Nitecore D11.2/EX11.2

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Power drain, water behind the lens, off-center dies, different versions. You guys just scared me into buying a Zebralight (my second choice). C'mon Nitecore, get your act together.

Tarantula

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I don't want it anymore, they just want our money, selling crap to us, using our flashaholic "sickness".

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I just got my D11.2 and I must say I'm impressed. The build quality is superb, the light looks great. When it arrived, it didn't switch modes sometimes as it was supposed to, but after cleaning the contact ring it did and it does. What I like especially and what - at least for me - makes the D11.2 a better light than the famous D10 are the following:

1.) Anodizing and grip are improved
2.) D11.2 is brighter and lasting longer on the same cells
3.) lockout function - great feature for an EDC light
4.) beam pattern has been impoved and is more convinient due to the more gradual transition from spot to spill
5.) ramping is much more usable because it is faster and still very well adjustable.

Things that I notice but that I'm not worried about are these:

1.) No clip - if needed, I use a Zebralight rubber clip (where the whole light is inserted)
2.) Tailstand is not as secure as with the D10 (I use it on flat surfaces only and there it works
3.) Strobe and SOS - I do not need them and they are well hidden
4.) the piston acts a bit stiff, but you easyly get used to it.
5.) slightly different coloured center of hotspot. It is not exactly a donut hole but the center area tends to the yellowish side while the surrounding is pure white. In practical use it is not noticable.

Negative things that could be fixed in a future D 11.3 or D12

1.) the lowest low setting is way too bright not even as low as with the D10. Preferably it should be something betwenn 0.1 and 0.5 Lumens. It would increase max runtime at that.
2.) 14500 cells could make this light a lot brighter, but they do not work properly. They prevent full contact with the contact ring and so the ramping and double click features do not work. If the head is loosened about 1/2 turn, the light works with 14500 cells in momentary on mode and with the head tightened, it works as a 1-Mode-twisty. I will try to figure out if there is a way to use 14500 rechargables in this light but actually that should be on part of nitecore. On a sidenote, my D10 works just fine with most 14500 cells!

Salut

Last edited:

2bits

Newly Enlightened
Others in this thread have gotten 14500's to work with the D11.2. What cells are you using?

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Others in this thread have gotten 14500's to work with the D11.2. What cells are you using?

DX blue trustfire. actually, after trying virtually ALL 14500's I have, I found one that works with all modes and features. But the light gets pretty hot on max and the low is much higher than with Ni-MH cells. (the high of course also.) I will use the D11.2 mainly with Eneloops since I have other lights that do well with 14500.

2bits

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. So the circuit in the D and EX are different. They aren't the same "broad voltage" driver. Good to know the EX handles 3+ volts better, but I really wish we could get that ability in the D11.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. So the circuit in the D and EX are different. They aren't the same "broad voltage" driver. Good to know the EX handles 3+ volts better, but I really wish we could get that ability in the D11.

I am not sure what the difference in circuitry is between the two, but the EX11.2 keeps the nice low while putting out a much higher high on RCR123's/16340's. I have not experienced any heat problems with it either.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine fit 14500's fine. But pull way too high current, they draw around 2A fully charged, that will kill the led in not too long. Both of mine had incredibly low low modes too, well under 0.5 lumen. One was so low you could hardly tell it was on looking at the emitter unless it was dark. The lights always draw 50ma from the circuit even in standby for 30 seconds before going into 'inactivity' mode so however low the lowest mode is they will never be incredibly efficient. For example if the light is putting out 0.1 lumens and the XP-G needs 5ma for that then it will still draw 55ma, the efficiency difference between 1 lumen and 0.1 lumen in negligible, so I would be glad of a slightly higher lowest setting.

Actually, on one of mine I ran 14500 in it and burnt out the boost driver. It now won't run Ni-mh cells at all, and seems to run direct drive with a 14500, but it retains all the modes and the dimming function, it also draws 1.3A from a 4.2v cell now at max charge instad of 2A, so is safe to use with 14500's. I have one for each cell chamistry now, though the 14500 only one is more of a novelty (in my old D10 housing and modded with a 90+CRI XP-G).

Nescafe74

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
This is my first post here. I have plan to buy D11.2 for my EDC, have seen some pro and cons in this thread, so how is the current production, is they have fix the leak and other problem? Should I go buy it or better lookin for another one?

