Nitecore NL2150i 21700 5000mAh charger question

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Hello.
I'm thinking of getting a small Nitecore flashlight, that takes these cells.
It says in the description that the cell "features a dual way output with positive and negative polarities at both ends". I have a XTAR X2 charger already that charges 21700 cells.

I was wondering if I could use this charger to charge the Nitecore NL2150i 21700 cells ?

Thanks.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question. I have read about people buying those batteries also getting a UMS2 charger to be able to charge them as those are proprietary batteries.
https://charger.nitecore.com/product/ums2

Not sure if the charger you mention would also work. My guess is, probably yes.

Nitecore flashlights that take those batteries usually have a usb-c charging port so if I were you, I'd wait to get the battery and the light, then I'd test if the battery works with the Xtar charger you already own. If it doesn't, you'd still be able to charge the battery directly from within the flashlight and you'd have plenty of time to shop around for a Nitecore charger if really needed.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Interesting question. I have read about people buying those batteries also getting a UMS2 charger to be able to charge them as those are proprietary batteries.
https://charger.nitecore.com/product/ums2

Not sure if the charger you mention would also work. My guess is, probably yes.

Nitecore flashlights that take those batteries usually have a usb-c charging port so if I were you, I'd wait to get the battery and the light, then I'd test if the battery works with the Xtar charger you already own. If it doesn't, you'd still be able to charge the battery directly from within the flashlight and you'd have plenty of time to shop around for a Nitecore charger if really needed.
Thanks for the help.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have one of those batteries in my Nitecore i4000R.
Tomorrow I'll try charging it in my Fenix ARE-D1 or ARE-D2 charger and let you know if it works.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
I think I have one of those batteries in my Nitecore i4000R.
Tomorrow I'll try charging it in my Fenix ARE-D1 or ARE-D2 charger and let you know if it works.
Or that would be brilliant thank you, I really appreciate that.
I may wish to purchase an additional battery if I get one of the small Nitecore's, so been able to charge at least one up in my current charger would be very beneficial.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitecore i4000R has a NL2150HPi 21700 Battery with 5000 mAh.
I have tried charging it in both a Fenix D2 and a D1 which are compatible with 21700 and it wouldn't charge.
The chargers wouldn't even detect the battery was inserted.

I checked on the Nitecore corp website and the US Nitecore Store one: it supposedly only works with a few chargers - copied below.
It should work with the F21i too if you can still find it in the UK.

You could ask Nitecore but they are off for the Chinese new year.
I think flashaholics.co.uk is actually the Nitecore importer for the UK. They should be able to answer your question too.

Compatible Chargers

Battery Compatibility

• This is a customized button top battery designed for i series flashlights (see compatible lights section above).
  • It does NOT work in any non-flashlight device.
  • It does NOT work in any flashlights that require a custom battery.
  • It does NOT work in any electronics that only accept flat top batteries.
  • It can be charged in a lithium-ion charger such as UI1, UI2, UMS2, UMS4

Talster

Newly Enlightened
@Labrador72 thanks very much for all the help and information it is very much appreciated.

At least I know now that if I do want to purchase an additional battery, I would need to purchase one of the chargers that you mentioned. Otherwise I could just charge in the torch if I go with just the one battery.