Nitecore MH20GT (XP-L HI V3, 1x18650 or 2x(R)CR123A) USAGE REPORT

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys and galls, the Nitecore's new MH20GT has been on a market for some time now and I will try to present it to you from my perspective- Less technical and more from a users point of view.

Section 1

6KxKz5p.png

wOy6442.jpg
1fzy5fJ.jpg

You will receive your MH20GT in their standard black and yellow cardboard box containing all the basic specs. Inside the box there will be a flashlight, quality holster which you can wear on a belt or attach it to your backpack with velcro flap or via plastic D ring, deep carry belt clip, spare O-rings and micro USB port cover, a lanyard, micro USB cable and instruction manual.

Features and Output and runtime information's stated by Nitecore
Features
· A lightweight, portable 1x18650 USB rechargeable flashlight
· Utilizes a CREE XP-L HI V3 LED
· High efficiency constant current circuit enables maximum output up to 1000 lumens
· Driven by one 18650 battery for maximum runtime up to 680 hours
· Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
· Boasts a peak beam intensity of 33,000 cd and a throw distance of up to 362 meters
· Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
· Innovative single button 2-stage switch accesses multiple functions and modes
· Integrated power indicator notifies battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V)
· Intelligent charging module with a micro USB port charges Li-ion battery rapidly
· Direct access to ultra-low and turbo output
· Detachable two-way anti-rolling clip
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
· HAIII military grade hard-anodized
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2 meters submersible)
· Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
· Tail stand capability
Dimensions
Length: 4.37" (111mm)
Head diameter: 1.25" (31.8mm)
Tail diameter: 1" (25.4mm)
Weight: 3.13oz (88.8gram) (without battery)

AzyADzT.png

Section two- First impressions
First thing that you notice when you pick up this flashlight is the size of the reflector. One would say it is not proportional with the rest of the flashlight and One would be right. Head of this flashlight dominates the rest, making it appear larger on the pictures than what it really is. You will see what I'm talking about when you take a look at the pictures of the flashlight in my hands.
The reflector is smooth and quite deep for a flashlight of this size. Reflector and the XP-L HI LED that it houses are the main suspects for the 362m throw that Nitecore states.
The bezel is mildly crenelated and is there mostly to protect large lens, although, you can certainly use it for self defense, but I'm not sure that the lens would survive in that case (matter of priorities, I guess)

MYWgFo1.jpg

Second thing I noticed holding this light is that its proportions doesn't lead to uncomfortable handling, at all. This head to body ratio might be a problem for a larger flashlight, but handling this one is quite easy.

IT0VIwg.jpg

Here you can see that the size of the light is not a problem for my medium size hand.

Third thing- Build quality

MH20GT's body is made out of three parts. Head, body and a tailcap. Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum (aluminium- potatoes-potatos) and protected from scratches with HA III anodizing, this little flashlight has a really solid feel, making it easy for me to believe it would survive 1,5 m drop that the manual states.

uFj8rll.jpg

Head of this flashlight is equipped with rubber two stage switch that has a good feel and response. Behind the switch there are two blue LED indicator lights used for voltage reading and/or finding the light in the dark (look: user interface). On the other side of the head you can find micro USB port cover.

EEwnbgw.jpg

Details of the body walls thickness, precised, well oiled threads and a tail cap with gold plated spring.

qZIwhQ8.jpg

MH20GT with its deep carry pocket clip installed and in its holster.

Section three- User Interface
The light is equipped with a single two stage switch that is used to cycle through all the modes.
- To turn ON the light, press the switch all the way down.
- To turn the light OFF press it all the way down again

From the OFF (Standby mode)
You can turn on the light with a full press to access the last used mode or you can half press it for around 1 second to access the 1 lumen moonlight mode. From there, half pressing will cycle through all the other modes.
Short half press from standby will turn on the switch beacon mode there the blue LED's in the switch will blink every three second- Nice feature that helps you not to loose your flashlight and it will run for 12 months.

Standard modes.
- Moonlight mode: 1 lumen
- Low mode : 50 lumens
- Medium mode: 230 lumens
- High mode: 410 lumens
- Turbo mode: 1000 Lumens
Shortcut to turbo: Half press the switch from any standard mode mode to access the turbo mode.

Special modes
MH20GT has three special modes (Strobe,SOS and Beacon ) that are hidden but easily accessible. Once tha flashlight is turned on, you can access the Turbo mode by full pressing the switch for more than one second. From there, you can cycle through other special modes (SOS and a Beacon) by half pressing the switch. To exit the special modes, just turn off the light with full press. Special modes are not saved in memory like standard modes.

Voltage indicator
There is a voltage readout function that uses blue LEDs behind the switch cover to show you the voltage level of the inserted battery. Once you insert the battery and tighten the tailcap the blue light will give you two series of flashes. For example, if the voltage is 3,6 volts it will give you 3 flashes followed by short pause, and 6 flashes.
Section four- USB Charging function
MH20GT is supplied with USB cable and it is capable of charging 18650 cells via its USB port. Please note that USB charging does not work with CR123 cells.
Once you plug in the USB cable in the light, blue light will blink twice every three second to indicate that the charging is in the process. Once the charging is over, the blue light will be constantly on.
Rapidly flashing blue light is warning that there is a problem in charging process.