Thank You.

Lighteous

Enlightened
Mine fit 14500's fine. But pull way too high current, they draw around 2A fully charged, that will kill the led in not too long. Both of mine had incredibly low low modes too, well under 0.5 lumen. One was so low you could hardly tell it was on looking at the emitter unless it was dark. The lights always draw 50ma from the circuit even in standby for 30 seconds before going into 'inactivity' mode so however low the lowest mode is they will never be incredibly efficient. For example if the light is putting out 0.1 lumens and the XP-G needs 5ma for that then it will still draw 55ma, the efficiency difference between 1 lumen and 0.1 lumen in negligible, so I would be glad of a slightly higher lowest setting.

Actually, on one of mine I ran 14500 in it and burnt out the boost driver. It now won't run Ni-mh cells at all, and seems to run direct drive with a 14500, but it retains all the modes and the dimming function, it also draws 1.3A from a 4.2v cell now at max charge instad of 2A, so is safe to use with 14500's. I have one for each cell chamistry now, though the 14500 only one is more of a novelty (in my old D10 housing and modded with a 90+CRI XP-G).

I tried running a protected AW 14500 in my D11 (not D11.2) and found that it was too big to close all the way together. It did light up, however, but only on the brightest setting. It was VERY bright but got very hot in hurry. I ran it for a total of approx. 3 minutes. The 14500 cell took quite a while on the charger to reach full charge after that. That's the end of that experiment...

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
how is the current production, is they have fix the leak and other problem?

All I can say is: for me the D11.2 does at least the same as the "good old" D10, and my D11.2 sample is working flawlessy (including waterproofness). I just carried it on a 2-week-holiday and I am very satisfied. So if you like the D11.2 features, just take it.

Nescafe74

Newly Enlightened
All I can say is: for me the D11.2 does at least the same as the "good old" D10, and my D11.2 sample is working flawlessy (including waterproofness). I just carried it on a 2-week-holiday and I am very satisfied. So if you like the D11.2 features, just take it.

Thank You for the info

2bits

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an EX11.2 a couple days ago. The large o-ring was tangled in the threads when I unscrewed it, meaning the o-ring was broken. The replacement oring took care of that. My AW16340's work fine, though the low is a bit higher than using primary 123's (~1lm). Still acceptably low, and the high is a little higher. Love the UI. Love the tint. Cool Nitecore-branded lanyard. Very small. Nice looking light with the stainless bezel and titanium clip (optional). Unless you have small hands, the cigar grip is best since the button is a little stiff. This is not a negative since it seems accidental activation is very unlikely. Button travel is short, so you won't get tired hands using it.

Three minor issues:
1. There are a few specs of dust behind the lens.
2. The piston pushes on a brass ring, and this ring feels less than smooth, like a lightly gritty scraping.
3. Mentioned broken o-ring.

Again, these are minor imperfections. Overall I'm happy with the light.

zorro

Newly Enlightened
In the last photo on the site for the D11-2 is a trit slot , in the one up from that is not a trit slot , Optional?

Paul.

Paul - From what I see on lightjunction, the tritium slot is optional on the D11.2. Does anyone know whether the slot is offered on the EX11.2? The D.11 has significantly lower high-end output.

okwchin

Newly Enlightened
Paul - From what I see on lightjunction, the tritium slot is optional on the D11.2. Does anyone know whether the slot is offered on the EX11.2? The D.11 has significantly lower high-end output.

The EX11.2 I've seen slotted too.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
OK, I've tried and tried to like these two lights but I have finally had enough. They have both been back and I have replacements. Although the battery drain is not the problem now, the lights are still just plain old flaky. The PD sometimes works, the shortcuts to hi/lo more often than not don't, sometimes turning it off actually turns it on to its lowest setting instead off, .....

I love my EX10 and D10, but I'll be stuffed if I'm going to spend any more time with these two lights. Nitecore is off the list for me now, even though these lights look good and are good when they work.

iPotential

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Nitecore D11.2, however the piston is too high for the tail-stand and so it just rocks when you put it down! It's fine when you remove the piston, but with the piston in it's useless as a candle light.

I sent it back, but haven't heard anything - that's the last time I buy Nitecore from the LED TORCH SHOP.