizer 2500's, Sanyo 2300's, Sanyo 2500's like I sent you. I also like the Jetcell 2400's I sent. I sent some Sunpak 2300's as well, but for me, the Sunpak's have always performed very poorly.
(Oh, the Sanyo 2500's I sent were the industrial grade variety. That is why they are just in plain green labels. However, the industrial cells are supposed to be more resistant to damage, and are supposed to be able to recharge for more cycles than the consumer grade cells, so it will be interesting to see how they do)

litho123

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
yuandrew said:
Have you tried regular Rayovac Ni-Mh's ?

I have some or you can get them at Wal-Mart

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent SilverFox:
the Ray-O-Vac I-C3 2000 nimh
the regular Ray-O-Vac 1800 nimh (from Wally world)
the GP 1800 nimh
to test.
I know he'll post the results just as soon as he can.
I'd like to know too.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected with those Energizer 2300mAh cells results. Most of us know they are actually rebadged Sanyo HR2300 but what 'bin' is unknown. Most of my Energizer 2100mAh cells can delivered at least 2.0Ah at 0.5C(1.0Ah) discharge.

From the posts above, there seems to be different opinion on cells capacity. Could it be difference from batch to batch? Could it be the 'quality' of metals material used in the cells that affects the performance?

Another one, has anyone tried out the green+orange sleeve GP AA/AAA cells? I've seen alot of RC people racing high discharge with GP 3300 cells.

-vince.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brody,

I guess we must have cells from different batches. I knew there must be some differences between batches, but am shocked at how big the difference is. It seems like the overall capacity is about the same, but my cells will not hold voltage as well as yours.

By the way, my La Crosse charger capacity results are very similar to yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The actual test results show a bit less capacity because of the way I am testing. The La Crosse charger will start the discharge test immediately after charging the cell. I let the cell cool down for 30-60 minutes before testing.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Vince,

I believe Greg sent me some Energizer 2100's as well as some GP 1800's to test.

I am not sure what to make of the differences... Let me get the graph up so we can all see how much of a difference there is.

The casual user may not notice a difference at all, but in a multi cell light that pushes the battery a bit, there could be a vast difference in performance.

This makes me appreciate chargers like the La Crosse (and the ICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) that have a test function allowing you to check your cells out.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
OK, I have the comparison of the two batches of Energizer 2300's up.

The overall capacity is about the same at the lower current rates, but Brody's cells hold voltage much better than mine.

Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Somebody get this man some Energizer/Sanyo 2100s!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

litho123

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Somebody get this man some Energizer/Sanyo 2100s!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Energizer 2100's have already been sent to SilverFox for testing...just awaiting posting of results!

Brock

Flashaholic
Tom can you put say all the 1 amp loads in to one chart so we can compare between them. I know some are better at higher loads and some better for lower loads. Maybe .5a is the most common load on AA's???

tbone_Ike

Newly Enlightened
Tom,

I just ordered a 4-pack of AccuPower 2400mA cells I'd like to loan you for testing. Could you PM me your info & I'll send them out to you when I get them?

Thanks for your hard work!
-jeff

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
Tom,

What about Titanium's 2500 mAH? Do you have any or someone sending some to you? I'm curious how the Titaniums are performing.....

Thanks.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Al,

When someone offers to loan me cells for testing, I request at least 2. I do several tests on them after cycling them for a minimum of 4 cycles.

[/ QUOTE ]

When sending him AA cells, please send him at least 4. By doing this he will be able to test if they fit 4 across in an unbored Mag body. I'm getting him a Modamag adapter to do the testing with.

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pajamas said:
Tom,

What about Titanium's 2500 mAH? Do you have any or someone sending some to you? I'm curious how the Titaniums are performing.....

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find Titanium 2500? Or did you mean the 2400? (2400 is the max I have seen).

Sigbjoern

tbone_Ike

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone been able to get any 2600mA AA cells? It appears that both AccuPower and Ansmann Energy have them available in Europe currently (and possibly some 'off-brands' as well).
Just curious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-jeff

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom should be getting some 2600 AccuPowers soon.
The new AccuPower batteries will be available for sale in the US in the end of April. These will include 2600mAh AA cells, 6000mAh C cells and 11500mAh D cells.

Sigbjoern

Status
Not open for further replies.