Nitecore HC30:(head)lamp, XM-L2(U2), 1000 lumens, 1x18650/2xCR123A, (beam)shots/comp.

kj75

Enlightened
In the past months, Nitecore released a couple of headlamps, including the HC30. Nice feature at this one is that it is both a headlamp and a flashlight, thanks to the easy removable head strap. In this review we'll have a closer look at this all-rounder and will see how it performs against another "dual-light". So, let's kick off by showing some product pictures….

Nitecore HC30: an allround light
2qwhph5.jpg

has a typical, square head
35c28at.jpg

powered by a XM-L2(U2) led
2hqb2wn.jpg

lightweight, thanks to its construction
34q4sud.jpg

Let's have a look at the manufacturer specs now:

Features:

· Compact full-metal body provides incomparable portability
· Utilizes a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED for a maximum output up to 1000
Lumens
· High efficiency circuit board provides up to 330 hours runtime on one
18650 Li-ion battery or two CR123 batteries
· Five brightness levels and three concealed special modes to select from
· Direct access to turbo mode
· Incorporates innovative Precision Digital Optics Technology
· Featuring Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) technology to
dynamically adjust output performance based on its internal temperature
· Special head switch for quick operation with one hand
· Reverse polarity protection prevents damage from incorrectly inserted
batteries
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
· Robust HAIII military grade hard-anodized
· Comfortable chafe-free and breathable nylon headband
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two-meter submersible)
· Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
· Tail-stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 3.86" / 98mm
· Head diameter: 0.95" / 24.2mm
· Tube: 0.94 / 23.8mm
· Weight: 1.42oz / 43.3gram (without battery)

And the output specs:

684ewp.jpg

Unboxing:

This Nitecore-member comes also in the colorful box that is compact sized. No surprise here, because almost all Nitecores come in a box like this: A lot of nice pictures and features are printed on the carton. Inside we find the most we need, except a holster and batteries. A clip is included, a handy feature for this all-rounder. In my opinion, this box looks ok. Have a look at the pictures below that show the carton and the contents!

most Nitecores come in a carton like this
21llbix.jpg

contents the HC30, headband, clip, spare o-rings and button, manual and warranty card
5lt6q8.jpg

Impressions:

This is really a lightweight! But on the other side, this is needed while wearing a headlamp without getting tired of it. Nitecore hasn't designed a light like this, but somewhere I've seen this model before… It has a thin tube and a full-metal construction and the overall quality is ok. Anodizing is well done, engraving is ok and the grip is sufficient. In the lights head we see a clean, smooth reflector and a well centered, but some skew XM-L2(U2) led. The well-lubed threads run smoothly, and inside the tailcap and the lights' head it looks fine. The HC30 comes including a nice fitting strap, that is easy to adjust. You can remove the HC30 in some seconds from the headband and turn your HC30 into a compact flashlight. The delivered clip can be added on at two ways. Not the strongest clip I've had before, but enough to prevent against loss. Tailstanding and headstanding is no problem at all, and the light has, thanks to its head, a good anti-rolling feature. Summarizing, a well-constructed and machined all-rounder. Let's have a look at some impression-pictures!

the HC30 can easily be turned into a flashlight
fz43fq.jpg

so you have a two-in-one
nmncsl.jpg

compact and real lightweight
257ofo5.jpg

long runtimes, big output, IPX-8
6omrdl.jpg

well centered, but tilted
21eswm1.jpg

a close up to the tailcap
2ch9ieg.jpg

good job on machining and greasing
mj64qo.jpg

a look inside the tube
ixbart.jpg

the tailcaps' inner with gold spring
1zl39d3.jpg

the finishing inside is ok
4igcjm.jpg

come with well fitting headband
2rfenab.jpg

good job on anodizing
20t34pg.jpg

the smooth reflector will give the light medium throw
5u48rn.jpg

a close up to the knurling
ev8ay0.jpg

engraving done well
332xbn7.jpg

the button is easily recognizable in the dark, also thanks to the edge around
m9rora.jpg

the HC30 in three parts
11tsjg5.jpg

soft silicon holder, very easy to attach and detach the light
2a9xgxx.jpg

many ways to carry the HC30, for example clip it on your pants-pocket
dmqy44.jpg

User interface:

For me, this is a new interface, and I can tell you that, after some use, I like it. It's real innovative, so many (instant)modes can be controlled by only one button. The power button is easy to find in the dark thanks to its stiff structure and the raised edge around. You can turn on the light by three different clicks: A (very) short click for instant LOWER, a short press (about 1 second) to enter the last used mode, and a longer press (2 seconds or more) to get instant TURBO. Before you enter TURBO, the light will first get into the memorized mode. Nice to see that it works! Only disadvantage of this interface (for me) that you can turn on the light by a click, and always have to shut off by a press. But maybe, other users don't mind this. When on, cycle through the five modes by short clicks. The three special modes are only available from off: Quick double click to get into STROBE, cycle through the modes by short clicking. You can't switch between the normal and the special modes. Not surprising that the HC30 hasn't momentary on. But, summarizing, a nice and innovative interface that doesn't take that much exercise.

