Nitecore NU20 Headlamp CRI review.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't think the Turbo was meant to be used for more than a short time. It has no real heat sink so that's just a reality of what it is. I still use mine and the battery is holding up. It gets mostly used for an occasional short street jog or as a backup light that is very UL.

NPL

Enlightened
I don't think the Turbo was meant to be used for more than a short time. It has no real heat sink so that's just a reality of what it is. I still use mine and the battery is holding up. It gets mostly used for an occasional short street jog or as a backup light that is very UL.
Which is fine and how most interpret how Turbo works. My pet peeve is that high behaves similar to turbo and steps down significantly. Anybody else notice this?

Woods Walker

Which is fine and how most interpret how Turbo works. My pet peeve is that high behaves similar to turbo and steps down significantly. Anybody else notice this?

I covered that in the review:

High mode at 5:46h

"I didn't take a photo of the beam output as it looked a bit below the medium. So what happened? Per my hack math 600 mAh at 3.7 nominal volts is 2.22 watt hours. I don't know the draw of the headlamp but do not believe a Nichia 219B or Cree XP-G3 S3 can run their respected listed high output modes regulated for the entire time. So it steps down but does actually produce light at the 6 hour mark. It's probably within the rules for industry standards but just be aware it will not run the high regulated for the full 6 hours per my observations. Overall I am happy with the runtimes given the very small size of the headlamp and it's intended purpose."

Woods Walker

On a side note I am not a fan of the industry standards for stating output/runtimes. ANSI or whatever. It allows for too much confusion for consumers IMHO and over inflating of expectations by manufactures.

NPL

Enlightened
Your review was great, didn't mean to undermine it in any way. Just thought this would be the right thread to add my direct feedback. Still a great little light.

Woods Walker

Your review was great, didn't mean to undermine it in any way. Just thought this would be the right thread to add my direct feedback. Still a great little light.

I didn't take it as that way brother. :) You are correct in that the stated run times for the upper modes are misleading and this is as good of place as any to talk about it.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an NU20 CRI a few days ago, I'm really loving this thing. Totally agree with the need for a 10ish lumen mode though and since this is supposedly a running light primarlily, it should have a slow flash instead of SOS. Personally, I'd ditch the short running 270 output, make 170 turbo, 40 high, 10 medium and 1 low. Much more practical in my opinion. As long as it remains reliable though, I'm totally happy with it.