Section five-Nitecore MH20GT as my EDC light
For more than two weeks I was using Nitecore MH20GT as a single and only light in order to make this review.
The morning I picked up the light was like all the other mornings, pretty bright. Well, as I was waiting for the dark, at work, I started to investigate on the flashlight looks, as it was the only thing I could do (except work, I know). Before,I was concerned that the big head was going to be a major turn of, but the light is petite and totally EDC-able, so that was that. Next concerene of mine was "How am I going to cary it"? The holster supplied with it allows for belt carry and the velro flap can be used to attach the holster to the back pack. There is a hole in a tail cap for supplied lanyard also. I found out soon that although the light is fairly small, and it fits snugly in the holster, I am probably not going to cary it too much on my belt since it is pretty noticeable over there if you wear some tight clothes, and, unfortunately, I'm one of those people. Lanyard supplied with it is a good quality one, but, again, I dont like lanyards. So, as I like to keep my gear away from keys, pocket change and all the other anodization killers, I found my self carry it most of the times holstered in the front pocket of my messenger bag during the day. At nights, it was in the front pocket of my jacket or in the front pocket of my sweatpants. It is not a flashlight for a pocket carry while at home, not gonna lie to you, but outside, you won't even notice it. So that is that.
The sunlight was still going strong when I came back from work, but at least I was able to lower the persiennes. So I did it and- MAN, ihatebeinglikethemillionthmantosaythisbut,THIS IS A POCKET ROCKET.
After I have stopped being shocked with the sheer power of this micro monster I tried to be all professional and take some white wall shots.

This is what I came out with

D8eHcYu.jpg

As you can see, I have pretty hairy arms and the MH20GT has a nice beam with well defined hotspot and enough spill for most tasks. The picture was taken three feet away from my white enough wall.

What to do in a small apartment during the day with a flashlight? Let's see how it can light up a small room.

OMl3zvx.jpg

Turbo mode. That was pretty much what I was seeing with my bare eyes. It is a small room, but this thing is bright.
Also, you can see it tail stands like a boss.

Now the moonlight, or the- Toe saver mode

VjTqGeS.jpg

Great for reading at night and making your way through your home without waking anyone up.

For the other modes, I took the flashlight on my balcony.

Next one- Low mode 50 lumens

DnvO577.jpg

The yellow building is around 30 yards away.

Medium mode 230 lumens

Tlx27GC.jpg

As you can see, quite noticeable output bump over here. This mode is the one I use the most as it is more than enough for most outdoor activities.

High mode- 410 lumens

t5z0fyz.jpg

Turbo- Are you insane, don't point that thing at my eyes, I'm gonna divorce you mode- 1000 lumens

3jolF9v.jpg

Now let's see turbo mode at 50 yards

LPQbjAN.jpg

Turbo mode at around 85 yards

htkYbmb.jpg

And now, my guesstimation is 150 yards

lTXBNOb.jpg

As You can see, this little thing has some throw. That is the first thing someone is going to notice at night.
But, the output is just one aspect of every light. User interface is as or even more important. This is not a tactical flashlight. It has no direct Turbo access (if not remembered), or direct strobe access. It is fine for me. UI vise, there is only one major thing I would change. I would hide the moonlight mode, as both my wife and my dog are not easily awaken and low mode is great for me. I have found saving the low mode the most for direct access. Preferences may vary, though.
Strobe mode is a nice thing to have. The three of us tested it inside the apartment after sitting in a dark for about 15 minutes. It is blindingly bright and it sure is disorienting in the dark but i believe the frequency could be higher for better effect.
Advanced temperature regulation or ATR is another great feature of this light. I won't go in too much details (I'm not rocket ATR scientist), but ATR is a thermal regulation system that regulates the output according to internal components temperature in order to save the flashlight internals (and your skin), by dropping the output before the things get toasty.
What I would love to see in this light is a magnetic tail cap. It is a very useful feature and Nitecore has missed the opportunity to implement it, but you will find an easy fix if interested (hint: 12x3mm rear earth magnet behind a spring).
Speaking of tail cap, the fact that it can tail stand is a big plus in my book.
Micro USB charging function is an interesting feature for all the people on the move and it is well implemented here. Of course, at 6 hours for 4.2 volts charge it is not the fastest option, but it is comforting knowing that you can give it some extra juice from your power bank or solar charger.

Wrap up
Nitecore MH20GT:
- Nicely, sturdy built flashlight
- Great throw and output in small size
- Simple but feature rich UI
- USB charging feature (only 18650 batteries)
- Can tailstand
- Has ATR (Advanced temperature regulation)
- HAIII protected aluminium body
- Cost me nothing (Nitecore provided a sample for this review)

YDFK2dv.jpg

Chinook

Newly Enlightened
" It has no direct Turbo access (if not remembered), or direct strobe access. "

It does have direct turbo access by holding down a full press from off.
And strobe is available from any on state by a full press.

Nice beamshots!

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
" It has no direct Turbo access (if not remembered), or direct strobe access. "

It does have direct turbo access by holding down a full press from off.
And strobe is available from any on state by a full press.

Nice beamshots!
That was meant in a context of tactical use. Those two modes have no instant access unless the light is already turned on or am I missing something :)

Chinook

Newly Enlightened
mine is instant on to turbo from off with a full press/hold
a half press momentarily(moonlight) then a full press/hold gives me strobe
can't be more than a second or two

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
mine is instant on to turbo from off with a full press/hold
a half press momentarily(moonlight) then a full press/hold gives me strobe
can't be more than a second or two

I know. Second or two is a lot for tactical use. Not to say that there is no way it could be used for that purpose, but it isn't designed as a tactical flashlight.