Modes:

The same modes here as most Nitecores: Total five normal modes: LOWER-LOW-MID-HIGH-TURBO. Two instant modes: instant-LOWER and instant-TURBO. And three special modes: STROBE-BEACON-SOS. Modes are well spaced, except (for me) the jump between LOWER and LOW. I would like to see an extra mode there. LOCK-OUT the light by losing the tailcap a little.

ATR:

This means Advanced Temperature Regulation and will protect against overheating. Good feature on the HC30, because at highest modes, it will get hot soon. This kind of lights are not designed to use longer time at turbo mode, so I can recommend to use this modes for short time.

Size comparison:

Some pictures here with the HC30 in the "flashlight-version" compared to the Armytek Wizard Pro, that has also the possibility to use it as a flashlight.

18650-cell, Nitecore HC30, Armytek Wizard Pro
1zh1p35.jpg

Armytek Wizard Pro and Nitecore HC30
10xdqn6.jpg

Armytek Wizard Pro and Nitecore HC30
2hec3tw.jpg

the heads: Armytek Wizard Pro and Nitecore HC30
ofa7uw.jpg

the reflectors: Armytek Wizard Pro and Nitecore HC30
28cpvv9.jpg

the tails: Armytek Wizard Pro and Nitecore HC30
ja9dts.jpg

Tint:

The HC30 has coolwhite tint, less neutral than for example the EC4. The picture shows the HC30 and the Wizard Pro shining at a white wall. The tint of the Wizard Pro is more neutral.

dweybm.jpg

Beamprofile:

The HC30 has a big hotspot, medium corona and a wide beam. A good beam for the short until medium distance. I couldn't find any defects in the beam, so a good job of the manufacturer here. No PWM detected at any mode.

Beamshots:

First job, the five modes of the HC30 projected on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2rhnwug.jpg

33yt7cx.jpg

5wl5bo.jpg

351ts8p.jpg

2nkqz5.jpg

animation picture
2hwzhoi.jpg

Let's see now how this light performs outside…..At first, the five output modes followed by a GIF. After that, the HC30 compared to the Armytek Wizard Pro, both lights at highest mode. Mind that the Wizard Pro has a diffusing lens.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
153msdi.jpg

15xfvd.jpg

dh8hud.jpg

2j2tfef.jpg

2qlcys9.jpg

animation
6rnj3l.jpg

A comparison the Armytek Wizard Pro
jtl79f.jpg

Conclusion:

The HC30 is a compact, lightweight multifunctional light, made a good quality. Because I'm not a daily headlamp-user, I often used the HC30 in the "flashlight-modus". Nice to see Nitecore has built-in again an innovative interface, after some exercise, it works fine. But why not the same interface as the MH20 with a 3 stage switch? I hope I'll see this button back in future… Summarizing, I can say this is a nice addition to the Nitecore headlamp series. Thanks to the clip and the easy way to attach and detach it from the headband this is a two-in-one. There is one thing I miss in the HC30: Where is the magnetic tailcap?

Nitecore HC30 provided for review

Last edited:

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Loving mine so far. I do have to be very mindful of others though. I am use to much lower lumen headlamps and forget to swing my HC30 downward when I might be shining towards others. Keep having people say "Hey do something with that thing! " LOL

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
I also have one, using keep power 3,400mah it will drain the batterie down to 3.52 volt in about 50-60 minutes on turbo. I love that their is no step down. Output remains high even when batterie is low. Their new thermal management seems to really work well.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, I am just starting to look for a headlamp, this looks small and cheaper then the competition. Looks like a win win. Does it feel sturdy ? Tough enough though ? Did the give it a drop rating of any kind ?
Kind Regards
Ant

C & R

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to make a review of the Nitecore HC30. The animation of the different light levels outdoors is great. Contrasting it against the Armytek Wizard Pro made up my mind about which one I should get.

The only suggestion that I could add for next time would be to put some footage markers in the outdoor pictures.

aquaholik

Newly Enlightened
I bought this hoping the throw would be better than the Zebralight H600MKII but the beam pattern and throw is very similar. They advertised 162M throw on turbo and I guess it's correct judging from the yellow street sign about that far away but the old Fenix HP11 throws much further and only advertised 154 M throw at 277 lumen. Maybe it's because the beam on the Fenix HP 11 is tighter. I was trying to replace the 4AA headlight since they tend to corrode if I forgot the batteries in there.

I got used to the UI quickly and I have three of the Zebralight H600 series. While I'm good with the Zebralight UI since I've used it heavily the past 2 years, the Nitecore UI should be very easy to memorize for beginner. Come to think of it, it's quite simple and the only thing you have to memorize is that to hold it longer than 1 sec to turn the battery off. Double click to get it to strobe is quick and I honestly forgot how to get my Zebralight to go in to strobe off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Simon101

Newly Enlightened
Wonderful review. I just ordered one. I read somewhere that a Scotch magic tape can be used as a diffuser. Has any one here tried on the HC30?

Latest posts