NITECORE EC4 Review (2x18650,1050Lm,XM-L2)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked Nitecore where to get EC4S, again, and got another BS answer: "Local Distributor!"

Oh OK, I'll just stroll down to my neighborhood flashlight shop since they're on every corner and pick on up. PPpfft

I already have one that came from Amazon.

markr6

Flashaholic
I already have one that came from Amazon.

Yes that was an old post of mine from almost a month ago.

My EC4S from Amazon just arrived! Got two "free" batteries with mine if you consider the price vs others that were the same.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on both the light and the batteries. :twothumbs

Have you had a chance to compare the light with other lights? What's your opinion of the EC4S vs the EC4?

markr6

Flashaholic
Congratulations on both the light and the batteries. :twothumbs

Have you had a chance to compare the light with other lights? What's your opinion of the EC4S vs the EC4?

I'm charging up the new batteries right now...they take twice as long when you're anxiously waiting!!! I'll definitely give some beamshots and feedback soon.

markr6

Flashaholic
I started to hijack this thread with EC4S talk...sorry! So I left my feedback on the other EC4 & EC4S thread.

FlashLion

Enlightened

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
A caution -- if you value having a warranty, make sure you buy only from an "authorized distributor or dealer" -- I just learned that from Nitecore
because I got one of their lights with a blank, unstamped "warranty card" that Nitecore wants to have been filled out and stamped by the seller.
(and no, I haven't found a comprehensive list or definite statement about who is or is not an authorized distributor or dealer).

This may not void any expected warranty, depending on where you live, but I thought it was worth asking Nitecore about, and it's not clear what their answer means to me.

D6859

Enlightened
was about to buy one since they are on sale. but with the high parasitic drain im hesitant.

With the 350 uA parasitic drain Flashlion measured a 3200 mAh battery would take 3200 mAh / 350 uA = 9143 h = 380 d (= over a year) to empty.

I measured 160 uA parasitic drain in my EC4SW (with the blink off). That would empty a 3200 mAh battery in 3200 mAh / 0.16 mA = 20 000 h = 833 d = 28 months (= over two years).

If your going to use the flashlight daily, weekly or even monthly I wouldn't see the parasitic drain a problem. My EC4SW stays in my S&R backpack ready for the searches. As I don't need to use it even monthly (fortunately there's been only one alert for our group this fall) I've cut the circuit with a piece of a tape. Also, as noted by Flashlion, turning the flashlight on to check if it's still working will take much higher current draw than the parasitic drain. Daily example: 18 secs on Turbo (1.7 A) equals to 24 hours of parasitic drain (350 uA). Monthly example: leave the Turbo mode on for 9 minutes and it equals to 1 month on standby. So the question is: are you going to use the flashlight more than 9 minutes on turbo every month?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite everything I don't like about Nitecore and this particular light, the sale price on the EC4SW is very tempting as I really like 2 cell side-by-side designs. The sale price on the original EC4 at BG (I think it was) is super good, but have to many comparable 26650 lights and TK35 models to bight on that one.

Would love Zebra to make a 2 cell side by side AA light.

D6859

Enlightened
(fortunately there's been only one alert for our group this fall)

...aaand that's how you order a S&R alert into your phone. I just came home after searching for a missing person for 4 hours in a dark suburb and the woods around. Didn't find her, but I learned to love my EC4SW more.

akoposilester

Newly Enlightened
With the 350 uA parasitic drain Flashlion measured a 3200 mAh battery would take 3200 mAh / 350 uA = 9143 h = 380 d (= over a year) to empty.

I measured 160 uA parasitic drain in my EC4SW (with the blink off). That would empty a 3200 mAh battery in 3200 mAh / 0.16 mA = 20 000 h = 833 d = 28 months (= over two years).

If your going to use the flashlight daily, weekly or even monthly I wouldn't see the parasitic drain a problem. My EC4SW stays in my S&R backpack ready for the searches. As I don't need to use it even monthly (fortunately there's been only one alert for our group this fall) I've cut the circuit with a piece of a tape. Also, as noted by Flashlion, turning the flashlight on to check if it's still working will take much higher current draw than the parasitic drain. Daily example: 18 secs on Turbo (1.7 A) equals to 24 hours of parasitic drain (350 uA). Monthly example: leave the Turbo mode on for 9 minutes and it equals to 1 month on standby. So the question is: are you going to use the flashlight more than 9 minutes on turbo every month?

Thank you for this. Ordered one!

Latest posts